Kate Capshaw, June 1984
|Born||Kathleen Sue Nail
November 3, 1953
Fort Worth, Texas, USA
|Alma mater||University of Missouri (B.A., Education)|
|Spouse(s)||Robert Capshaw (m. 1976–80) divorced, 1 child
Steven Spielberg (m. 1991) 5 children
Kate Capshaw (born November 3, 1953) is an American actress, best known for her portrayal of Willie Scott in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. During production of the film, she met director Steven Spielberg, whom she later married.
Capshaw was born Kathleen Sue Nail in Fort Worth, Texas, the daughter of Beverley Sue (née Simon), a travel agent and beautician, and Edwin Leon Nail, an airline employee. She moved to St. Louis, Missouri, at the age of five, and graduated from Hazelwood Senior High, now called Hazelwood Central High School in 1972. Capshaw earned a degree in education from the University of Missouri, where she was a member of Alpha Delta Pi. She taught Special Education at Southern Boone County High School in Ashland, Missouri, and Rock Bridge High School in Columbia, Missouri. She married marketing manager Robert Capshaw in January 1976 and they had one child, actress Jessica Capshaw, before eventually divorcing in 1980. However, she kept the surname Capshaw and adopted it as her professional name upon becoming an actress.
|This section requires expansion. (May 2008)|
Capshaw moved to New York to pursue her dream of acting, landing her first role on the soap opera The Edge of Night. She starred in Dreamscape in 1984. She met film director Steven Spielberg upon winning the female lead for the Raiders of the Lost Ark prequel, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984). In addition, she appeared as Andie Bergstrom, a camp instructor in the 1986 film SpaceCamp and starred as Susanna McKaskel in The Quick and The Dead (1987) with Sam Elliott.
Capshaw also starred in the spy film/romance, Code Name Dancer. Capshaw was featured in films throughout the late 1980s into the 1990s, including Black Rain, Just Cause, Private Affairs, and The Love Letter, and was also featured in the 1997 film The Alarmist with David Arquette and Stanley Tucci. In 2001 she starred in the Showtime Cable Network miniseries A Girl Thing with Elle Macpherson.
Capshaw, originally an Episcopalian, converted to Judaism before marrying director Steven Spielberg, on October 12, 1991. The two were married in both a civil ceremony and an Orthodox ceremony.
There are seven children in the Spielberg-Capshaw family.
- Jessica Capshaw (born August 9, 1976) – daughter from Kate Capshaw's previous marriage to Robert Capshaw
- Max Samuel Spielberg (born June 13, 1985) – son from Spielberg's previous marriage to actress Amy Irving
- Theo Spielberg (born 1988) – son adopted by Capshaw before her marriage to Spielberg, who later also adopted him
- Sasha Rebecca Spielberg (born May 14, 1990, Los Angeles)
- Sawyer Avery Spielberg (born March 10, 1992, Los Angeles)
- Mikaela George (born February 28, 1996) – adopted with Steven Spielberg
- Destry Allyn Spielberg (born December 1, 1996)
||Lists of miscellaneous information should be avoided. (October 2014)|
A character in Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, Captain Kate Capsize, is named after her. The Monkey Island series of games are well-known for their pop culture and movie references.
- Kate Capshaw Biography (1953–)
- "Edwin Nail, Kate Capshaw's dad, dies at 65 Actress, her husband, Steven Spielberg, attend funeral", Fort Worth Star-Telegram, December 30, 1998
- Code Name Dancer (1987) at Rotten Tomatoes
- "The DVD of A Girl Thing" reviewed at Amazon
- "Elle's Sexy Lesbian Romp." at Cinema.com
- Karen W. Arenson (September 24, 1995). "From 'Schindler's List,' a Jewish Mission". New York Times.
- "Film: Steven Spielberg Faces the Holocaust". The New York Times.
- "Spielberg: the man, the movies, the mythology", by Frank Sanello, Taylor Publishing Co., 1996
- "Spielberg, Steven – Fun Facts, Answers, Factoids, Info, Information". Funtrivia.com. Retrieved March 2, 2010.
- "Biography for Sasha Spielberg". IMDb. Retrieved January 15, 2008.
- "California Birth Index". Familytreelegends.com. May 14, 1990. Retrieved January 31, 2011.
- "California Birth Index". Familytreelegends.com. Retrieved January 31, 2011.
- Greissinger, Lisa Kay (1996-04-15). "Passages". people.com. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- "Steven Spielberg Fast Facts". cnn.com. 2013-04-11. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- (2011-07-16) "Hollywood stars open wallets for Obama". Retrieved 2011-07-16.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kate Capshaw.|