Kashmiri Shaikh (Urdu: کشمیری شيخ ) mainly live in Kashmir regions of Pakistan and India. The Kahmiri Shaikhs are considered to be a clan of Punjabi Muslims of Kashmiri origin found predominantly in Pakistan Punjab and also in India.
After the advent of Islam into Afghanistan and South Asia, a significant number of Hindu Brahmins and. Khastiya's converted to Islam and adopted the title of Shaikh.The largely belonged to Bhatt clan.In Punjab, they are known as Kashmiri Shaikh. The Kashmiri Shaikhs are mostly urban and do not practice agriculture.
Kashmiri Shaikh's of Kotli are living in the Sarhota and Karthoth region of Kotli. They have been settled there for many years, currently some people of the Sarhota/Karthoth area are known as Butt, but they are all descendants of the Shaikh tribe regardless of the fact that they call themselves Butt etc. today.
|“||'According to the census return the number of Kashmiri Musulmans, who make up 60% of the inhabitants of the Jhelum valley, was 765,442. They are no doubt mostly descendants of various Hindu castes, perhaps in the main of Hill Brahmans , but Islam has wiped out all tribal distinctions.||”|
|“||'The Hindu Kashmiri Pandits numbered 55,276.||”|
- Raees e Azam of Taxila(Entitled By Shahenshah E Iran), "HH Alhaj Shaikh karam Ellahi","Ameer e karwan" of "Hajj" pilgrims from Pakistan and custodian of Hajj affairs during Ayub Khan's regeme,his reference is mentioned in 'Shahab Nama'.He was also member of "Electoral College",which used to elect the president of "Islamic Republic Of Pakistan."
- Sheikh Abdullah,first prime minister of state of kashmir.
- Sheikh Ghulam Mohammad, Owner of G.M & CO.
- Shaikh Akhtar Rasool CEO of Infinity Solutions.
- Shaikh M. Anwar, Ex-MPA (Punjab) Pakistan
- Sheikh Muhammad Anwar, Member Provincial Assembly Punjab
- Shaikh Sahib Din, Qanungo and Hakim, Sangh, Mirpure, Azad Kashmir
- Shaikh Fazal Alam ASP, Mirpure, Azad Kashir
- Shaikh Fazal Latif, DSP, Mirpure, Azad Kashmir. Afreedom movement leader who spearheaded attack on Kotli and Mirpure in 1947-48
- Lt General Umer Farooq Shaikh, Pakistan Army, Mirpure Azad Kashmir
- Sheikh Ghulam Mohmad,rtd labour officer from saloora Ganderbal srinagar Kashmir heirs from sheikh dynasty since hundred of years.
- Sheikh Manzoor Hussian bagh azad kashmir. Chairman Al Sheikh Welfare Association
- Sheikh Omer Abdullah, Chief Minister, Ajk.
- The Panjab, North-West Frontier Province and Kashmir by Sir James Douie 1901 published by Low priced Publications page 106
- The Panjab, North-West Frontier Province and Kashmir by Sir James Douie published by Low priced Publications page 107