Upton at the New York Jets VIP draft party in 2011
|Born||Katherine Elizabeth Upton
June 10, 1992
St. Joseph, Michigan, U.S.
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
Katherine Elizabeth "Kate" Upton (born June 10, 1992) is an American model and actress, known for her appearances in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. Upton was named Rookie of the Year following her first appearance in 2011 and was the cover model for the 2012 and 2013 issues. She was also the subject of the 100th anniversary Vanity Fair cover.
Upton was born in St. Joseph, Michigan, and raised in Melbourne, Florida. She is the daughter of Shelley (née Davis), a former Texas state tennis champion, and Jeff Upton, a high school athletics director. Her uncle is U.S. Representative Fred Upton (R-MI). Upton's great-grandfather, Frederick Upton, was co-founder of appliance manufacturer and marketer Whirlpool Corporation.
Upton attended Holy Trinity Episcopal Academy. As a young equestrian, she showed at the American Paint Horse Association and competed at a national level. With her horse Roanie Pony, she won three APHA Reserve World Championships — 13 and Under Western Riding, 13 and Under Horsemanship, and 14–18 Western Riding. She was named the 13 and Under Reserve All-Around Champion, giving her a total of four reserve championships (2nd place). In addition, Upton ended up third overall on the APHA youth Top Twenty. With a second horse, Zipped, she won 14–18 Western Riding and was included in the top 5 in 14–18 Horsemanship and 14–18 Western Pleasure in 2009.
|Upton's Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover from February 19, 2012|
|Upton's Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover from February 15, 2013|
|Kate Upton's video of the Cat Daddy posted on May 1, 2012|
Upton first modeled clothing for Garage and Dooney & Bourke. She was the 2010–11 face of Guess. In 2011, Upton appeared in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. She was featured in the body paint section and named Rookie of the Year for that issue. She has since modeled for Beach Bunny Swimwear, and has appeared in Complex and Esquire as "The Woman of the Summer". Upton wore one of the Beach Bunny suits in the 2014 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue.
In April 2011, an Internet video of her doing the dougie hip-hop dance at a Los Angeles Clippers game went viral and served to increase her popularity. Guy Trebay of The New York Times observed that this served to illustrate the power of social media to bestow stardom upon a model, which had previously been the domain of top designer runway shows. In April 2012, Upton appeared in a video of herself performing the Cat Daddy dance to the song of the same name by The Rej3ctz, which also went viral.
Upton appeared on the cover of the 2012 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, released in February 2012. As of that month, her Twitter account had a following of 170,000 people. Upton has also recounted the negative aftereffects of the 2012 Sports Illustrated cover, saying, "I felt terrible about myself for a solid month. Every single guy I met was either married or about to be married, and I felt like I was their bachelor present or something."
Upton has appeared on the covers of Vogue Italia, British Vogue, CR Fashion Book, Cosmopolitan, French ELLE, GQ, Italian GQ, German GQ, Jalouse, Sunday Times Style, Esquire, The Daily, and Muse Magazine.
In 2012, she was ranked the fifth sexiest model by MODELS's. She ranked #3 on the American publication of AskMen's Top 99 Women for 2013. In 2012, she was listed on Maxim's HOT 100 list, citing her photo shoots with Sports Illustrated.
Upton was the cover model for the 2013 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue for the second consecutive year. Parts of her 2013 Sports Illustrated pictorial were filmed in Antarctica and Upton suffered from failing hearing and eyesight due to the extreme cold.
After getting the November 2012 Vogue Italia cover photographed by Steven Meisel and the January 2013 Vogue UK cover, Upton landed the June 2013 Vogue cover by Mario Testino. She was then photographed by Annie Leibovitz for the October 2013 100th anniversary cover of Vanity Fair.
In September 2013, Upton was named Model of the Year at the 10th annual Style Awards at the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York.
Upton appeared on the flip-side cover of the 2014 50th anniversary Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, the first time that type of cover was used by that magazine. Part of her shoot took place at Cape Canaveral, capturing her in zero gravity.
