Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation
|Type||Public transport corporation|
|Industry||Public transport bus service|
|Revenue||16.3585 billion (US$270 million) (2008-09) |
Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation or KSRTC is a state-owned road transportation company in Karnataka.
KSRTC was set up in 1961 under the provisions of Road Transport Corporation Act, 1950. It is wholly owned by the Government of Karnataka. The Government of India is also a shareholder in this corporation. KSRTC is also known for its introduction of Volvo B7RLE low body city buses. These buses are air conditioned, with improved tyre suspensions, a far cry from the other old members of fleet.
Till August 1997, KSRTC had a fleet of 10,400 buses, operating about 9500 schedules. In August 1997, KSRTC was divided and a new corporation by the name Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC). In November 1997, another new road transport corporation called North Western Karnataka Road Transport Corporation (NWKRTC) was formed to cater to the transportation needs of North Western parts of Karnataka. Recently, the North Eastern Karnataka Road Transport Corporation (NEKRTC) was also formed with its corporate office in Gulbarga. The company runs a fleet of buses of all types like ordinary,semi-luxury, deluxe, and air-conditioned Volvo "Airavat" buses. The KSRTC operates services within Karnataka as well as far flung destinations such as Mumbai, Pune, Chennai, Trivandrum, Kochi, and Vijayawada, among others. The KSRTC runs different type of buses to suit every section of the society. Their main mission is “Meeting Challenges with Innovation”.
As of 2010, KSRTC was the largest state-owned Volvo fleet operator in India.
KSRTC services almost all villages in Karnataka. At present, 92% villages are served by KSRTC (6743 out of 7298 Villages) and 44% in other areas (6743 out of 7298). KSRTC operates 6463 schedules in a day covering an effective distance of 23.74 lakh km with a total fleet of 7599 buses. It transports, on an average, 24.57 lakh passengers per day.
Types of Services
Flybus: The salient features of Flybus are as follows: Flybus on Volvo multi-Axle Chassis. In-Bus pantry and Chemical Toilet. In-Bus Entertainment with 70+ channels. Artificial leather seats with increased legroom. Live display of flight timings.
Airavat Bliss: The salient features of Airavat Bliss are as follows: Dashboard controls for all cubicle actions. Vacant, occupied & Disabled status with display light. Auto Flush if the passenger has left the toilet without flushing. Hand Wash System with '10 seconds' water saving operation. Easy to operate system to help clean out waste. The onboard pantry with coffee maker, oven and freezer is designated to facilitae hot pre-packaged food as well as tea, coffee and milk. In-bus Entertainment-60 plus live channels on individual seats and Wi-Fi on the move.
Airavat Superia: The salient features of Airavat Superia are as follows: Dashboard controls for all cubicle actions. Vacant, occupied & Disabled status with display light. Auto Flush if the passenger has left the toilet without flushing. Hand Wash System with '10 seconds' water saving operation. Easy to operate system to help clean out waste.
Airavat Club Class: The salient features of Volvo 6x2 Multi Axle Inter City bus are as follows: The 13.8 mtr length fully built bus developed exclusively for passenger transport. The said buses are provided with multi axle which enhances the comfort level for long distance travel. Full air suspension, fitted with two air bellows in the front and six air bellows in the rear to offer a high degree of ride comfort. This bus is provided with good branded "carrier" make air-conditioner with excellent cooling effect to make the journey comfortable & cool. This bus is provided with 53 nos. ergonomically designed executive, comfortable, reclining luxurious passenger seats. The passenger saloon is provided with ultra modern interiors, reclining hi-tech passenger seats, imported floor carpeting, high mounted 2 LCD TVs of 26" & 17" to have better viewing pleasure for passengers. Emergency door is provided on right hand side of the bus for more safety to passengers. The window glasses are toughened and provide clear vision to the passengers. Front panel is designed to increase the driver's vision area and aesthetic look of the bus. 10 Cu mtr luggage space is provided under passenger seating area. The bus is fitted with 340 Horse power, powerful, fuel – efficient and electronically controlled Volvo D9B engine with a turbocharger and intercooler, Euro III compliant.
Mercedes Benz: The salient features of Mercedes Benz Bus Service are as follows: The 12 mtr length bus is built on 0 500 R 1830 chassis developed exclusively for passenger transport. Full Air Suspension ensures superior comfort and safety to meet the needs of the passengers The vehicle is fitted with “latest Carrier Generation-IV” make Air conditioning system which enhances the comfort level of the travelling public. 45 ergonomically designed executive passenger seats, luxurious and comfortable reclining seats are provided. The bus has pleasing interiors and night lamps. Twin foldable LCD TV screen are provided for passenger entertainment The bus has toughened window glasses and provide clear vision to the passengers. Front panel is designed to increase the driver vision area and aesthetic look of the bus. Approximately 10 Cu mtr luggage space is provided under passenger seating area. Electronic fuel Injection management OM 926LA engine presents 305 HP (output) and 122 mkgf (torque) for better fuel utilization. The engine complies with Euro-III emission standards.
Rajahamsa: The salient features of Rajahamsa Executive Bus Service are as follows: Constructed on Ashok Leyland 244” WB Chassis fitted with 165 HP Engine. Body built by Regional Workshop & out side agencies also. Chassis fitted with all Weveller suspension Fitted with Improvised Hi-Tech Reclining passenger seats of 43 seating capacity with 2x2 configuration. Provided sound proof Driver partition. Fitted with single windshield laminated glass. The interiors are covered with rexine cloth. The exterior is painted with 2K-PU metallic paint.
