Katherine Anna Kang
|Katherine Anna Kang|
|Born||December 15, 1970|
|Occupation||film producer, video game producer/designer, entrepreneur|
In 2000, as founder and CEO of Fountainhead Entertainment she championed machinima and became known as one of machinima’s biggest supporters. Through Fountainhead Entertainment, she produced, wrote, and directed a variety of machinima pieces and co-founded the Academy of Machinima Arts & Sciences. In Machinima For Dummies, the machinima piece Anna is mentioned as “… one of the top ten list of every prominent machinima maker in the world.”
While at Fountainhead Entertainment, Kang produced and designed mobile games for id Software. Mobile game titles Doom RPG and the Orcs & Elves series were heralded as some of the best mobile games of their time.[by whom?] Orcs & Elves was eventually ported to the Nintendo DS with Kang producing and designing.
Formerly, Kang was the Director of Business Development for id Software where she worked on Quake III Arena and various mission packs and Quake II ports. In 2008, she returned to id Software as President of id Mobile where she produced and designed Wolfenstein RPG and Doom II RPG. She also produced the iPhone-only game Doom Resurrection.
Kang’s contributions to machinima are noted in the published book The Art of Machinima, written by Paul Marino.
Kang married game programmer John Carmack on January,5, 2000. In August 2004, Kang gave birth to their first child. Kang gave birth to their second child in November 2009. Due to Kang's role in id Software and the life of John Carmack, she was mentioned in the final chapters of Masters of Doom.
Through Fountainhead Entertainment, Kang has won the following awards:
- AMAS Best Technical Achievement for Anna
- AMAS Best Direction for In The Waiting Line
- IGN.com Adventure Game of the Year for Doom RPG
- 1UP.com Mobile Game of the Year for Doom RPG
- Gamespot’s Mobies Mobile Game of the Year for Doom RPG
- Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences Best Cell Game for Orcs & Elves
- IGN.com Best of E3 – Best Wireless RPG for Orcs & Elves
- IGN.com Best Wireless Story for Orcs & Elves
- Leipzig Game Convention Best Mobile Game for Orcs & Elves
- Nintendo DS: Orcs & Elves (2007), for id Software, published by EA.
- iPhone: Doom Resurrection (2009), for id Software.
- Cell phone: Doom 2 RPG (2010), for id Software.
- Cell phone: Wolfenstein RPG (2008), for id Software, published by EA Mobile.
- Cell phone: Orcs & Elves 2 (2007), for id Software, published by EA Mobile.
- Cell phone: Orcs & Elves (2006), for id Software, published by EA Mobile.
- Cell phone: Doom RPG (2005), for id Software, published by JAMDAT.
- Sidrial (2002), Fileplanet, CGW, PCZone, Play, PC Gamer, GameOn.
- Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac OS X: Quake III Arena (1999), id Software, published by Activision, Inc.
- Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac OS X: Quake II (1997), id Software, published by Activision, Inc.
- Microsoft Windows, Linux: Kingpin: Life of Crime (1999), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
- "Orcs & Elves DS Developer Diary #1". Vgblogger.com. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Independent film makers see market in machinima - Aug. 12, 2005". Money.cnn.com. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Orcs & Elves". Gamefaqs.com. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- [dead link]
- Andy Clarke and Grethe Mitchell (eds.) (2005). "Videogames and Art: Intersections and Interactions" (PDF). Intellect Books (UK). Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- [dead link]
- "GameGirlz.Com - Weekly Women Spotlight- Katherine Anna Kang". Gamegirlz.com. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- [dead link]
- "Anna Kang Talks Orcs & Elves & Diamonds". WIRED. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- Hancock, Hugh and Ingram, Johnnie (2007). Machinima for Dummies, New Jersey: Wiley Publishing. ISBN 978-0-470-09691-8.
- Cefrey, Holly (2008). Career Building through Machinima, New York: The Rosen Publishing Group. ISBN 978-1-4042-1358-6.
- Gamasutra: Fountainhead's Kang on Orcs&Elves
- GamerGirlz spotlight on Kang
- Wired article on Machinima
- CNN Money article on Machinima
- Machinima Anna video on YouTube created by Katherine Anna Kang