||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008)|
|Chinese name||吳雨霏 (traditional)|
|Chinese name||吴雨霏 (simplified)|
|Pinyin||wu2 yu3 fei1 (Mandarin)|
|Jyutping||ng4 jyu5 fei1 (Cantonese)|
9 June 1986 |
|Genre(s)||Pop rock, C-rock, Cantopop & Mandopop, Synthpop|
|Instrument(s)||Vocals, guitar, piano, flute, drums|
|Label(s)||EMI, Gold Label Records(2002-2011)
Cinepoly Records (2011-present)
Kary Ng (born 9 June 1986) is a pop rock singer in Hong Kong. When she debuted, she had been a member of a music group, Cookies; however, the members of Cookies were eventually arranged to explore their respective solo careers in 2005, and the group is now disbanded. She had temporarily been the lead vocals of rock band Ping Pung in 2004, but Ping Pung had also disbanded after only releasing one album that same year. Commencing in 2005, Ng had officially begun developing her career as a solo artist.
In 2002, at age 15, she was one of the nine members and also youngest of the girl band Cookies, signed under record giant Gold Label of EMI Hong Kong. That same year, she became the youngest recipient to have ever earned a CRHK music award when Cookies were awarded "Best Group Newcomer - Bronze Award"; she was 16 at the time and currently still holds this record. Her male counterpart of this record is Nicholas Tse, who was 17 when he received "Best Male Newcomer - Silver Award" in 1999.
In 2003, Cookies were downsized from the original nine members to only four members. Ng was one of the four members who successfully remained with the group, along with Stephy Tang, Theresa Fu, and Miki Yeung.
In 2006, She released her solo debut album "With A Boy like You". Her song 「愛你變成恨你」won her her first Commercial Radio Hong Kong Top Ten Gold Songs award. At the time, Ng had made a record of being the youngest female singer who had ever been awarded with a Top Ten Gold Song award from CRHK at the age of 20; she had kept this record until 2012, when Kimberley Chen, a Taiwanese singer, won a Top Ten Gold Song award from CRHK at the age of 18.
In 2007, her second solo album, "In Control", earned her the "Media Award - Album" from the Four Station Joint Music Awards, which presents its awards based on charting results from all four of the music stations in Hong Kong. She was the second female singer to have ever received this award, with Miriam Yeung being the first in 2004. She is currently the youngest female recipient of this award, as she was only 21 at the time; her male counterpart is, again, Nicholas Tse, who received the same award in 1999 for his album "Believe", when he was 19.
In January 2008, Kary held three shows for her first concert "Kary Lady K Live 08". On 30 May 2008, she also appeared as the special guest for Leo Ku's North American The Magic Moments Concert in Toronto, Canada in front of a crowd of 10,000 people.
In April 2008, Ng had won the award for "Best Original Film Song" for「逼得太緊」at the 27th Hong Kong Film Awards, with the track being the theme song of the film, Love Is Not All Around. The film had been nominated in only two categories, with the other being Linda Chung nominated for Best New Performer; "Best Original Film Song" was the only award the film took home that night. 「逼得太緊」proved to be her most successful song at music awards shows, as it had won a Top Ten Songs of the Year award from each of the four radio stations in Hong Kong.
In July 2008, her 3rd album "Lady K: Transformation" was released. Kary began experimenting with various styles of pop while keeping her trademark rock sound, as there are notable synthpop, R&B, contemporary R&B and dance-pop undertones on several tracks of the album. In December, her first Best Selection album "Kary 18 CUTS" was released, along with three new songs.
In February 2009, she performed at the S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Charity Gala at Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada with many other artists. In October, the exclusive Asian Bonus Track of the song "Everyday" (in Cantonese) was out, with singer Justin Lo for the smash hit Disney Channel Original Movie, High School Musical 2 (soundtrack).
On 24 April 2009, Kary Ng and Alex Fong appeared at the Melbourne Arts Center for their Melbourne '09 Show. In the same year, her new EP "Keep Breathing" was out. The promotion for the EP included "Neway Music Live 09 x Kary".
On 30 January 2011, Kary Ng had her first concert, Kary On Live 2011, in Hong Kong Coliseum. Her EP, Carry On, was out before concert and it was the last record with her previous record company Gold Label Records. In the same year, she signed Cinepoly Records. In October, Kary Ng became the only Asian female singer to perform in the Universal Music Group's annual summit in South Korea.
