|Elevation||3,900 ft (1,200 m)|
Katalemwa is situated on the Kampala-Gayaza Road, approximately 11.5 kilometres (7.1 mi), north of Kampala, the capital of Uganda and its largest city. Katalemwa lies to the immediate north of Mpererwe, with Kasangati to the north, Wampeewo to the northeast, Kisaasi to the southeast and Kawanda to the west. The coordinates of the township are:0° 24' 27.0"N, 32° 35' 6.0"N (Latitude:0.4075; Longitude:32.5850).
Katalemwa was a residential neighborhood in the 1960s and 1970s. Makerere University maintains a residential estate for some of the university senior staff members. Following the return to peace to this part of Uganda in the 1990s, the neighborhood has seen the influx of small scale industry, schools and hospitals, as well as grocery stores, gas stations and other small-scale industries, to cater to the demandss of the expanding population base. One of the facilities in the neighborhood is Katalemwa Cheshire Home, a facility that caters to the needs of children with orthopedic, spinal and mental developmental abnormalities and injuries. Katalemwa Cheshire Home of Rehabilitation Services also known as KCH is a registered non- governmental development organization in Uganda established in 1970.KCH is involved in the rehabilitation and fulfillment of rights of children with Disabilities (CWDs) and works with over 75 partner organizations both ( Internationally and local) in Uganda as well as the neighboring countries.KCH has been at the fore front of rehabilitation of disabled persons and promoting childhood disability rights in Uganda. KCH program focuses on holistic and comprehensive medical and social rehabilitation of CWDs with consideration of HIV/AIDS, OVC interventions and gender mainstreaming, provision of assistive devices, promotion of children’s rights to quality inclusive education and livelihood programmes to enable CWDs in the country, emphasis is laid on CWDs from vulnerable and needy families and communities.
The exact population of Katalemwa is not known as of October 2014.
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within Katalemwa or close to its borders:
- Katelemwa Housing Estate - The residential development belongs to Makerere University, and contains residences for some of the university's senior staff.
- Clays & Allied Industries Limited - A private factory that manufactures clay products
- "Map Showing Katalemwa And Kampala With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Katalemwa At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- Nakagwa, Flavia (17 December 2007). "Nnabagereka Foundation Hosts Children". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 31 October 2014.