Kasenetz-Katz Singing Orchestral Circus
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2010)|
Original cast recording
- 1910 Fruitgum Company
- Ohio Express
- Music Explosion
- Lt. Garcia's Magic Music Box
- Teri Nelson Group
- 1989 Musical Marching Zoo
- J.C.W. Rat Finks
- St. Louis Invisible Marching Band
According to the inner gatefold cover's liner notes, the "supergroup" consisted of 46 members. However, the album cover itself only shows 33 members (plus Kasenetz and Katz in tuxedos) while the individual inner cover photos total 37 (excluding the non-existent St. Louis Invisible Marching Band, whose photo is represented by a white block).
To add to the confusion of the actual number of participants, the LP package came with a page of stamps with each member of the "supergroup", including their names and the individual group he or she represents. The members of The Teri Nelson Group (except Teri Nelson herself) are shown as INVISIBLE BAND on the stamps.
Side 2 opens up with Music Explosion leader Jamie Lyons announcing the individual members of the newer or lesser-known groups. Some of the names mentioned do not coincide with the members shown on the stamps.
For Super K's second effort (renamed "Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus"), the roster was reduced to five groups. Remaining were The 1910 Fruitgum Company, Ohio Express and Music Explosion, with the other groups replaced by Shadows Of Knight (who had just been acquired by Super K and signed to Buddah's Team label) and White Whale label group Professor Morrison's Lollipop. Despite these representations, the tracks were actually recorded by studio musicians with lead vocals by Ohio Express lead vocalist Joey Levine.
Unlike the first album, this was more of a straightforward studio album without the "concept" theme. It yielded the Top 25 hit "Quick Joey Small (Run Joey Run)". Also included were the Shadows Of Knight's minor hit "Shake", but with Levine's vocals replacing Jim Sohns' original vocal track.
1969 and beyond
After a failed attempt to combine bubblegum music with the likes of composers Beethoven, Mozart and others with the album Classical Smoke (as "Kasenetz-Katz Orchestral Circus"), the K-K concept popped up occasionally in the 1970s but came to an end with a final single in 1977.
Kasenetz and Katz are releasing their brand new album in 2009, calling themselves Kasenetz and Katz Allstarz Band, featuring Jaymee Lynn Frankel, Lianne Frankel, Lisa Ganz, Kiirstin Calister-Kuhi, Donna & Laura Macaluso, Don Chaffin and more.
Discography w/Billboard chart peak positions
- "Down In Tennessee" (#124) / "Mrs. Green" -- Buddah 52—7/68
- "Quick Joey Small (Run Joey Run)" (#25) / "(Poor Old) Mr. Jensen" -- Buddah 64—10/68 (UK No. 19)
- "I'm In Love With You" (#105) / "To You, With Love" -- Buddah 82—1/69
- Shown as by "Kasenetz-Katz Super Cirkus"; B-side is an excerpt of the A-side recorded backwards and slowed down to 16 RPM speed!
- "Embrasez-Moi" / "Mrs. Green" -- Buddah 90—1969
- "When He Comes" / "Ah-La" -- Bell 966—1970
- Shown as by "Kasenetz-Katz Fighter Squadron"
- "Bubblegum March" / "Dong-Dong-Diki-Di-Ki-Dong" -- Super K 109—1970
- "Symphony #9" / "Blue Danube Waltz" -- Super K (# unknown) -- 1971
- Shown as by "Kasenetz-Katz Orchestral Circus"
- "Mama Lu" / "Collide" -- MagnaGlide 329—1975
- Shown as by "Kasenetz-Katz Super Cirkus"
- "Heart Get Ready For Love" / "Jungle Junk" -- Epic 50443—1977
- Shown as by "K & K Super Cirkus"
- Kasenetz-Katz Singing Orchestral Circus -- Buddah BDS-5020—1968
- Intro / We Can Work It Out/Count Dracula / Place In The Sun/Jamie Lyons Intro. / You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling / (Poor Old) Mr. Jensen / Down In Tennessee / Intro (Jamie Lyons introduces the new groups) / Little Bit Of Soul / Simon Says / Latin Shake / Mrs. Green / Hey Joe / Yesterday/All Gone ("Taps")
- Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus -- Buddah BDS-5028—1968
- Quick Joey Small (Run Joey Run) / Let Me Introduce You (To The Kasenetz-Katz Orchestral Circus) / Easy To Love / Log On Fire / Shake / I'm In Love With You / New York Woman / Up In The Air / I Got It Bad Your You / Down At Lulu's / The Super Circus
- Classical Smoke (Kasenetz-Katz Orchestral Circus) -- Super K SKS-6001—1969
- Symphony #9 /G Minor Symphony / Evening Star / Fugue / La Traviata / New World Symphony / Bouree / Nocturne / Blue Danube Waltz / Orgy Of Lust / String Quartet