||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (December 2011)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014)|
19 October 1968 |
Karoline Mariechen "Karol" Meyer (born October 19, 1968 in Recife, Pernambuco is a Brazilian free-diver. She holds the highest number of world records among Brazilians. She is a Guinness Book of World Records record holder for apnea free diving, with a dive of 121 m (328 ft) for 18 minutes and 32 seconds.
Meyer began diving during childhood. She became a competitive freediver in 1998. She has gone on to hold 8 world records, 2 Pan-American Records, 30 South American records, and 6 national records. She has also won several international competitions representing Brazil.
Meyer became the first and only Brazilian woman athlete to achieve world records, and the first athlete in the freediving world to break a world record during an official freediving competition.
During her career, Meyer collect 13 victories in international events and 7 victories in national events. She achieved one of the deepest shipwreck dives in the world at Fernando de Noronha, diving 63 meters to reach the Corveta Ipiranga.
As an adventurer, she loves stay underwater just to swim with the sea creatures!
Homaged with 2 international awards as the Best Coach and Best Instrutor in the world, by Icare Trophye and recently by SUUNTO/ AIDA - International Association to Apnea Development.
Meyer is also speaker at companies, as well as at boat and dive shows, and she is also a columnist/writer for several magazines.
Besides freediving, Meyer contributes toward fundraising for needy communities, public schools. She supports programmes against child labour, and advocated for children who live in front of the sea and have parents whose income depends directly on the sea.
Meyer works with the Brazilian Islands Society and other entities to protect whales, especially Franca whales. She also contributes to the Franca Whale Project, the Tamar Project, Gouliath Groupers Brazilian Preservation and SeaShepherd as Sea Ambassador.
The following are some of Meyer's records:
- Skandalopetra: 68,9m, Bonaire 2012
- Static Apnea with pure oxygen: 18 minutes, 32 seconds
- No Limits Tandem: 121m
- Skandalopetra: 61,5m
- Female No Limits Tandem: 91m
- Static Apnea: 5'49"
- Static Apnea: 6'02 (first record done in competition)
- Static Apnea: 6'13"
- Static Apnea: 7'18"
- Variable Ballast: 93m
- Dynamic Apnea without fins: 113m (pb)
- Absolute Record and best South American No Limits: 100m
- Absolute Record and South American Free Immersion: 68m
- Dynamic Apnea with fins: 153m (pb)
- Constant Weight: 71m (pb regional)
Meyer has been an international top 10 athlete as voted by the AIDA for the past 12 years. She was honored by Ciaxa as one of the "Women who transform the world". GoOutside Magazine elected her as Best Adventurer in 2006 and 2010. Icare Trophie awarded Meyer “Best Female Freediver" in 2007 and "Best Coach" in 2006.
Other awards earned by Meyer include the following
- Guinness Book Record Holder 2011
- Medal Julio De Lamare 2008 - Brazilian Aquatic Federation
- International Trophie - "World's Absolute Freediver Awards"
- International Trophie - "Special ICARE" pela completa carreira no esporte
- Award Personality of the Year 2000/2001 - Mergulho Magazine
- "Karol Meyer Becomes a Guinness World Record Holder". Scuba Diving Magazine (Winter Park, Florida: Bonnier Corporation). Retrieved December 24, 2011.