Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
|Kasturba Medical College|
|Motto in English||Inspired by Life|
|Undergraduates||250 per year (incl. 28 foreign/NRI students)|
|Postgraduates||133 per year|
|Doctoral students||34 per year|
|Location||Manipal, Karnataka, India
|Affiliations||Medical Council of India|
Established by Dr T.M.A. Pai on 30 June 1953, KMC Manipal is one of the most prestigious and premier medical colleges in India. KMC Manipal has been ranked among the top 3 medical colleges in India both by The Hindu and India Today, preceded only by AIIMS, New Delhi and Christian Medical College & Hospital, Vellore. KMC Manipal was also ranked among the top 5 medical colleges by both the Hindustan Times and the India Today-Nielsen Survey (2014).
KMC was the first self financing medical college in India.Today, students from 44 countries have graduated from KMC, and the medical degree (MBBS) is recognized worldwide, including by the General Medical Council, ECFMG, Australian Medical Council and Malaysian Medical Council among several others.
Previously, KMC was under the purview of the Mangalore University. In 1993, the government of India granted Deemed University status to Manipal University (formerly known as MAHE) which saw KMC coming under its wing.
KMC has exchange programs with Loma Linda University, USA, Operation Eyesight Universal, Canada, Tayside University, Dundee, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA and Maastricht University, the Netherlands.
- 1 Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore
- 2 Location
- 3 Rankings (Manipal & Mangalore)
- 4 Accreditation
- 5 Admission to Undergraduate courses
- 6 MARENA (Manipal Indoor Sports Arena)
- 7 MAP (Museum of Anatomy and Pathology)
- 8 Libraries
- 9 Simulation Centre
- 10 Student Life
- 11 Research
- 12 Postgraduate courses
- 13 Super specialty
- 14 Teaching hospitals
- 15 References
- 16 External links
Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore
The college started with only the pre-clinical section at Manipal and the students had to go to Mangalore for their clinical training. With the clinical program commencing at Manipal in 1969 with the setting up of Kasturba Hospital, it became a full-fledged independent college and Mangalore becoming a separate constituent college, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore. Today both the colleges are clubbed together under the same name i.e. Kasturba Medical College and share a common entrance exam, chancellor and several facilities among other things, with both the college located at a distance of 45 minutes by road. Even in ranking surveys and reports, both the colleges are clubbed together and provided a common ranking under the name of Kasturba Medical College, Manipal. Also the degree certificates are provided under the name of Kasturba Medical College(Manipal University) to students of both the colleges at a common graduation ceremony held at the T M A Pai Convention Centre in Mangalore.
Manipal, home to Kasturba Medical College, is in the rocky hinterland of the Malabar Coast of southwest Karnataka, about 8 km from the Arabian Sea. The town gets its name from the Lake “Mannupalla” which has been anglicized to Manipal (“mannu” means mud and “palla” means stream in Tulu). On a plateau, a few kilometers from the temple town of Udupi, it commands a stunning view of the Arabian Sea to the west and the Western Ghats to the east.
It is a center of academic learning, healthcare, industry and finance. The township includes two universities, 24 professional colleges, affiliated institutes and numerous primary and high schools. It boasts of more than 90,000 students from over 30 countries thus being one of the most preferred choices of students, faculty and industry alike. Manipal University campus covers 500 acres (2.0 km2) of land with 15,000 inhabitants and is built on laterite rock.
Rankings (Manipal & Mangalore)
In the prominent ranking surveys and reports, both the colleges are clubbed together and provided a common ranking under the name of Kasturba Medical College, Manipal. KMC Manipal(& Mangalore) has been ranked among the top 3 medical colleges in India both by The Hindu and India Today, preceded only by AIIMS, New Delhi and Christian Medical College & Hospital, Vellore. KMC Manipal was also ranked among the top 5 medical colleges by both the Hindustan Times and the India Today-Nielsen Survey (2014). The Health Sciences Library and the Anatomy and Pathology museums of KMC, Manipal are the largest of their kind in Asia.
