Karlovac County (light orange)
within Croatia (light yellow)
|• Župan||Ivan Vučić (HDZ)|
|• Total||3,622 km2 (1,398 sq mi)|
|• Density||36/km2 (92/sq mi)|
|ISO 3166 code||HR-04|
The town blossomed in the 18th and the 19th century after being made a free town, with the development of roads between Pannonian plains to the seaside, and waterways along the Kupa river. The 20th century wasn't so favourably inclined, but the city's recovering, once again making use of its crucial geostrategic point in Croatia.
The county itself extends towards the north to the water springs of Jamnica, and towards the south all the way down to the mountainous regions of Gorski kotar and Lika, in particular to the Bjelolasica mountain which features the largest winter sport recreation center in the country.
The county is situated in the central part of Croatian state territory and covers an area of approximately 3,622 km2 which makes this county one of the largest among 20 counties existing in Croatia. Because of its transit, traffic and geostrategic position, the County of Karlovac is one of the most important in the whole country.
It is also an intersection and major junction of the most important roads between Europe and the Adriatic coast. Karlovac County borders with the Republic of Slovenia and the Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina, and is also contiguous with four other counties: the County of Zagreb, Sisak-Moslavina County, Primorje-Gorski Kotar County and the County of Lika-Senj.
As of the census of 2011, there are 128,899 people and 48,413 households in the county. The population density is 35.5/km2. The ethnic make up of the county is 86.11% Croats, 10.40% Serbs (2011).
In the county the population is spread out with 20.7% under the age of 19, 52.0% from 19 to 60 and 27.3% older than 60 (2001).
Karlovac county is divided:
- City of Karlovac
- Town of Duga Resa
- Town of Ogulin
- Town of Ozalj
- Town of Slunj
- Municipality of Barilović
- Municipality of Bosiljevo
- Municipality of Cetingrad
- Municipality of Draganić
- Municipality of Generalski Stol
- Municipality of Josipdol
- Municipality of Krnjak
- Municipality of Lasinja
- Municipality of Netretić
- Municipality of Plaški
- Municipality of Rakovica
- Municipality of Ribnik
- Municipality of Saborsko
- Municipality of Tounj
- Municipality of Vojnić
- Municipality of Žakanje
The county assembly is composed of 43 representatives, organized as follows:
- Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ) 16
- Social Democratic Party of Croatia (SDP) 8
- Croatian People's Party (HNS) 4
- Croatian Peasants Party (HSS) 4
- Croatian Social Liberal Party (HSLS) 3
- Croatian Party of Rights (HSP) 3
- Croatian Party of Pensioners (HSU) 3
- Independent Democratic Serb Party (SDSS) 2
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011)|
- "Population by Ethnicity, by Towns/Municipalities, 2011 Census". Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics. December 2012.
- "Vijećnici Karlovačke županije" (in Croatian). Retrieved 24 July 2011.