Shahid Abbaspour Dam
|Shahid Abbaspour Dam
|Dam and spillways|
|Type of dam||Arch dam|
|Height||200 m (660 ft)|
|Length||380 m (1,250 ft)|
|Total capacity||3.139 km3 (2,545,000 acre·ft)|
|Surface area||54.8 km2 (21 sq mi)|
|Commission date||1976 - 2006|
|Turbines||8 × 250 MW Francis-type|
|Installed capacity||2,000 MW|
The Shahid Abbaspour Dam (also known as Karun-1 Dam) is a large arch dam providing hydroelectricity from the Karun River; it is located about 50 kilometres (31 mi) northeast of Masjed Soleiman, in the province of Khuzestan, Iran, and originally completed in 1976, and formerly named "Reza Shah Kabir Dam". The dam was the first of a series of dams planned for development on the Karun River.
The dam is a double-curvature concrete arch type, 200 m (660 ft) high from the foundation rock. Its crest width is 6 m (20 ft). The arch dam design was chosen for the narrow, rocky gorge where it is located. The double-curvature arch design withstands the pressure created by the reservoir with a minimum of concrete, because the shape transmits the force of the reservoir downward and laterally, against the rock foundation; this has the effect of strengthening the dam concrete and its foundation by keeping it in compression.
The dam site houses two power stations, one built in 1976 and another built in 1995. Each contains four water turbines connected to electric generators of 250 MW, for a combined generating capacity of 2,000 MW. The dam's electrical output is connected to the national electrical grid, with most generation occurring during periods of peak demand for electricity.
- "Hydroelectric Power Plants in Iran". IndustCards. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- Shahid Abbaspour dam, translation from German.
- Peter Beaumont, Water Resource Development in Iran, in The Geographical Journal, Vol. 140, No. 3 (Oct., 1974), pp. 418-431
- P.T. Shourijed, A Soroush, N. Nemati, A.H Izad-doustdar, Karun River hydropower cascade development and its socio- environmental impacts in L. Berga, et al. (eds), Dams and Reservoirs, Societies and Environment in the 21st Century ..., Volume 1, (2006)
- Iran Ministry of Energy News
- "Dam basics". Retrieved 2008-06-11.