|Born||Kate McKinnon Berthold
January 6, 1984
Sea Cliff, New York
|Alma mater||Columbia University|
Kate McKinnon Berthold, (born January 6, 1984) commonly known as Kate McKinnon, is an American actress and comedian, best known for her sketch comedy work as a cast member on Saturday Night Live and The Big Gay Sketch Show.
Life and career 
McKinnon was born and raised on Long Island. As a child, McKinnon played the piano, cello, and guitar. She attended Columbia University. In 2007, she joined the original cast of the Logo Network's Big Gay Sketch Show, where she was a cast member on the series for all three seasons. Among her best-known characters was Fitzwilliam, a British boy whose only wish is to have a vagina.
McKinnon is known for her strong character work and celebrity impressions. Since 2008, she has performed live sketch comedy regularly at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre in New York City. She has also worked as a voiceover actress, and has voiced characters for series such as The Venture Brothers, Robotomy, and Ugly Americans. In 2009 McKinnon won a Logo NewNowNext Award for Best Rising Comic. She was nominated for an ECNY Emerging Comic Award in 2010.
McKinnon debuted as a featured player on Saturday Night Live on April 7, 2012. She is SNL's first openly lesbian cast member,[note 1] as well as the third gay cast member in the show's history. Among her most popular impressions is that of talk show host Ellen DeGeneres, which she has also performed on Ellen's own program.
Celebrity impressions on SNL 
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- Theresa Caputo
- Marina Chapman
- Tabatha Coffey
- Lauren Cohan (as Maggie Greene from The Walking Dead)
- Barbara Corcoran
- Penélope Cruz
- S. E. Cupp
- Ellen DeGeneres
- Edie Falco
- Jodie Foster
- Cecilia Giménez
- Scarlett Johansson (as Black Widow from The Avengers)
- Martha Raddatz
- Martha Stewart
- Ann Romney
Recurring characters on SNL 
- Sheila Sovage
- Shuster, Yelena (March 2007). "One Funny Voice at a Time". Columbia College Today. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- Gay, Verne (29 March 2012). "Kate McKinnon joining 'SNL' cast". Newsday. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- "Cast Bios: Kate McKinnon". NBC.com. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- McGlynn, Katla (29 March 2012). "Kate McKinnon Joining 'SNL' As Featured Player". Huffington Post. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- Vary, Adam B. (30 March 2012). "Kate McKinnon to join 'Saturday Night Live'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- "Kate McKinnon: Who is SNL's first open lesbian cast member?". The Week. 30 March 2012. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- "Kate Mckinnon". Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- Warn, Sarah (21 May 2009). "2009 NewNowNext Awards". AfterEllen. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- Gilchrist, Tracy E. (8 April 2012). "SNL's First Out Lesbian Featured Player Kate McKinnon Makes Splash with Penelope Cruz Pantene Sketch". SheWired. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- Wallace, Lary (8 April 2012). "Kate McKinnon Debuts as ‘SNL"s Newest Cast Member". The Faster Times. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- Eby, Margaret (24 April 2013). "'Saturday Night Live' actress Kate McKinnon spoofs Ellen DeGeneres on 'The Ellen DeGeneres Show'". New York Daily News. Retrieved 25 April 2013.