|Born||Kate McKinnon Berthold
January 6, 1984
Sea Cliff, New York, U.S.
|Alma mater||Columbia University|
Kate McKinnon Berthold (born January 6, 1984), commonly known as Kate McKinnon, is an American actress and comedian, best known for her sketch comedy work as a cast member on Saturday Night Live and The Big Gay Sketch Show.
McKinnon was born and raised in Sea Cliff, New York, on Long Island. She is the daughter of Laura Campbell, a parent educator, and Michael Thomas Berthold, an architect. As a child, McKinnon played the piano, cello, and guitar. She graduated from North Shore High School in 2002 and attended Columbia University.
In 2007, she joined the original cast of the Logo Network's Big Gay Sketch Show, where she was a cast member on the series for all three seasons. Among her best-known characters was Fitzwilliam, a British boy whose only wish is to have a vagina.
McKinnon is known for her strong character work and celebrity impressions. Since 2008, she has performed live sketch comedy regularly at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre in New York City. She has also worked as a voiceover actress, and has voiced characters for series such as The Venture Brothers, Robotomy, and Ugly Americans. In 2009 McKinnon won a Logo NewNowNext Award for Best Rising Comic. She was nominated for an ECNY Emerging Comic Award in 2010.
Saturday Night Live
McKinnon debuted as a featured player on Saturday Night Live on April 7, 2012. She is SNL's third known gay cast member (after Terry Sweeney and Danitra Vance), the second lesbian cast member after Danitra Vance, and the first lesbian cast member to be white and openly gay (in contrast, Danitra Vance was African-American and her sexual preference was unknown until her death from breast cancer in 1994).
- Sheila Sovage, a drunk, crass woman who always gets a date at last call
- Olya Povlatsky, a depressed, luckless Russian villager who dreams of leaving the country
- Angela Merkel
- Jane Lynch
- Edie Falco
- Ann Romney
- Billie Jean King
- Barbara Walters
- Ellen DeGeneres
- Penelope Cruz
- Tabatha Coffey
- Theresa Caputo, from Long Island Medium
- Barbara Corcoran
- Martha Stewart
- Jodie Foster
- Tilda Swinton
- Justin Bieber
- Angela Lansbury
- Jemima Kirke as Jessa Johansson from Girls
- The Big Gay Sketch Show, 2007–2010
- Robotomy, Mrs. Crunshine, "No Child Left Benign," 2010
- Saturday Night Live, 2012–present
- Toy Story of Terror, 2013 (voice of PEZ Cat)
- Shuster, Yelena (March 2007). "One Funny Voice at a Time". Columbia College Today. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- Gay, Verne (29 March 2012). "Kate McKinnon joining 'SNL' cast". Newsday. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- "Columbia College Today". College.columbia.edu. 2008-06-18. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "Cast Bios: Kate McKinnon". NBC.com. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- "Kate McKinnon Bio Repertory Player Saturday Night Live NBC". Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Columbia College Today". College.columbia.edu. 2008-06-18. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "Obituaries". Antonnews.com. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- By Marcelle S. Fischler (2000-05-14). "LONG ISLAND JOURNAL; Impossibly Appealing Views of Main Street - New York Times". Long Island (Ny): Nytimes.com. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "Kate McKinnon returning to North Shore High School for fundraiser". Newsday. 2013-05-29. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- McGlynn, Katla (29 March 2012). "Kate McKinnon Joining 'SNL' As Featured Player". Huffington Post. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- Vary, Adam B. (30 March 2012). "Kate McKinnon to join 'Saturday Night Live'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- "Kate McKinnon: Who is SNL's first open lesbian cast member?". The Week. 30 March 2012. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- "Kate Mckinnon". Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- Warn, Sarah (21 May 2009). "2009 NewNowNext Awards". AfterEllen. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- Bierly, Mandi (2013-09-13). "EWwy Awards 2013: Meet Your 10 Winners! | Photo 1 of 10". EW.com. Retrieved 2014-02-18.