In 2012, Kary Ng reached another milestone in her singing career, as she received the "Best Female Singer － Bronze Award" from the CRHK Music Awards, marking the first "Best Female Singer" award from the CRHK Music Awards that she had ever received.
In 2013, Kary Ng held her second concert in Hong Kong Coliseum, The Present Concert 2013 on January 8 and 9. At17 and Gigi Leung appeared as planned guest performers while her previous fellow colleagues Justin Lo and Stephy Tang, Miki Yeung, and Angela Au appeared as surprise guest performers; Lo appeared on the January 8th show while the three former Cookies members appeared on the January 9th show. On May 11 of the same year, Ng held another show of The Present Concert 2013 in Macau at The Venetian Macao. On November 20 of the same year, Kary Ng released her 12th album, State of Mind; it is the first album where Ng had participated in the compositions of each recorded track. 「生我的命」 from the album received a Top Ten Song award from the CRHK Music Awards, making it the first time Ng has received a Top Ten Song award for one of her own compositions. It is also the first year where Ng had received an "Outstanding Singer Award" from the RTHK Top 10 Gold Songs Awards.
Cookies (as a member of girl band)
- April 2002 - Happy Birthday
- 23 Dec, 2002 - Merry Christmas
- 13 Aug, 2003 - All the Best (新曲 + 精選)
- January 2004 - 4 Play
- 17 Dec, 2004 - 4 In Love
Ping Pung (as a member of rock band)
- 20 Aug, 2004 - Love & Hate
- 26 January 2006 - With A Boy Like You
- 8 June 2007 - In Control
- 16 July 2008 - Lady K Transformations
- 12 December 2008 - Kary 18 CUTS (New + Best Selection)
- 16 October 2009 - Keep Breathing EP
- 06 Aug, 2010 - Kary + Hardpack EP 合+歡
- 28 January 2011 - Carry On
- 15 November 2011 - Myself (我本人)
- 18 November 2011 - Simpler than LOVE (New + Best Selection)
- 20 July 2012 - My January
- 20 November 2013 - State of Mind
- 26 May 2014 - Across
- 22 August 2005- 903 id club Sammy & Kitty Drama Show - Viva l'amour
- 17 May 2006 - All About Women (金牌女兒紅)- 偏愛(with Stephy Tang (鄧麗欣))
- 15 August 2006 - Love @ First Note Original Movie Soundtrack (CD+DVD)
- 14 June 2007 - Another Chivas Music Experience Concert Live - 飛女正傳
- 26 July 2007 - Chan Fai Yeung - 12 Faces Of Women (CD+DVD) Track 12- 想這樣得那樣
- 27 August 2008 - Theme Songs From Gold Label (2CD) - 距離
- 18 June 2009 - Chinese Paladin 3 OST - 生生世世愛
- 24 July 2009 - Beaming - Try... (with Rubberband)
- 25 April 2012 - ReImagine Leslie Cheung (CD + DVD) - 潔身自愛
- 4 March 2008 - Kary Lady K live 08
- 23 May 2008 - MOOV Live 吳雨霏 (digital album)
- 13 April 2011 - Kary On Live 2011 (DVD/Blu-ray)
- 26 March 2013 - The Present Concert
||Debut film, along with other Cookies members|
||Musical Short Film, directed by Andy Lau, for raising the awareness about AIDS|
||Theme Song: 「愛是最大權利」|
||Voice Role (Cantonese Version)|
||First Lead Role in a film|
||Voice Role for Cantonese Dub; character portrayed by Wong Yat Bing; Theme Song:「逼得太緊」|
||Co-leads with Stephy Tang|
||Voice Role (Cantonese Version)|
- 5 January 2005 - 903 Hit Four Concert with Shawn Yue, Wilfred Lau, Fiona Sit
- 11, 13, 14 January 2008 - Kary Lady K live 08 in Kowloonbay International Trade & Exhibition Centre Star Hall
- 15 November 2008 - 903 Id Club with Leo Ku, Ivana Wong, Louis Cheung
- 24 April 2009 - Kary n Alex Concert in The Arts Centre (Melbourne) (with Alex Fong)
- 16 October 2009 - Neway Music Live 09 x Kary in Kowloonbay International Trade & Exhibition Centre Rotunda 3
- 30 January 2011 - Kary On Live 2011 in Hong Kong Coliseum
- 7 November 2011 - Metro Radio HD Digital Concert in AsiaWorld-Expo Arena with Eason Chan, Paul Wong & The Postman
- 5 October 2012 - Kary Ng Myself Concert 2012 in Guangzhou Zhongshan Memorial Hall
- 8, 9 January 2013 - Kary Ng The Present Concert in Hong Kong Coliseum
