Calabrese in February of 2014
April 20, 1947 |
Chicago, Illinois, US
|Cooking style||Plant-based, raw vegan|
Karyn Calabrese (born April 20, 1947) is an American raw foodist and restaurateur. Her first restaurant, Karyn's Raw Bistro, is the longest-standing gourmet raw food restaurant in the United States.
Calabrese grew up in Hyde Park, a South Side neighborhood of Chicago. Calabrese worked as a professional model as a teenager and into her twenties, and was featured in national magazine and television commercials.
Calabrese became a professional raw foodist in the effort of making herself and others healthier. In the early 1980s, she hosted a support group at her home and would post signs in health food stores saying "meeting in my home, alternative thinking discussions, bring a dish to share." Within six months, the group grew from six people to 90. Soon after, Calabrese decided to transition careers from modeling to cooking and consulting about the raw and vegan lifestyle.
Since then, Calabrese has opened three restaurants (Karyn's Raw Bistro, Karyn's Cooked, and Karyn's On Green), a market (Karyn's Fresh Corner), a meal program (Karyn's At Home), a holistic therapy center (Karyn's Inner Beauty Center and O2 Day Spa), a branded line of food, a cookbook, a cleanse guide, and a natural make-up and skin care line. Karyn also teaches cleanse workshops and speaks regularly on the subject of raw foodism, holistic therapies and natural longevity.
Karyn's On Green
Karyn's Raw Bistro
Karyn's Raw Bistro is the longest-standing gourmet raw food restaurant in the United States.
Also connected to the restaurant is Karyn's Fresh Corner, a raw and organic market, and Karyn's Inner Beauty Center and O2 Day Spa, a holistic treatment center. Karyn's Raw Bistro is located in Chicago's Lincoln Park.
- Cleansing With Karyn: Secrets for Inner Healing and Outer Beauty 2011 ISBN 978-1-57067-264-4
- Karyn's Conscious Comfort Foods: Recipes for Everyday Life 2013 ISBN 978-1-57067-275-0
Awards and recognition
- Hevrdejs, Judy (23 March 2012). "Remarkable Woman: Karyn Calabrese". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- Doctor, Fruit (7 August 2012). "The Karyn Effect: Karyn Calabrese-65 year old vegan". www.thefruitdoctor.com. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- Williams, Sheree (27 December 2013). "Holistic Dining with Karyn Calabrese". Cuisine Noir. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- Hingle, Lynnette (25 October 2011). "What Is Karyn Calabrese's Detox Diet?". www.livestrong.com. Livestrong. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- Val Warner and Karyn Calabrese (2012). Karyn Calabrese on WCL (television) (television). Chicago: ABC. Archived from the original on 17 January 2012. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "Karyn's On Green- Chicago". Zagat.com. Zagat Survey. 2014. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Karyn's Cooked- Chicago". Zagat.com. Zagat Survey. 2014. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- Burton, Sinya; Kitnick, Sara (21 February 2014). "Beyonce's Trainer Share Stares Exact Vegan Diet". E! Online. E! Entertainment Television. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- Donnaly, Danity (14 December 2013). "CELEB SPOTTING: Jay-Z and Beyonce Go Vegan in Chicago". CelebrityVIPlounge.com. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- Gomez, Luis (16 December 2013). "Citing: Beyoncé dines at vegan-friendly Karyn's Cooked". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- Karydes, Megy (October 2013). "Eating Raw Doesn't Mean Abandoning Lasagna". Natural Awakenings. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- "Karyn Calabrese Named 'Fabulous At Every Age'". www.nachicagonorth.com. Natural Awakenings. Jan 2014. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- Ravindra, Shanna (2013). "Meet the Fabulous At Every Age Finalists". www.harpersbazaar.com. Hearst Communications, Inc. Retrieved 23 February 2014.