Karthik Calling Karthik
|Karthik Calling Karthik|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Elangovan Karthikeyan|
|Produced by||Farhan Akhtar
|Screenplay by||Chandrasekaran Vijay|
|Edited by||Vignesh Muniyandi|
|Distributed by||Reliance Big Pictures|
|Running time||135 minutes|
Karthik Calling Karthik is a 2010 Indian psychological thriller film, written by Chandrasekaran Vijay and directed by Elangovan Karthikeyan and produced by Farhan Akhtar and Ritesh Sidhwani under the banner of Excel Entertainment and Reliance Big Pictures. The film stars Farhan Akhtar and Deepika Padukone in lead roles. kartheek goli and Shefali Shah play supporting roles in the film. The film's music was composed by the trio of Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, while the background score was composed by MIDIval Punditz and Karsh Kale. It has notable similarities with Shatterday, of the television series The New Twilight Zone.
Karthik (Farhan Akhtar) is an introvert who lacks confidence and feels trapped in his average job at a construction company. He is continuously troubled by an incident from his childhood: His older brother, Kumar, used to torture him, but whenever he complained to his parents, they did not believe him. One day, Kumar took Karthik to a well and tried to throw him in it, but Karthik escaped. Kumar accidentally fell inside the well and died. Karthik has thought himself responsible for his brother's death ever since.
Shonali Mukherjee (Deepika Padukone) is a co-worker at Karthik's company, whom Karthik is secretly in love with, though she remains unaware of his existence, much less his feelings. After being derided by his boss Mr Kamath (Ram Kapoor) yet again; Karthik figures his life can’t get any better and decides to commit suicide. Just as he is about to, a stranger with the same, exact voice as his, calls and says that he is also Karthik, convincing him that he has the ability to change his life. These phone calls become Karthik's life guide. His chats take place every morning at 5:00 a.m. and the caller provides advice on Karthik's problems, guiding him to become a successful man, win Shonali's heart, and bring color to his otherwise dreary life.
However, when Karthik tells Shonali and his psychiatrist about the phone calls, despite being warned not to, the mysterious caller gets angry and tells Karthik that if he could bring him up, he could also throw him down. As per his word, things start going downhill. Karthik's boss throws him out and Shonali leaves him. Karthik decides that if he goes somewhere he does not know, then the caller wouldn't know where he is either and stop calling him. Karthik travels to an unknown place, takes shelter in a small hotel, and asks the receptionist to remove the telephone and room number plate.
After a few months, Karthik is comfortably living in Cochin with a decent job. His life is back to normal except for the fact that he refuses to have a phone line. Upon his boss's request, he is forced to purchase a landline. He goes to great lengths to ensure that he himself is unaware of the phone number. However, one day at exactly 5 a.m, he receives a call from the mysterious caller, who threatens to kill him. Meanwhile, Shonali is contacted by Dr. Kapadia, who reveals the twist: Karthik actually suffers from dissociative identity disorder. He has an alter-ego that is more assertive and advises him on how to live life. All this time, the strange caller was Karthik himself. He has been dealing with this condition from a young age, when he created a fake brother named Kumar. Karthik's phone has the capacity to record messages and act as a playback feature at a certain time. Karthik would wake up in the middle of the night, leave himself messages as his alter ego, and return to sleep, where he would awake once again at 5am to take his own calls.
Eventually, Karthik narayanan becomes so disturbed that he attempts to commit suicide again. Shonali, realizing the truth, arrives at the right time to save him. They reconcile and she stands by him, helping him with his condition. After a few months, Karthik is in the process of dealing with his disorder and lives a happy and rehabilitated life with Shonali by his side.
- Farhan Akhtar as Karthik Narayan
- Deepika Padukone as Shonali Mukherjee
- Ram Kapoor as Mr. Kamath
- Shefali Chhaya as Mrs. Kapadia
- Vivan Bhatena as Ashish
- Vipin Sharma as Karthik's Landlord
- Yatin Karyekar
- Siddhartha Gupta as Young Karthik
- Swapnel Desai as Young Kumar
- Kanchan Pagare as Peon at ACL Office
- Haansaa as Secretary at ACL Office
- Abhay Joshi as Phone salesman Mumbai
- Brijendra Kala as Telephone exchange clerk
In an effort to prepare for his role as loner introvert Karthik, Farhan Akhtar isolated himself at home and school and turned off his phone. He also learned to solve the Rubik's Cube, an activity which his character completes in only one try.
