|Birth name||Karnail Singh Gill
ਕਰਨੈਲ ਸਿੰਘ ਗਿੱਲ
February 13, 1942|
Gurusar Chak no. 259, Layallpur district, British Punjab
|Died||June 24, 2012
Jamalpur Awana, Ludhiana district, East Punjab
Karnail Gill (Punjabi: ਕਰਨੈਲ ਗਿੱਲ) was a Punjabi folk singer of Punjab. He is best known for his duets with Bibi Harneet, Narinder Biba, Gulshan Komal, Kuldeep Kaur, Parminder Sandhu, Ranjit Kaur, Sukhwant Sukhi, Surinder Kaur, Swaran Lata and many more.
Suffering from spinal cancer, he died on June 24, 2012, survived by his wife Sukhjinder Kaur, son Gurtej Singh and two daughters Kanwardeep Kaur and Kirandeep Kaur. He was cremated at his village of Jamalpur in Ludhiana district.
Early life and career
Gill was born on February 13, 1942 in a Sikh family, to father S. Mehar Singh and mother Gurdial Kaur, in the Gurusar (Chak no. 259) village of Layallpur district (renamed Faisalabad District) in British Punjab. After partition of Punjab, his village was gone in West Punjab (Pakistani Punjab) and his family migrated to Indian Punjab and settled at Jamalpur Awana village that now falls under the Ludhiana district. Later, along with singer Didar Sandhu, he worked in Punjab Police Relations for one and half-year. He married Sukhjinder Kaur in 1970; the couple had one son and two daughters.
Karnail Singh learned music from noted Punjabi singer Harcharan Grewal, Shaukin Jatt, Master Beer Chand and Jaswant Bhanwra and recorded his first song, "laddooan ne toon patt 'ti, teri tor patte patwari", written by Hardev Dilgir (also known as Dev Tharike Wala).
- lambrhan da munda boli hor bolda
- satth vich laggi ae kachehri
- teean wangu langhe ne din mittra
- "ਦੋਗਾਣਾ ਗਾਇਕੀ ਦੀਆਂ ਲੰਮੀਆਂ ਵਾਟਾਂ ਦਾ ਪਾਂਧੀ ਰਿਹਾ ਗਾਇਕ ਕਰਨੈਲ ਗਿੱਲ". News article (in Punjabi) (Chandigarh). Daily Ajit. June 25, 2012. Retrieved July 26, 2012.
- "Celebrated Punjab folk singer Karnail Gill passed away, cremated in native village". Death news (Ludhiana). PunjabNewsExpress. June 25, 2012. Retrieved July 26, 2012.
- "Karnail Gill —A gem of folk singing world". Death news. The Times of India. June 26, 2012. Retrieved July 26, 2012.
- "Punjabi folk singer Karnail Gill passes away". Death news. Hindustan Times. June 25, 2012. Retrieved July 26, 2012.