||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009)|
January 31, 1977 |
|Alma mater||Northwestern University
New York University
|Occupation||Actress and musician|
|Title||Miss Illinois 1997
Miss America 1998
|Predecessor||Tara Dawn Holland|
Katherine Renee "Kate" Shindle (born January 31, 1977 in Toledo, Ohio) is an American actress, singer, dancer, and AIDS activist. She came to fame as Miss America 1998, where she represented the state of Illinois as Miss Illinois 1997. She was attending Northwestern University at the time, though she was raised in Moorestown Township in southern New Jersey and graduated from the Bishop Eustace Preparatory School. She graduated from Northwestern University in 1999 with a bachelor's degree in theatre.
Miss America career
Shindle focused on official lecture appearances for HIV/AIDS awareness and education and has raised tens of millions of dollars for others. Shindle participated in and chaired a session at a conference at the World Health Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.
In 1999, Shindle's first CD, Christmases to Come was released on SSP Records. The CD featured the Chicago jazz ensemble Skip Sams' Society Sound, and was used to promote AIDS awareness and raised money for the National AIDS Fund. In 2003, she followed up with her first proper solo CD, Till Today, which was produced by Skip Sams and released on Sams' own label.
Recently, Shindle appeared as the guest cameo in the New York Musical Theatre production of R.R.R.E.D: A Secret Musical at the 45th Street Theatre. Other to have stepped into the role include Tovah Feldshuh and Will Swenson.
Shindle starred as Nancy in the Pittsburgh CLO summer production of Oliver!. She starred alongside Patrick Page and Mark Indelicato.
- Wonderland -Performer: The Mad Hatter
- Legally Blonde - Performer: Vivienne Kensington
- Cabaret - Performer: Sally Bowles
- Jekyll & Hyde - Performer: A Young Girl, Bet, Bridesmaid, Housemaid, Nurse; Understudy: Lucy
- Oliver! - Performer:Nancy
- Weiner, Jennifer (1997-09-14). "A S. JERSEY GIRL TAKES THE CROWN AS MISS AMERICA \ BUT SHE'S MISS ILLINOIS.". Philadelphia Inquirer. p. A01. "Moorestown native and Bishop Eustace graduate Katherine Shindle was named Miss America 1998 last night, topping an all-vocalist field of five finalists in the 77th annual competition."
- Tituss Burgess, Jose Llana, Karen Mason, Janet Dacal Will Star in Broadway's Wonderland Musical
- Katherine Shindle at the Internet Movie Database
- Katherine Shindle at the Internet Broadway Database
- Miss America page
- Katherine Shindle on the Northwestern Notable Alumni page
- Pagent Bureau News interview
- Accomplishments as Miss America
- Planet Out article
|Awards and achievements|
Tara Dawn Holland