|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Kashid is popular mainly because of its white sand, blue seas, green mountains, paddy fields, and rivulets. Kashid has a 3 km stretch of beach tucked in between two rocky hillocks with Casuarina groves all along the seashore. This is by far the best beach in this part of the Konkan region and, though absolutely deserted on weekdays, the town can attract its fair share of week-end holiday makers. There are a few small hotels in Kashid as the rest of the area is privately owned.
The waves here are unusually high and can be a paradise for surfing. The waves can reach a height of 5–6 feet even during the non-monsoon months. However they are dangerously high during the monsoons and surfing is not recommended during the months of June to September.
Kashid was not known as a tourist attraction till the mid 90s. It was only after travelers to Murud Janjira started stopping to spend some time after noticing the beauty of the beach .
While the train connectivity is not very good, the arrival of the Konkan Railway has ensured that this area is now more accessible.
The road access is very good:
- 160 km from Mumbai but shorter if travelled via Navi Mumbai (Vashi)
- 135 km from Thane
- 110 km from Navi Mumbai (Vashi)
- 170 km from Pune (via Mulshi)
- Around 170-180 km from Pune (via Khopoli - Mumbai Pune Expressway)
- Buses plying regularly between Mumbai central - Murud halt at Kashid
- Buses plying regularly between Thane - Murud halt at Kashid
- Frequent service are available for Alibaug from Mumbai, Thane. From there buses are available for Murud which halt at Kashid village
One more thing instead of staying in a hotel it is better to look for accommodation at cottages built by local people. They serve awesome Konkan food.
- Kashid travel guide from Wikivoyage