Airavat: The salient features of Airavat Volvo are as follows: Full Air Suspension on all four wheels for comfortable journey. 45 Ergonomically designed Executive Passenger Seats, Luxurious and Comfortable reclining seats. LCD TV provided for passenger entertainment Four Emergency Exits and one Emergency Door provided on right hand side of the bus for more safety to passengers. Light Green Tinted Toughened Glasses provided for clear vision. Mobile and Lap Top chargers are provided for passengers use. Front panel design modified to increase the driver vision area and aesthetic look of the bus. 10 Cu mt luggage space under the passenger seating area. Computerized Speed control. CRDI Ignition system.
Corona Ambaari Sleeper(A\C): The salient features of Corona Ambaari Sleeper Bus Service are as follows: The 12Mtr length sleeper coach is an all steel integral monocoque bus developed by M/s. Corona Bus Manufacturers Pvt Ltd., Pune for passengers comfortable journey Fully air suspension to ensure superior comfort and safety to meet the needs of the passengers. Fitted with “carrier” make AC 353 model air-conditioner for cooling effect which enhances the comfort level of the travelling public. 32 passenger berths (16 lower berths & 16 upper berths) with 2x1 configuration. The berths are comfortable and upholstered with PU cushions The passenger saloon is provided with ultra modern interiors, reading lamps, imported floor carpeting & partition curtains. Attractive front show and wind shield to have better Aesthetics, visibility and safety. Single piece front cowl gives better insulation and avoids dust entry into the cabin and also help in reduction in noise pollution. 8 cubic mtr. luggage spaces is provided under passenger berth area.Louver glass and also sliding window glasses are fitted to provide clear vision to the passengers. 160 Horse power Turbo charged & Inter cooler Cummins engine at the rear end at the bus so as to reduce noise pollution inside the bus saloon. Wider emergency door at the rear. Hydraulic retarder of Voith make & Anti lock braking system are provided to enhance the braking efficiency.
Non A\C Sleeper
- Depots 80
- Divisions 15
- Bus stations 14,ll
- Vehicles 8243
- Effective km per day 26.59 lakhs
- Schedules 7675
- Average traffic revenue per day Rs. 705.64 lakhs
- Average passengers travelled per day 25.73 lakhs
- Staff 37810
- Staff ratio per schedule 4.93
First By a State Transport Unit (STU)
- RDBMS based Passenger Seat Reservation System in 1998
- Web Site in 1997
- Computerized Recruitment System since 1997
- Oracle Financials
- Electronic Ticketing Machines on all of its routes
- Computerized Driving tracks for testing the candidates
- Web based Passenger Seat Reservation System since 2006
Awards and recognition
- UITP- First Px2 Political Commitment Award -2011
- Volvo Sustainable Mobility Award-2011
- 1st National FIEO – Telecom Technology Award -2011 by Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Govt. of India
- Award for Excellence-2011 by Ministry Of Urban Development Govt. of India for Best Practice for inclusive development
- National e-Governance Award-2009 for Exemplary Usage of ICT among PSUs by Ministry Personnel & Administrative Reforms, Govt. of India
- Rajiv Gandhi National Quality Award-2009 Best Large Scale Service Industry in the Country
- India Pride Gold Award -2010 Infrastructure and Transportation
- Award for Excellence-2010 by Ministry Of Urban Development Govt. of India for Best Clean Development Mechanism
- Award for Excellence-2009 by Ministry Of Urban Development Govt. of India for implementing Automated Electronic Driving Test System
- Award for Excellence-2008 by Ministry Of Urban Development Govt. of India for implementing Electronic Driving Test System
- Chief Minister’s Ratna Award for Best Performing State PSUs- 2010
- Golden Peacock Innovative Product/Service Award-2010
- Golden Peacock Eco-Innovation Award- 2010
- PRCI- Chanakya Corporate Leadership Award-2010
- Apollo-CV Best Public Bus Operator of the year- 2010
- IITK - Distinguished Alumnus Award -2011 for outstanding managerial skills in application of e-technology for modernization of urban and rural transport system
- Deccan Chronicle Green Warrior Award – 2010
- m-Billionth South Asia Award-2010
- Earth Care Award for Excellence -2010 in Climate Change Mitigation & Adaption
- SKOCH The World is Open Award- 2010
- IBM Great Mind Challenger for Business Award -2010
- Manthan South Asia Award - 2010
- IIMM Corporate Excellence Award – 2010
- Best Employer Award-2010 Award for Innovation in Recruitment
- Edward de Bone’s Award-2010 for Innovations in HR
- IBM Great Mind Challenger for Business Award for travel and transport -2011
- RASBIC Award-2010 Best Use of Technology for Recruiting & Staffing
- PRCI- Corporate Collateral Best Public Service Campaign Award-2010
- PRCI- Corporate Collateral Best Corporate Brochure Award- 2010
- IBM Great Mind Challenger for Business Award for most innovative solution in automotive-2011
- Asia’s Best Employer Award-2011
- e-India Award-2010
- Best Practice Catalogue-III-2010
- Appreciation Letter – FESLF Buses
- ASRTU (Association of State Road Transport Undertaking ) award-2011
- D.M.A.I (Digital Marketing Association of India) Synergy Award for Excellent Public Service towards its endless efforts in innovative marketing strategies.
- Digiratti Award-2012 for the successful marketing campaign that are benchmarked for Connected Marketing, using innovative social media, video, mobile and digital technology to increase marketing impact.
- SKOCH DIGITAL INCLUSION GOLD AWARD-2012 for Implementation of Intelligent Transport System At Mysore City
- KSRTC Managing Director N. Manjunatha Prasad IAS, bagged “Best Chief Executive Officer of the year 2012 Award” Instituted by the Indian Institute of Materials Management (IIMM).
- Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC)
- North Western Karnataka Road Transport Corporation (NWKRTC)
- North East Karnataka Road Transport Corporation (NEKRTC)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation.|