The Medical Council of India granted recognition in 1958 with the first graduating batch of KMC. Recognition by the General Medical Council of Great Britain and the Malaysian Medical Council soon followed. It is recognized by a Government of India order. The physical facilities for research work and student amenities have been steadily developed over the years. Today the 200-acre (0.81 km2) campus provides one of the finest environments for study in south Asia.
Kasturba Medical College and Hospital [KMC], Manipal, and Manipal Hospital Bangalore [MHB] also received full(AAHRPP) Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs accreditation in Dec 2011—a first in India.
Admission to Undergraduate courses
Admission in the Undergraduate courses at Manipal University happens through the highly competitive, Manipal University Online Entrance Test (MUOET, a computer-based test) generally conducted in the month of May. Thousands and lakhs of students vie for the 160 available seats.Based on the marks obtained in the test, the university declares a merit list of all the candidates who have appeared for the entrance test.The eligible students are then called for couselling and admission to the college's flagship MBBS program are done through this merit list. The same merit list is used for admission to both MBBS and BDS courses of the Kasturba Medical College Manipal and Mangalore.
MARENA (Manipal Indoor Sports Arena)
Marena, a 6-storey sports complex with state-of-the-art facilities, at Manipal University was inaugurated by Union human resource development minister M. M. Pallam Raju in May 2013. The indoor sports arena include a gymnasium, a synthetic jogging track, sauna and steam baths, four squash courts, a basketball court, five badminton courts, a playing area for futsal (five sided soccer), a cricket bowling machine and five enclosure for recreation games. The entire complex is air conditioned. The entrance to the complex is at ground level '0' and floor plans goes like plus one level, minus one level, minus two level, minus three level, minus four level, minus five level and minus six level which is the parking area. This sports complex can is used for recreation, fitness and even by sports enthusiasts. The university combo card is necessary to enter the complex.
In addition to this the campus also has one Athletics ground(400 meters), one Cricket ground, one Football ground, two Basket Ball courts, one Foot Ball court, four Lawn Tennis courts,two Throw Ball courts,three Volley Ball courts, TT and carom facilities in most of the hostels and a Gym (Multi Gym, 16 stations, one instructor).
MAP (Museum of Anatomy and Pathology)
Acclaimed to be one of the best in Asia, the Manipal anatomy and pathology museum is a product of the painstaking research, commitment and perseverance of Dr. S S Godbole, a noted anatomist and artist who produced the finest specimens in anatomy. Started in the early 60s by Dr. Godbole, the huge collection, of about 3000 original specimens, is an asset which Manipal University can boast of as, perhaps, being the only one of its kind in Asia. The museum also displays cross sectional specimens, radiographs, skeletons of human and other vertebrates, radiographs and developmental anatomy models. The museum collection is laid out in sections: Head and Neck, Thorax, Visceral anatomy, Limbs, Sectional anatomy, Nervous system, Developmental anatomy and Comparative anatomy.Though the specimens and models are continuously added to the collection, some specimens date back close to half a century and still show no signs of degradation. Currently, efforts are being made to promote the museum as a lively source of interaction for health science students and also the public. The museum is open from 8 AM to 6 PM and not only caters to the students and staff of the Manipal University, but also to schools, colleges and the general public. While the entrance for Manipal university staff, students and guests is free, a nominal fee is collected from the public. The renowned anatomist, Dr. R.J.Last ,on a visit to the museum simply wrote, "It's one of the best".
The renovated anatomy and pathology museum of Manipal University was inaugurated by Dr Rajendra K. Pachauri, Director General, The Energy and Resources Institute, New Delhi on November 10, 2012 at 12 noon. The museum gets a name and will be known by the acronym MAP – Museum of Anatomy and Pathology. For students, it is a wonderful learning aid and for the visitors, MAP is a storehouse of knowledge. The specimens have been there for close to 40 years. The renovated museum with its new magnificent ambience will be an added attraction for the hundreds and thousands of visitors. The museum is divided into two main sections: Anatomy and Pathology. The anatomy section displays specimens of normal human body parts and organs in manner which makes it easy to understand. Each organ system of the human body can be explored as a separate entity. Every bit of the body is displayed from head to toe from different sections. There is a section on comparative anatomy, where large collection of animals, their skeleton and bones are displayed. The museum of Pathology displays diseased body parts and organs. The section on life-style related diseases displays specimens of diseases that occur in humans. In addition to the specimens, there are graphics and lot of other information for even a layman to read and understand.