- 11 May 2013 - The Present Concert in Macau The Venetian's Cotai Arena
- 21 May 2013 - 903 Id Club with Fiona Sit, Ivana Wong, Eman Lam
- 7 Juin 2014 - Summerhits Macau in Macau The Venetian's Cotai Arena with Eric Suen, Kelvin Kwan, Pong Nam, Robynn and Kendy
Ng had dated professional tennis player, Brian Hung, from 2007 to 2011. During the press conference for her first Hong Kong Coliseum concert, Kary On Live 2011 in December 2011, Ng revealed that she and Hung have parted peacefully after four years of dating。 During her Kary On Live 2011 concert, as an introduction to her song 「絕配」, Ng made a speech that alluded to her past relationship with Hung:
Ng had also previously dated actor Shawn Yue. The couple's relationship was first spotted by the media on Valentine's Day of 2013, when paparazzi photos were snapped of the couple holding hands while walking around Stanley. The exact time of when Ng and Yue had started dating is unknown, but Yue had later expressed that he and Ng had been dating for "a while" before the media took notice. This corresponds with Yue being sighted at Ng's second Hong Kong Coliseum concert, The Present Concert 2013． Yue was also the director of Ng's music video for her single, 「人非草木」, which was released in November 2012. According to media reports, besides directing the music video himself, Yue had also invited the cinematographer of Love in a Puff (starring Yue), Jason Kwan, to handle the cinematography of the music video, as well as his friend, actor Tony Yang, to star in the video for Ng's single.
Their relationship continued to be "implied" until April 2013, when reporters had run into Yue driving with Ng at his side to Causeway Bay for dinner. Yue had come out first to retrieve his vehicle, and when reporters asked if he was dining with his girlfriend, he replied with a simple "Yes", and Ng appeared a few minutes later.
On June 30, 2013, Ng had suddenly posted an announcement on her official Facebook page, indicating that she and Yue had parted ways peacefully.
After Ng's announcement, many rumors regarding the reason of the split surfaced, and they mostly circulated around Ng being "too clingy" and that the couple frequently fought with another. While Ng gave little response regarding the split aside from her official announcement, Yue had been quick to clarify the said rumors; he denied all of the media rumors reported at the time, such as those about Ng being the one who pursued him, about Ng being too clingy, and about the couple frequently having arguments. Yue firmly declared that they parted ways peacefully and that the decision was made by both Ng and himself. He continued to express that it is unfair that the media reports are all putting Ng in a negative light and had ended off the interview by requesting for the media to cease their misunderstandings of Ng.
- 進化論 吳雨霏
- 余文樂與女友吳雨霏曾分手 女追男後復合
- 2006年度叱吒樂壇流行榜頒獎典禮 - 得獎名單
- 2007年度叱吒樂壇流行榜頒獎典禮 - 得獎名單
- 吴雨霏演唱会落幕 一朝得宠要做最年轻一姐
- 第27屆香港電影金像獎得獎名單 - 新浪網 - 新聞
- "Alex & Kary Melbourne 09 Show". greentix.com.au. Retrieved October 12, 2011.
- 傳紅館開騷招人妒忌 Kary與Stephy心照懶理謠言
- "Canto-pop stardom beckons after Kary Ng wows her label's bosses in South Korea". South China Morning Post. Retrieved October 12, 2011.
- 吳雨霏紅館大尺度開唱 自摸托胸台上換衫輪番轟炸
- 吳雨霏 The Present Concert 澳門站
- "Kary Ng Filmography". imdb.com. Retrieved April 4, 2010.
- "Kary Ng Filmography". chinesemov.com. Retrieved April 4, 2010.
- "Event Details: 新城極唱數碼HD音樂會". asiaworld-expo.com. Retrieved October 12, 2011.
- "Eason + Kary + Paul & The Postman齊齊唱在深秋(in Chinese)". entnewsmag.com. Retrieved October 12, 2011.
- 歎(嘆)與圈外人戀愛甚難 Kary自揭跟網球王子分手
- 吳雨霏 － 絕配 (Kary On Live 2011)
- 余文樂執導MV撮合「情侶檔」 吳雨霏楊祐寧玩煙花互攬煙靭
- 余文樂稱女友 吳雨霏臉紅紅
- Kary Ng - Facebook Announcement regarding break-up with Shawn Yue
- 余文樂分手維護吳雨霏 稱不想輿論誤解