Baldwin in NYC, August 2013
May 2, 1975 |
Evanston, Illinois, U.S.
Baldwin made her Broadway debut in The Full Monty in 2000, followed by appearances in Thoroughly Modern Millie and Wonderful Town. She frequently performs in regional theater and was nominated for the Helen Hayes Award for her portrayal of Nellie Forbush in the 2002 Arena Stage production of South Pacific. Additional credits include The Sound of Music and The Music Man at The Muny in St. Louis, Missouri and Charlotte in A Little Night Music at Centre Stage in Baltimore. Baldwin played the role of Sharon in the 2009 Encores! staged concert production of Finian's Rainbow. New York Times critic Charles Isherwood called her a "discovery" and praised her performance, noting she sang the role "beautifully... her rich, pure soprano riding the crests of the melodies with ease." She reprised the role in the Broadway revival that brought the Encores production to the St. James Theatre in October 2009. Her performance received positive notices again, as well as a Tony Award nomination for Best Actress in Musical.
The premiere of the new musical Paradise Found, featured Baldwin in a production co-directed by Harold Prince and Susan Stroman at the Menier Chocolate Factory in London (May 19 - June 26, 2010). The Telegraph reviewer wrote of her performance: "The best performance comes from Kate Baldwin, who is both affecting and a succulent feast for the eye, as Mizzi."
Baldwin appeared in the musical I Do! I Do! at the Westport Country Playhouse (August 10 - September 4, 2010). She appeared at the Dallas Theater Center, in a co-production with the Public Theater, in a new musical version of Giant, with music by Michael John LaChiusa and the book by Sybille Pearson. Performances started on January 18, 2012 in previews and ran through February 19, with direction by Michael Greif. She appeared in the Arena Stage's (Washington, D.C.) production of The Music Man as Marian. Performances ran from May 11, 2012 to July 22.
Baldwin also appeared as Sandra K. Bloom in the 2013 production of Big Fish at the Neil Simon Theatre (September 5 - December 29, 2013). She will feature in the Big Fish cast album, which was released February 11, 2014.
Awards and nominations
Baldwin received both a 2010 Tony Award nomination for Best Actress in a Musical and a Drama Desk Award nomination for Outstanding Actress in a Musical for her performance in Finian's Rainbow.
- Opening Doors concert, Zankel Hall, October 2004
- Miss Saigon, Paper Mill Playhouse, 2002
- Hello, Dolly!, Paper Mill Playhouse, June 2006
- Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, The Muny, St. Louis, August 2006
- The Pajama Game, The Muny, St. Louis, July 2007
- White Christmas, San Francisco, November 2005-December 2005 and Toronto, November 2007-January 2008
- She Loves Me, Huntington Theatre Company and Williamstown Theatre Festival, Massachusetts, May 2008-June 2008
- My Fair Lady, Sacramento Music Circus, August 2008
- The Broadway Musicals of 1927, "Broadway By the Year" February 22, 2010, The Town Hall, New York
- https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KK8Y-DKL Date of birth, familysearch.org; accessed May 31, 2014.
- Brown, Dennis. "Catch Kate Baldwin in St. Louis while you can", riverfronttimes.com, August 3, 2005
- Jones, Kenneth. "Hi, Bali! Arena Stage's South Pacific Opens Dec. 13 in DC" Playbill.com, December 13, 2002
- Lipton, Brian."Kate Baldwin, James Clow, Georgia Engel, et al. Set for St. Louis Muny's Music Man" TheaterMania.com, July 7, 2009
- Giuliano, Mike."Theater Review: A Little Night Music" Variety, March 20, 2008
- Isherwood, Charles. Reviews The New York Times, March 28, 2009
- Gans, Andrew and Hetrick, Adam. "Baldwin, Norton, Fitzgerald and Cooper to Star in Broadway's Finian's Rainbow Revival" Playbill.com, July 16, 2009
- Itzkoff, Dave. "Christopher Fitzgerald, Chuck Cooper Join 'Finian's Rainbow' on Broadway", The New York Times, July 16, 2009
- Jones, Kenneth. "Solo Discs by Baldwin Callaway and Luker On Sale Oct 20 NYC In Store Appearances Planned", playbill.com, October 20, 2009
- Jones, Kenneth. "Prince and Stroman Unveil New Musical Paradise Found in London May 19" Playbill.com, May 19, 2010
- Spencer, Charles." 'Paradise Found' at the Menier Chocolate Factory, review" The Telegraph, 27 May 2010
- Hetrick, Adam. "Baldwin and Cleale Will Vow I Do! I Do! A Bit Longer at Westport". Playbill.com, August 17, 2010
- Hetrick, Adam (January 18, 2012). "New York-Aimed Giant, with Kate Baldwin, Aaron Lazar and P.J. Griffith, Sweeps Into Texas Jan. 18". Playbill. Retrieved January 19, 2012.
- Jones, Kenneth. "Nehal Joshi, Barbara Tirrell and More Join Burke Moses and Kate Baldwin in DC 'Music Man' " Playbill.com, April 16, 2012
- Hetrick, Adam. . Playbill.com, December 29, 2013
- Champion, Lindsay.  Broadway.com, December 5, 2013
- Broadway.com Staff (April 20, 2011). "Broadway Couple Kate Baldwin and Graham Rowat Welcome Baby Boy". Broadway.com. Retrieved January 19, 2011.
- Healy, Patrick. "No Obvious Front-Runner in Tony Race". The New York Times. May 4, 2010
- Gans, Andrew."Red, Memphis, Bridge, Fences and La Cage Win Drama Desk Awards" playbill.com, May 23, 2010
- Isherwood, Christopher."Review:Opening Doors"The New York Times, October 7, 2004
- Isherwood, Charles."Tovah Feldshuh at the Paper Mill: Top o' the Mornin', Dolly!"The New York Times, June 13, 2006
- Gans, Andrew."Muny's Seven Brides — with Kate Baldwin and James Clow — Begins Run Aug. 7" playbill.com, August 7, 2006
- Gans, Andrew."Chase and Baldwin Play The Pajama Game at the Muny Beginning July 23" playbill.com, July 23, 2007
- Jones, Kenneth.Before They Woo in San Francisco's White Christmas, Acting Couple Will Wed" playbill.com, September 23, 2005
- Staff."Old chestnut White Christmas heats up Toronto's Sony stage" cbc.ca, November 21, 2007
- Gans, Andrew and Jones, Kenneth."She Loves Me, with Ashmanskas and Baldwin, Begins Huntington Run" May 16, 2008
- Blank, Matthew."Kate Baldwin Is a Fair Lady at Sacramento Music Circus" playbill.com, August 8, 2008
- Gans, Andrew."Kudisch, Baldwin, Noll, Kimball, Racey Explore the Broadway Musicals of 1927 Feb. 22", playbill.com, February 22, 2010