The University is home to the largest library in Asia for an educational institution. The Health Sciences Library of Manipal University is a modern facility extending over 150,000 square feet on six floors, and can accommodate 1300 users at a time. Besides the Central Health Sciences library there are libraries for every constituent college for their respective disciplines.
Manipal University has a chain of six libraries that support its schools.
- The Health Sciences Library has 150,000 square feet on five floors for the use of students, faculty and researchers of health sciences. It can accommodate up to 1,300 users at a time.
- The Kasturba Medical College Central Library, Mangalore was established in 1953. The library is 2,025 sq. meters on three floors and can accommodate over 400 users.
- The central library of Manipal Institute of Technology is a three-storey building occupying an area of about 70,000 square feet (6,500 m2). It can accommodate 800 users at a time.
- WelcomGroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration library was established in 1986. The library is equipped with 5,634 books on hotel management and allied subjects. It subscribes to nearly 40 journals on general and trade subjects from all over the world.
- The Manipal Institute of Communication library, has over 9,000 books and other resources, is spread over an area of 3,000 square feet (280 m2), and can accommodate around 100 students. The library is equipped with books, Internet browsing, online database, online journals, CDs/DVDs, etc. There is a separate audio-visual room to view electronic documents.
- The Manipal Institute of Management (MIM) Library and Information Centre has a vast collection of management books and the latest national and international journals. MIM is the only institute in south India having access to the UN Depository Collection.
The Medical Simulation Centre of Manipal University is a new concept in the field of medical education. The Medical Simulation Centre provides the opportunity to students in health care fields to learn professional skills on training manikins. The centre has the entire spectrum of trainers starting from simple task trainers to the most complex, interactive, computer-based training units such as the SimMan™ and SimBaby™. A total of more than a hundred training manikins are used to impart training to undergraduate and postgraduate students of all disciplines in health science including medical, dental, nursing and allied health fields.
visit www.kmcsc.org, the official KMC Manipal Student Council Website for more details. like them on facebook at: www.facebook.com/pages/KMC-Student-Council/1438019506414965
There are Wi-Fi hotspots spread across the campus. Laptops packaged with all campus services are provided to UG students of Medical, Dental, Engineering and Architecture for their computing, communication and presentation requirements.
Hostels & Food Courts
Manipal University hostels were declared best in India in the education sector at the India Today Aspire Education Summit 2012 held in New Delhi. The Food Courts at Manipal with a combined seating capacity of over 3,000 cater to the needs of the students of different cultures. The Food Courts also house popular brands like Pizza Corner, Subway, Noodle King, Barrista, Bread Basket, Asian K Flavor, Hangyo, etc
The Annual Inter College Cultural Festival is the flagship cultural event held in the University. Students from all the constituent colleges of the University and also students from our campuses at Bangalore, Sikkim, Nepal, Malaysia and Dubai are invited to participate in this gala event. This is a week- long programme wherein students showcase their talents by participating in various competitions like Creative Writing, Classical Instrumental, Vocal and Dance, Pot Pourri, Cultural Parade, Light Music, Cartooning, Quiz, Painting, Collage, Debate, Extempore, Mime, Street Play, Rangoli, Mimicry, Western Dance / Music, Clay Modeling, Installation, Anthakshari, Fashion Show, Poetry, JAM, MAD ADS and Creative Dance.
Organized by MIT students it is a national level festival, with a duration of three to four days. Students from colleges across the country participate in various competitions. It garners vast participation with representatives from over 100 colleges in India along with participation from Manipal University colleges such as Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Kasturba Medical College and a large number of events such as sports matches, concerts, battle of the bands, dance and fashion shows, etc. It is wholly organised and run by the students of the college itself with a base budget provided by the college and the rest raised through sponsorship and the work of a dedicated Sponsorship team set up solely for the fest and consisting of students.
