Katabon Mosque (Bengali: কাটাবন মসজিদ) in Shahbag, Dhaka is a center for Muslim missionaries in Bangladesh. It houses the Bangladesh Masjid Mission (Bangladesh Mosque Mission) and is officially named as the "Bangladesh Masjid Mission Complex Central Mosque". It is founded where the stables of the Dhaka Nawab Family was.
The mosque houses the Islamic Economics Research Bureau, which works to "synergize the intellectual capabilities of the modern day professionals, academicians, and students of Islamic Banking and Finance". Other Islamic organizations like Islam Prochar Samity (Association for Preaching Islam), Hizb ut-Tahrir Bangladesh and Liberated Youth, are around the corner. Many of these Islamic organizations are at the front line of preaching of orthodox Islam in Bangladesh.
There has been claims to associate the Masjid Mission with Jamaat-e-Islami Bangladesh. Muslim protesters gather around the mosque, while students of neighboring University of Dhaka has protested against the activities conducted at the mosque.
- Bangladesh Yellow Pages
- Bangladesh Trade Zone
- Bangladesh Trade Info
- Mohammad Alamgir, Shahbag, Banglapedia
- Mohammen Nasir Jawed, Year Book of the Muslim World, page 167, South Asia Books, 2006, ISBN 81-86420-00-2
- Sayeed Mahmud Nizam, Shop Talk The Daily Star
- Circle Information
- Islamic Finder
- U.A.B. Razia Akter, Islam in Bangladesh, BRILL, 1992, ISBN 90-04-09497-0
- Rajat Kumar Kujur, Bangladesh: The Locus of Islamic Terrorism, Society for the Study of Peace and Conflict
- 2,000 Muslims in Bangladesh capital protest Israel's attacks on Lebanon, police say, Associated Press, 2006-06-21
- Jim Salter, DU Campus, United News Bureau, Bangladesh, 2004-03-10