Kate Gale is an American poet, librettist, and independent publisher.
Kate Gale was born in Binghamton, New York to Stephen Gale and Evadene Swanson. She graduated with a B.A. in English from Arizona State University. She received an M.A. in English with a creative writing emphasis from California State University Northridge in 1990 and a Ph.D. in English from Claremont Graduate University in 2003.
Gale, along with her husband Mark E. Cull, founded Red Hen Press in 1994. Gale is the managing editor of Red Hen Press; the editor of the Los Angeles Review , which is also part of Red Hen Press; and the president of the Los Angeles chapter of the American Composers Forum. She was the 2005-2006 president of PEN USA and serves on the board of the A Room of Her Own Foundation , the School of Arts and Humanities of Claremont Graduate University, and Poetry Society of America . She teaches in the Low Residency MFA program at the University of Omaha  and at the MFA in Creative Writing Program at San Diego State University.
Her forthcoming book Echo Light is from Red Mountain Press. 
Gale’s work began with Blue Air, a book of poetry published by Garden Street Press, San Luis Obispo. She published three collections of poetry with Red Hen Press: Where Crows and Men Collide, Selling the Hammock, and Fishers of Men. Mating Season was published by Tupelo Press in 2004. She has also written the librettos to two operas. Rio de Sangre, with composer Don Davis, was showcased at Walt Disney Concert Hall in 2005, by the New York City Opera VOX in May 2007 and had its world premiere on October 22, 2010 with the Florentine Opera Company in Milwaukee. Paradises Lost, co-written with Ursula K. Le Guin with composer Stephen Taylor, was showcased at the New York City Opera VOX in 2006. Her most recent poetry collection, Goldilocks Zone, will be published by the University of New Mexico Press in February 2014.
- Allen Ginsberg Poetry Award
- Claremont Graduate University Fellowship
- Mitchell Lathrop Fellowship
Kate speaks widely on independent publishing and how writers can become published authors.
- Echo Light (Red Mountain Press, 2014)
- Goldilocks Zone (University of New Mexico Press, 2014)
- The Crucifix is Down (Red Hen Press, 2005) (ed.)
- Mating Season (Tupelo Press, 2004)
- Fake-City Syndrome (Red Hen Press, 2002) (ed.)
- Lake of Fire (Winter Street Press, 2000)
- Blue Cathedral (Red Hen Press, 2000) (ed.)
- Fishers of Men (Red Hen Press, 2000)
- African Sleeping Beauty (Blue Beginnings Publishing, 2000)
- Selling the Hammock (Red Hen Press, 1998)
- Anyone is Possible (Red Hen Press, 1997) (ed.)
- Where Crows and Men Collide (Red Hen Press, 1995)
- Water Moccasins (Title Wave Press, 1994)
- Blue Air (Garden Street Press, 1993)
- Rio de Sangre with composer Don Davis
- Paradises Lost with Ursula K. Le Guin and composer Stephen Andrew Taylor
- Kindred adapted from the novel by Octavia Butler with composer Billy Childs
- Inner Circle adapted from the novel by T. C. Boyle with composer Daniel Felsenfeld
- Che Guevara with composer Andrew Bayola
- Ravi's Dream with composer Michael Roth
- Gargoyles with composer Julia Adolphe
- Kate Gale's official site
- Red Hen's Website
- Rio de Sangre site
- American Composer's Forum site
- A Room of Her Own site
- University of Nebraska News site