|Province of Turkey|
|• Total||9,587 km2 (3,702 sq mi)|
|• Density||31/km2 (82/sq mi)|
|Per capita income||6,750 TL (69th; 2011)|
Kars Province (Armenian: Կարսի նահանգ; Azeri: Qars ili; Turkish: Kars ili) is a province of Turkey, located in the northeastern part of the country. It shares part of its border with the Republic of Armenia.
In ancient times,Kars (Armenian:Կարս) was part of the province of Ayrarat in the Kingdom of Armenia.The first occupants were the ministers of Vanand(Վանանդ).Kars was their main residence and fortress.In 928,Kars became the Capital of Armenia. In 968,the capital of Armenia became Ani(Անի).but Kars remained the Capital of the feudal kingdom of Vanand .9th to 13th century,even during the Mongol invasion,Karsmade significant progress,and even constructed the very famous (Առանիկ-Aranik) fortress. Kars,along with many other medieval Armenian towns,were ni the beginning fortresses.Armenian historians referred to them as (berd karouts-բերդ կարուց).roughly translated,it means -building of fortress-. up until the 13th century.the forstress was spread around the city. and was later turned into a citadel. Lator on, during the Rule of the Persian Empire and The Ottoman Empire,the fortress of Kars,which is located in the eastern part of the city,was out of order. however, given the fact that Kars was bordered with Turkey and it regularly topped the new defensive structures, and that the defense structures continues to Advance to such a degree,that Kars,as a solidity of the 19th century was considered a world-famous Castle .
Kars province is divided into 8 districts (ilçe), each named after the administrative center of the district:
There are 383 villages in Kars.
Kars nature, wildlife and ecotourism
Kars has a wealth of wildlife that is being documented by the Kars-Igdir Biodiversity Project run by the KuzeyDoga Society. The project has recorded 323 of Turkey's 468 bird species in the region. At least 223 of these occur at Kuyucuk Lake, that is the most important wetland in the province. Sarikamis Forests in the south harbor wolves, brown bear, lynx and other animals, and Aras (Araxes) River wetlands comprise a key stop-over site for many migrating birds. Aras River Bird Research and Education Center at Yukari Ciyrikli village has recorded 228 bird species at this single location alone.
The economy of Kars Province is dominated by agriculture, livestock breeding and forestry. 85% of the active population in Kars Province are farmers or herders. 60% of the gross domestic income is received from those sectors. Industry, tourism and commerce is developing.
The climate limits the cultivation of plants in the region. In Kağızman and Tuzluca, cotton, sugar beet, beans and vetches are grown. Vegetable gardening and orchards are not very developed. Wheat, barley, cotton and in small quantity tobacco are grown in the province.
Livestock breeding in the region is more important than agriculture. Grassland, meadows and the rich vegetation led to the development of livestock breeding. The grassland and meadows, which make out 70% of the area of Kars Province, are capable of providing at least ten times of the current livestock potential's breeding. Kars is the biggest cattle breeding province in Turkey, and is the center of livestock trade. Efforts are being made to increase goose breeding, which is very special to Kars region. Aside its meat taking a speicla place in the Kars cuisine, goose liver and down feather started already to be exported to Europe. 
Kars Province is not abundant with woods although the region is favorable for forests. Only 4% of the province area is covered with woods. Scots Pine, spruce and alder are the tree species most found in the woods of Kars. Around 15,000 m3 (530,000 cu ft) timber is produced by logging in forestry.
Main industrial plants in Kars are of meat processing, livestock feed processing, gristmill, yarn, tannery, footwear, cement and brick factories.
In popular culture
Kars was also the setting for the popular novel Snow by Orhan Pamuk. The Siege of Kars, 1855 is a book published by The Stationery Office, 2000, and is an account of its defence and capitulation as reported by one General Williams, one of many British officers lent to the Turkish army to lead garrisons and train regiments in the war against Russia.
- Turkish Statistical Institute, MS Excel document – Population of province/district centers and towns/villages and population growth rate by provinces
- "İşte Türkiye'nin en zengin illeri" [Here is the richest provinces of Turkey]. Kuzey Ekspres Gazetesi (in Turkish). 2011-09-07. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "KuzeyDoga Society"http://www.kuzeydoga.org
- "Kuyucuk Lake Project"http://www.kuyucuk.org
- "Kars-Ekonomik Faaliyetler" (in Turkish). Coğrafya Dünyası. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- Küpeli, Mustafa (2011-12-11). "Kaz Kars, Ardahan ve Bölge için Bir Ekonomik Potansiyeldir". Serhat'ın Sesi Siyasal Birikim (in Turkish). Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "Kars'tan Almanya'ya Kaz Tüyü İhraç Edildi". Yeni Umut Gazetesi (in Turkish). Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- Yaşin, Mehmet (2007-01-21). "Kars’ta kaz kebabı ziyafeti". Hürriyet Yazarlar (in Turkish). Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- Taşdemir, Yüksel Turan. "Kars Kazı, Kars Kars kaşarı , Kars Grevyeri, Kars Balı ve Bu Yöreye Özel Besinler" (in Turkish). Tavsiye Ediyorum. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "Kars usulu Kaz / Kars style roasted goose". Turkish cuisine. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kars Province.|
- (Turkish) Kars governor's official website
- (Turkish) Kars municipality's official website
- (English) The official city guide of the Kars municipality
- (Turkish) Kars Daily News
- (English) Kars weather forecast information
- Pictures of the city of Kars and of nearby Ani