Kate (text editor)
Kate in KDE Plasma Desktop
Kate (short for KDE Advanced Text Editor) is a text editor made by KDE. It has been a part of K Desktop Environment 2 since 2001. Geared towards software developers, it features syntax highlighting, code folding, customizable layouts that can be recalled via presets, regular expression support and extensibility.
Kate has been part of KDE Software Compilation since release 2.2 in 2001. Because of the KParts technology, it is possible to embed Kate as an editing component in other KDE applications. The integrated development environment KDevelop, the web development environment Quanta Plus, and the LaTeX front-end Kile are three of the major KDE applications making use of Kate as an editing component.
Kate is a programmer's text editor with syntax highlighting for over 200 filetypes. The syntax highlighting is extendable via XML files and can also specify code folding rules. It supports UTF-8, UTF-16, ISO-8859-1 and ASCII encoding schemes and can detect a file's character encoding automatically.
Kate features multiple document interface, window splitting, project editing[further explanation needed] and sessions to facilitate editing multiple documents. Using sessions, one can customize Kate for different projects by saving the list of open files, the list of enabled plug-ins and the window configuration.
Kate is built using the KPart technology and the Kate application is just a graphical shell around the editor component, referred to as katepart. This KPart component is embedded by other KDE programs as well. The Kate application uses the Konsole kpart to get an embedded terminal.
- "Distribution Packages". http://kate-editor.org. KDE. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Welcome to The KDE on Windows Initiative". http://windows.kde.org/. KDE. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Distributions Shipping KDE". kde.org. KDE. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- KDE 2.1 to 2.2 Changelog
- "KDE SC 4.14 wird 4er-Reihe abschließen" (in German). 2014-07-10.
- Kate syntax files in the KDE code repository
- Writing a Kate Highlighting XML file
- "KDE's Kate text editor gets vi input mode". 2008-10-27. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- "Using the Project Plugin in Kate". 2012-11-02. Retrieved 2014-09-24.
- "Using Sessions" from the Kate Handbook
- About KatePart