Upton at the New York Jets VIP draft party in 2011
June 10, 1992 
St. Joseph, Michigan, U.S.
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
Katherine "Kate" Upton (born June 10, 1992) is an American model and actress, known for her appearances in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue first in 2011, when she was named Rookie of the Year, and again in 2012 and 2013, when she was featured as the cover model.
Early life 
Upton was born in St. Joseph, Michigan and raised in Melbourne, Florida. She is the daughter of Shelley, a former Texas state tennis champion, and Jeff Upton, a high school athletics director. She attended Holy Trinity Episcopal Academy. Her uncle is U.S. Representative Fred Upton (R-MI). Upton's great-grandfather, Frederick Upton, was co-founder of appliance manufacturer and marketer Whirlpool Corporation.
As a young equestrian, Upton showed at the American Paint Horse Association and competed at a national level. With her horse Roanie Pony, she won three APHA Reserve World Championships — 13 and Under Western Riding, 13 and Under Horsemanship, and 14–18 Western Riding. She was named the 13 and Under Reserve All-Around Champion, giving her a total of four reserve championships (2nd place). In addition, Upton ended up third overall on the APHA youth Top Twenty. With a second horse, Zipped, she won 14–18 Western Riding and was included in the top 5 in 14–18 Horsemanship and 14–18 Western Pleasure in 2009.
|Upton's Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover from February 19, 2012|
|Upton's Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover from February 15, 2013|
|Kate Upton's video of the Cat Daddy posted on May 1, 2012|
Upton first modeled for Damien Haumpy Garage, then Dooney & Bourke. She was the 2010–2011 face of Guess. In 2011, Upton appeared in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. She was featured in the body paint section and named Rookie of the Year for the issue. She has since modeled for Beach Bunny Swimwear, and has appeared in Complex and Esquire as "The Woman of the Summer".
In April 2011, an internet video of her doing the dougie hip-hop dance at a Los Angeles Clippers game went viral and served to increase her popularity. On April 30, 2012, a bikini-clad Upton performing the "Cat Daddy" by The Rej3ctz in a video directed by Terry Richardson also went viral, amassing almost 750,000 views in the first 24 hours.
Upton made an appearance in a June 2011 episode of Tosh.0, filmed in Fort Cobb, Oklahoma, participating in a segment called "Knife or Banana", emulating a Japanese game show in which she is stabbed with a banana.
Upton, who was previously considered a swimsuit model, has recently made her way into high-fashion magazines with editorials in American Vogue and Italian Vogue, both photographed by Steven Meisel. Kate has been featured on the covers of Vogue Italia, British Vogue, CR Fashion Book, Cosmopolitan, French ELLE, GQ, Italian GQ, German GQ, Jalouse, Sunday Times Style, Esquire, The Daily, and Muse Magazine. She has appeared in fashion editorials for American Vogue, Vogue Spain, V Magazine, Harper’s Bazaar, and Russian Interview, and has worked with photographers such as Steven Meisel, Terry Richardson, Alasdair McLellan, Bruce Weber, Sebastian Kim, Guy Aroch, Matt Jones, Miguel Reveriego, Norman Jean Roy, Josh Olins, Gilles Bensimon, Yu Tsai, Sebastian Faena, Walter Iooss, Ellen von Unwerth, and Stewart Shining. A favorite of high-fashion notables such as Stephen Gan, Tonne Goodman, Carlyne Cerf, Carine Roitfeld, and Katie Grand, Upton was also shot for the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s “Schiaparelli and Prada: Impossible Conversations” Exhibition Catalogue in 2012. Models.com exclaims, “The sexy market just got a little more competitive thanks to the meteoric rise of Kate Upton. The Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition was a major coup, but the momentum keeps building with cover after cover. We can’t remember the last time a newbie made such a splash!”
In 2012, she was ranked the 5th sexiest model on MODELS.com's Top Sexiest Models
On February 8, 2013, it was announced that Upton would be the cover model for the 2013 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, making her the first model to appear on the cover of consecutive annual Swimsuit issues since Tyra Banks in 1996 and 1997. Parts of her 2013 Sports Illustrated pictorial were filmed in Antarctica, which was the first fashion shoot on that continent. Filmed during the Antarctic summer, temperatures on location are reported to have been around 32 °F with wind chill bringing it to about 0 °F. Because of the cold she could not film for more than a minute at a time before being warmed again. By the end Upton suffered from failing hearing and eyesight, symptoms that are commonly associated with frostbite but can also be signs of hypothermia.
|2011||Tower Heist||Mr. Hightower's Mistress|
|2012||The Three Stooges||Sister Bernice|
|2014||The Other Woman||TBA||Filming|
|2011||Tosh.0||Herself||"Bug in Mouth Reporter" (season 3: episode 14)|
|2012||Saturday Night Live||Herself||"Maya Rudolph/Sleigh Bells" (season 37: episode 15)|
|2012||Sports Illustrated: The Making of Swimsuit 2012||Herself||TV show released February 14, 2012|
|2012||Fox & Friends||Herself||Episode dated April 25, 2012|
|2012||GTTV Presents MLB 2K12: The Perfect Club||Herself||Episode dated May 24, 2012|
- "7 Unknown Facts About Swimsuit Cover Model, Kate Upton". boldsky.com. February 15, 2012. Retrieved March 8, 2012.