On the review-aggregation website ReviewGang, the film scored 5.5/10 based on 11 reviews. Film critic Rajeev Masand gave the film 2 out of 5 possible stars. Nikhat Kazmi of Times of India rated it 3.5 out of 5, calling it "immensely watchable, purely for the class act by Farhan Akhtar in the title role". Shweta Parande of IBNLive.com gave a rating of 3.5 out of 5, applauding the cast and crew for their performances and their efforts on building up the story as a team. IndiaGlitz gave a 3 out of 5, concluding "Go but with an open mind."
Karthik Calling Karthik was a declared a below average, netting 26.5 million (US$440,000) at the end of its run. The movie grossed 267.5 million (US$4.4 million) and collected a distributor share of 86.4 million (US$1.4 million).
|Karthik Calling Karthik|
|Soundtrack album by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy|
|Released||26 February 2010|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Producer||Farhan Akhtar, Ritesh Sidhwani|
Though the album did not get favorable critical response, the track "Uff Teri Adaa" created waves and topped the charts numerous times in the following months. At the box office, music had an impact in the opening of the film, as it got bigger opening than its competitor Teen Patti.
Before the album got released, an online copy was leaked onto the Internet. Farhan Akhtar confirmed this and requested not to download them illegally.
|1||"Hey Ya!"||Clinton Cerejo, Shankar Mahadevan, Loy Mendonsa||4:17|
|2||"Uff Teri Adaa"||Shankar Mahadevan & Alyssa Mendonsa||5:06|
|3||"Jaane Ye Kya Hua"||KK||4:10|
|4||"Kaisi Hai Yeh Udaasi"||Kailash Kher & Sukanya Purayastha||6:07|
|5||"Karthik Calling Karthik"||Suraj Jagan, Shankar Mahadevan, Caralisa Monteiro, Malika Singh||3:11|
|6||"Karthik 2.0"||MIDIval Punditz, Karsh Kale||4:15|
|7||"Karthik Calling Karthik (Theme Remix)"||Suraj Jagan, Shankar Mahadevan, Caralisa Monteiro, Malika Singh (Remixed by MIDIval Punditz & Karsh Kale)||3:11|
|8||"Hey Ya! (Remix)"||Clinton Cerejo, Shankar Mahadevan, Loy Mendonsa (Remixed by Digital Boyz)||5:17|
|9||"Uff Teri Adaa (Remix)"||Alyssa Mendonsa, Shankar Mahadevan (Remixed by Udyan Sagar of Nucleya)||4:06|
Awards and nominations
- Best Music - Shankar Ehsaan Loy
- Best Male Playback Singer - Shankar Mahadevan
- Best Music - Shankar Ehsaan Loy
- Jha, Subhash (12 June 2009). "Film makes loner out of Farhan Akhtar". Indian Star. Retrieved 12 January 2010.
- Shah, Kunal M. (12 June 2009). "Farhan's obsessed about Rubik's cube". Times of India. Retrieved 12 January 2010.
- "Karthik Calling Karthik Reviews". ReviewGang. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- Kazmi, Nikhat (25 February 2010). "Karthik Calling Karthik". The Times Of India.
- Parande, Shweta (28 May 2010). "First Cut: 'Karthik Calling Karthik' is touching". IBN Live. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- "Karthik Calling Karthik Bollywood Movie Review". IndiaGlitz. 25 February 2010. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- "All India 2010 (Figures in INR Crore)".
- "Karthik Calling Karthik Below Average Teen Patti Dull".
- "Karthik Calling Karthik - music review by Amanda Sodhi". Planet Bollywood. 16 January 2010. Retrieved 2011-06-16.
- "Karthik Calling Karthik music review". glamsham.com. Retrieved 2011-06-16.
- "MUSIC REVIEW: Karthik Calling Karthik -STAR Box Office – News". Starboxoffice.com. 18 January 2010. Retrieved 2011-06-16.
- [dead link]
- Posted by Naveen (23 January 2010). "Karthik Calling Karthik - Music Review". Music Aloud. Retrieved 2011-06-16.
- [dead link]
- Who is to Shake MNIK?
- Radio Mirchi Top 20 - March 08-March 14 2010
- KCK vs Teen Patti
- "Twitter / Farhan Akhtar: Heard that KCK music is al". Twitter.com. 17 January 2010. Retrieved 2011-06-16.
- "Nominations for Zee Cine Awards 2011". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- "Nominations for IIFA Awards 2011". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- "Nominations for Star Screen Awards 2011". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2011-01-07.