Kashmere Gardens Elementary School
The school opened in 1949; it was named after the neighborhood.
In 1998, the school had high Texas Assessment of Academic Skills (TAAS) results; for instance all of the school's fourth grade students passed the reading and mathematics portions of the test, 100% of third graders passed the TAAS reading test, and 99% of third graders passed the TAAS mathematics test. 88 percent of all tested Kashmere Gardens students passed all TAAS sections. The school had a largely low income African American student body. The school was used in HISD's publicity campaign highlighting the district's high test scores. A cheating scandal regarding the school began in the northern hemisphere spring of 1999. The school's TAAS results in 1999 were far below that of the results in 1998. 17% of the school's fourth graders passed all TAAS sections. 20% of the school's third graders passed the mathematics test. 54% of the third graders passed the reading test. 29% of all Kashmere Gardens students passed all TAAS sections in 1999.
In 2008 criminals systematically burglarized several area schools, including Kashmere Gardens.
Students are required to wear school uniforms. The Texas Education Agency specifies that the parents and/or guardians of students zoned to a school with uniforms may apply for a waiver to opt out of the uniform policy so their children do not have to wear the uniform; parents must specify "bona fide" reasons, such as religious reasons or philosophical objections.
- "Kashmere Gardens Elementary School Attendance Boundary." Houston Independent School District. Retrieved on January 29, 2009.
- Microsoft Word - list-2003.doc
- "School Histories: the Stories Behind the Names." Houston Independent School District. Retrieved on January 29, 2009.
- Connelly, Richard. "Grade Charades?" Houston Press. July 1, 1999. Retrieved on February 23, 2010.
- Connelly, Richard. "Someone Hates Kashmere Gardens Schools." Houston Press. Monday July 21, 2008. Retrieved on February 24, 2010.
- "Dress Code." Kashmere Elementary School. Retrieved on January 29, 2009.
- "DOCKET NO. 008-R5-901." Texas Education Agency. Accessed October 13, 2008.
- "Key Middle School Attendance Boundary." Houston Independent School District. Retrieved on January 29, 2009.
- "Kashmere High School Attendance Boundary." Houston Independent School District. Retrieved on January 29, 2009.