Upton has said that her belief in God is important to her. During a photo shoot, someone joked about a cross necklace she wore, "Why are you wearing a cross? Like you would be religious," then took the necklace from her to do the shoot. Upton stated about the incident: "I was really affected by that. The whole thing made me realize that I do want a cross with me, at all times." As a result, Upton had a cross tattooed on the inside of her finger.
Upton started dating Detroit Tigers baseball player Justin Verlander in late 2011. She admitted while filling in as a co-host for Kelly Ripa on Live! with Kelly and Michael that she cannot wear Tigers' gears while watching her favorite team, New York Yankees, play in Yankee Stadium when Verlander is the starting pitcher.
|2011||Tower Heist||Mr. Hightower's Mistress|
|2012||The Three Stooges||Sister Bernice|
|2014||The Other Woman||Amber|
|2011||Tosh.0||Herself||Episode: "Bug in Mouth Reporter"|
|2012||Sports Illustrated: The Making of Swimsuit 2012||Herself||TV special; dated February 14|
|2012||Saturday Night Live||Herself||Episode: "Maya Rudolph/Sleigh Bells"|
|2012||GTTV Presents MLB 2K12: The Perfect Club||Herself||Episode dated May 24|
- "Kate Upton Profile". Fashion Model Directory. Retrieved February 26, 2011.
- "7 Unknown Facts About Swimsuit Cover Model, Kate Upton". boldsky.com. February 15, 2012. Retrieved March 8, 2012.
- "Kate Upton - Voguepedia". Vogue.com. Retrieved 2014-04-29.
- "Monitor". Entertainment Weekly (1263): 40. Jun 14, 2013.
- "Kate Upton – Cowgirl beauty". FHM. Retrieved March 10, 2012.
- Traina, Jimmy (February 15, 2011). "Hot Clicks". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved March 21, 2011.
- Finn, Natalie. "Top-Secret Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue Cover Leaks Early—Smile, Kate Upton!". E!. Retrieved February 13, 2012.
- "Kate Upton". Ca.askmen.com. Retrieved March 10, 2012.
- "Melbourne's Kate Upton featured on cover of Sports Illustrated", Florida Today, February 13, 2012.
- "Upton new Niles AD". leaderpub.com. July 5, 2011. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- Sullivan, Robert (October 18, 2012). "The New Girl: Kate Upton".
- "Sports Illustrated Model is Fred Upton's Niece". Politico.com, March 3, 2011
- Warren, Michael (July 30, 2012). "Meet Kate Upton’s Uncle: How a moderate Republican retooled for the Tea Party era". vol. 17, NO. 43 Weekly Standard
- "In which we learn that Kate Upton's great grandfather invented the washing machine, and paid vacations". NBC Sports. February 13, 2012. Retrieved September 21, 2012.
- "Melbourne's Kate Upton on cover of Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue". Central Florida 13 News. February 14, 2012. Retrieved May 4, 2012.
- Rovell, Darren (April 12, 2011). "Catching Up With Model Kate Upton". CNBC. Retrieved July 4, 2011.
- Bevis, Brittany (June 1, 2010). "Alpha youth exhibitor finds success as international fashion model". Equine Chronicle. Retrieved July 4, 2011.
- chandoo (February 25, 2011). "Kate Upton Guess Spring Collection 2011". MagXone. Retrieved March 6, 2012.
- "Beach Bunny Swimwear Supermodels Irina Shayk and Kate Upton Land the Cover of the 2011 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue" (Press release). Los Angeles, CA: PRWeb. February 2011.
- www.fhm.com. "Kate Upton is milking cows for Complex". Retrieved August 5, 2011.
- www.complex.com. "Kate Upton: The "Hot Complex" Gallery, Interview & Video". Retrieved August 5, 2011.
- Sullivan, Matt (June 17, 2011). "Kate Upton Is The Woman of Summer 2011". Esquire. Retrieved July 4, 2011.
- "This tribute video to Kate Upton in bikinis is truly glorious". Guyism. 2014-02-26. Retrieved 2014-03-21.
- "Kate Upton Does The Dougie At A Clippers Game", Total Pro Sports. Retrieved June 16, 2011.
- "Kate Upton, Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model, Does 'The Dougie'". Huffington Post. April 5, 2011.