- "Kate Upton – Cowgirl beauty". FHM. Retrieved March 10, 2012.
- "Kate Upton Profile". Fashion Model Directory. Retrieved February 26, 2011.
- Traina, Jimmy (February 15, 2015). "Hot Clicks". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved March 21, 2011.
- "Kate Upton". Ca.askmen.com. Retrieved March 10, 2012.
- "Melbourne's Kate Upton featured on cover of Sports Illustrated", Florida Today, February 13, 2012.
- "Upton new Niles AD". leaderpub.com. July 5, 2011. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- Sullivan, Robert (October 18, 2012). "The New Girl: Kate Upton".
- "Melbourne's Kate Upton on cover of Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue". Central Florida 13 News. February 14, 2012. Retrieved May 4, 2012.
- "Sports Illustrated Model is Fred Upton's Niece", Politico.com, March 3, 2011
- Meet Kate Upton’s Uncle; How a moderate Republican retooled for the Tea Party era, July 30, 2012, VOL. 17, NO. 43 Weekly Standard
- "In which we learn that Kate Upton's great grandfather invented the washing machine, and paid vacations". NBC Sports. February 13, 2012. Retrieved September 21, 2012.
- Rovell, Darren (April 12, 2011). "Catching Up With Model Kate Upton". CNBC. Retrieved July 4, 2011.
- Bevis, Brittany (June 1, 2010), Alpha youth exhibitor finds success as international fashion model, EquineChronicle.com, retrieved July 4, 2011
- "Kate Upton Guess Spring Collection 2011". MagXone. February 25, 2011. Retrieved March 6, 2012.
- "Beach Bunny Swimwear Supermodels Irina Shayk and Kate Upton Land the Cover of the 2011 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue" (Press release). Los Angeles, CA: PRWeb. February 2011.
- www.fhm.com. "Kate Upton is milking cows for Complex". Retrieved August 5, 2011.
- www.complex.com. "Kate Upton: The "Hot Complex" Gallery, Interview & Video". Retrieved August 5, 2011.
- Sullivan, Matt (June 17, 2011). "Kate Upton Is The Woman of Summer 2011". Esquire. Retrieved July 4, 2011.
- "Kate Upton Does The Dougie At A Clippers Game", Total Pro Sports. Retrieved June 16, 2011.
- "Kate Upton, Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model, Does 'The Dougie'". Huffington Post. April 5, 2011.
- Matt Donnelly (May 3, 2012). "Kate Upton: 3 days in the life of the 'cat daddy' video scandal". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 18, 2013.
- Tosh, Daniel. "Knife or Banana". Tosh.0. Retrieved June 13, 2011.
- "Celebrities Take To The Field For All-Star Softball Game", Huffington Post, July 11, 2011.
- "Clip from Tower Heist". Viewclips.net. Retrieved March 10, 2012.
- "Kate Upton as a Nun". December 7, 2011. Retrieved December 8, 2011.
- Finn, Natalie. "Top-Secret Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue Cover Leaks Early—Smile, Kate Upton!". E!. Retrieved February 13, 2012.
- "Model Kate Upton in American Vogue, November 2012". TruthandFashion.com. 11/03/2012. Retrieved November 5, 2012.
- "Model Kate Upton in Vogue Italia, November 2012". truthandfashion.com. 11/05/2012. Retrieved November 5, 2012.
- "Top Sexiest Models". Models.com. Retrieved February 18, 2013.
- "#3 Kate Upton". AskMen. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- "2012 Hot 100: Kate Upton". Maxim. April 27, 2012. Retrieved January 27, 2013.
- Finn, Natalie (February 9, 2013). "Kate Upton Revealed as 2013 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue Cover Girl". E!. Retrieved February 9, 2013.
- Sauers, Jenna (February 22, 2013). "Kate Upton Continues to Discuss How Antarctica Practically Killed Her". Jezebel. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- Chan, Amanda L. (February 13, 2013). "Frostbite Plagued Kate Upton After Sports Illustrated Photoshoot -- Why Is It Dangerous?". Huffington Post. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "Top Sexiest Models". Models.com. Retrieved February 18, 2013.
- "Kate Upton to share screen with Cameron Diaz". April 18, 2013. Retrieved May 2, 2013.
- "Kate Upton". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Kate Upton|
- Official website
- Kate Upton at the Fashion Model Directory
- Kate Upton at the Internet Movie Database
- The Kate Upton Effect: America's Favorite Bombshell, vogue.com