Manipal University Literary Club
This Club is a wing of Centre for Humanities and was officially inaugurated on 5 February 2008 by Dr. M.S. Valiathan, at counseling hall, Manipal.edu building. This club is a brain child of Prof. M.V. Kamath, Hon. Director of MIC and former chairman of Prasar Bharati.
Activities of the Literary Club include, book or poem reading sessions by the authors and/or readers, discussions about various literature related activities, workshops / seminars on literature writing etc. Students and teaching staff from various colleges under Manipal University represent their college and are enrolled as club members. Members contribute with their creative work in literature, and discuss events for the future, during meetings held by the club. Any literature loving person at Manipal University can become a member of this club.
M.A.F.I.A. - The Music & Fine Arts Club
This Music and Drama Club was founded by MIT students.
KMC Manipal is involved in research on different fields of medical sciences. There are lot of research projects, publications, conferences, seminars and other activities which are carried in each department of the institute. The faculty as well as students are involved into such research activities.
- 3604 Journals & Research Publications
- 543 Books Published
- 643 Ongoing Research Projects
- 489 Workshops/Seminars
- 224 Clinical Trials
- Rs. 93 lakhs plus worth of Research Grants
(As of 2012; source:MU pospectus)
- Community Medicine
- Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy
- Forensic Medicine
- General Medicine
- Hospital Administration
- General Surgery
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
The course is three years (the duration of MD and MS courses is two years for those with a two-year recognized diploma in the same specialty).
Post graduate medical diploma
- Clinical Pathology
- Child Health
- Venereology and Leprosy
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
The duration of all PG diploma courses is two years.
Other courses include MSc Clinical Embryology, MSc Medical, and MSc Yoga Therapy.
- DM, Cardiology, Neurology, Nephrology three years
- MCh, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Neuro Surgery, Paediatric Surgery, Urology
- MPhil Psychiatric Social Work
- MPhil Nursing.
- Dr TMA Pai Hospital
- Udupi Government Hospital
- TMA Pai Rotary Club Hospital
- Manipal Goa Cancer and General Hospital
- Manipal Education
- "KMC Manipal among top 3 medical colleges". The Hindu Business Line. 2004-05-13. Retrieved 2012-09-30.
- "Top 10 Medical Colleges". India Today.
- "Top 30 Medical Colleges in India". Hindustan Times.
- "Best Medical Colleges 2014". India Today-The Nielsen Company.
- Manipal University: Top Medical, Engineering, Management, Pharmacy Courses
- "MCI recognition". MCI.
- "Accreditation of human research protection program: An Indian perspective". National Institutes of Health, US.
- "KMC and Hospital earn full AAHRPP Accreditation (Association for the Accreditation of Human Research protection Program, Inc)".
- "MUOET (Manipal University Online Entrance Test)". Manipal University.
- "Manipal Medical(MAHE)Entrance Exam". Aakash Institute.
- "'Marena' sports complex". Times Of India.
- "Manipal Sports Facilities". Manipal University.
- "Manipal Sports Facilities 2". Manipal University.
- "Museum of Anatomy and Pathology". Manipal University.
- "Manipal: Renovated Anatomy Museum attracts large number of visitors". Megamedia News.
- "Renovated museum of anatomy inaugurated in Manipal". The Hindu.
- "Nobel laureate Dr Pachauri inaugurates renovated Museum of Anatomy and Pathology". Manipal University.
- "Pachauri to open renovated anatomy museum today". Deccan Herald.
- "Library". Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "Health Sciences Library". Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "KMC Library". Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "MIT Library". Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "WGSHA Library". Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "MIC Library". Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "MIM Library". Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "Simulation Centre". Manipal University.
- "SimMan® Essential". Laerdal.
- "SimBaby™". Laerdal.
- "Simulation Centre". Manipal University.
- "India Today Aspire Education Summit 2012". India Today.
- "Student Club & fests". Manipal University.
- "Major DST research grant for KMC, Manipal". India Today.
- KMC Official Website
- Kasturba Medical College
- About Manipal
- Manipal Blog
- Medical Entrance Exams in India
- Karnataka Medical Entrance Exam
- The Manipal Journal