- Trebay, Guy (February 13, 2012). "Model Struts Path to Stardom Not on Runway, but on YouTube". The New York Times.
- Matt Donnelly (May 3, 2012). "Kate Upton: 3 days in the life of the 'cat daddy' video scandal". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 18, 2013.
- Tosh, Daniel. "Knife or Banana". Tosh.0. Retrieved June 13, 2011.
- "Celebrities Take To The Field For All-Star Softball Game", Huffington Post, July 11, 2011.
- "Clip from Tower Heist". Viewclips.net. Retrieved March 10, 2012.
- "Kate Upton as a Nun". December 7, 2011. Retrieved December 8, 2011.
- Koonse, Emma (August 8, 2013). "Kate Upton Boyfriend Rumors Slammed, Model Talks Religion: 'I Want A Cross With Me'". The Christian Post.
- "Model Kate Upton in American Vogue, November 2012". TruthandFashion.com. November 3, 2012. Retrieved November 5, 2012.
- "Model Kate Upton in Vogue Italia, November 2012". truthandfashion.com. November 5, 2012. Retrieved November 5, 2012.
- "Top Sexiest Models". Models.com. Retrieved February 18, 2013.
- "#3 Kate Upton". AskMen. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- "2012 Hot 100: Kate Upton". Maxim. April 27, 2012. Retrieved January 27, 2013.
- Finn, Natalie (February 9, 2013). "Kate Upton Revealed as 2013 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue Cover Girl". E!. Retrieved February 9, 2013.
- Sauers, Jenna (February 22, 2013). "Kate Upton Continues to Discuss How Antarctica Practically Killed Her". Jezebel. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- Chan, Amanda L. (February 13, 2013). "Frostbite Plagued Kate Upton After Sports Illustrated Photoshoot -- Why Is It Dangerous?". Huffington Post. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- Krupnick, Ellie (2012-10-29). "Kate Upton Vogue Italia Cover Is Model's First (PHOTO)". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- Krupnick, Ellie (2012-12-06). "Kate Upton Scores Vogue UK Cover For January 2013 (PHOTO)". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- Adams, Rebecca (2013-05-10). "Kate Upton Vogue Cover Labels Blonde 'Hottest Supermodel On Earth' (PHOTO)". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "Introducing Vanity Fair’s 100th Anniversary Issue, Featuring Cover Model Kate Upton". Vanity Fair. 2013-09-03. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- Proud, Amelia (September 5, 2013). "Women of the hour... glass figures! Kate Upton is crowned Model of the Year by ultimate cover girl Christie Brinkley at Style Awards". Daily Mail (London).
- Saad, Nardine (2014-02-18). "Surprise! Kate Upton lands Sports Illustrated Swimsuit flip cover". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2014-02-19.
- Sanchez, Josh (2014-02-18). "Kate Upton does shoot in zero gravity chamber for 2014 SI Swimsuit Issue (Video)". Upsided. Retrieved 2014-02-19.
- Nardine Saad (24 April 2014). "Huh? 'The Other Woman' bikini scene made Kate Upton uncomfortable". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- Amanda Dobbins (25 April 2014). "Read Every Line Kate Upton Says in The Other Woman". Vulture. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- "Kate Upton: 'I'm not a toy ... not here to be used". MSN. 2013. Retrieved 2013-08-13.
- "Kate Upton, Justin Verlander spotted together at NHL game". msn.foxsports.com. January 13, 2014. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "Kate Upton Claims Yankees Wouldn't Let Her Wear Tigers Gear at Yankee Stadium". Bleacher Report. 9 August 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- Joseph Steinberg (2014). "Forbes: Nude Photos Of Jennifer Lawrence And Kate Upton Leak: Five Important Lessons For All of Us". Forbes. Retrieved 2014-08-31.
- "Kate Upton". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kate Upton.|
- Official website
- Kate Upton on Twitter
- Kate Upton at the Fashion Model Directory
- Kate Upton at Models.com
- Kate Upton at the Internet Movie Database
- The Kate Upton Effect: America's Favorite Bombshell at Vogue.com