|Elevation||1,100 m (3,600 ft)|
|Population (2011 Estimate)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Katakwi is a town in Eastern Uganda. It is the main municipal, administrative and commercial center of Katakwi District and the district headquarters are located there. The district is named after the town.
Katakwi located approximately 56 kilometres (35 mi), by road, northeast of Soroti, the largest town in the sub-region. This location lies approximately 120 kilometres (75 mi), by road, northwest of Mbale, the largest city in Eastern Uganda. Katakwi is located approximately 293 kilometres (182 mi), by road, northeast of Kampala, the capital of Uganda, and the largest city in that country. The coordinates of the town are:1°54'54.0"N, 33°57'18.0"E (Latitude:1.9150; Longitude:33.9550).
The 2002 national census estimated the town's population at about 5,900. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of the town at about 8,100. In 2011, UBOS estimated the population of Katakwi at approximately 8,400 people.
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within the town limits or close to the edges of town:
- The headquarters of Katakwi District Administration
- The offices of Katakwi Town Council
- Katakwi Central Market
- Katakwi General Hospital - A public hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- Ochorimongin Weekly Market
- "Road Distance Between Soroti And Katakwi With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "Map Showing Mbale And Katakwi With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "Distance Between Kampala And Katakwi With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Katakwi At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- UBOS, . "Estimated Population of Katakwi In 2002, 2010 And 2011". Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 1 June 2014.