Katherine Corri Harris
Katherine Corri Harris, also known as Katherine Harris Barrymore (October 1, 1890 - May 2, 1927) was a silent film actress who appeared only in three films. Katherine grew up in wealth and privilege and was a product of High Society. She was the first wife of the actor John Barrymore. They were married from 1910-1917. She had an affair with James Montgomery Flagg, the famous painter, and a friend of hers. The affair took place during the waning years of her marriage to Barrymore though it wasn't the cause for her split with Barrymore.
Katherine appeared in two of her husband's now lost silent films, Nearly a King (1916) & The Lost Bridegroom (1916). In 1918, Katherine starred as Lily Bart in the silent film version of Edith Wharton's 1905 novel The House of Mirth, directed by Albert Capellani.
When she died in 1927 John Barrymore was at her bedside. Both Katherine and Blanche Oelrichs (John's second wife) were delivered by the same doctor on the same day within an hour of each other in the same city, Newport, Rhode Island. The actress Alice Joyce was also born on this day but in another city.
She died in New York City.
- (*see "Damned in Paradise" below)
- Divorces "Jack" Barrymore. The New York Times, December 5, 1917
- Marshall, Scott. "Edith Wharton on Film and Television: A History and Filmography." Edith Wharton Review (1996): 15-25. Washington State University. 15 Jan. 2009
- Damned in Paradise: The Life of John Barrymore, page 122, by John Kobler c. 1977
- The Barrymores by Hollis Alpert c. 1964, pages 162-165
- Damned in Paradise: The Life of John Barrymore by John Kobler c.1977 page 157
- Hoffman, Carol Stein. The Barrymores: Hollywood's First Family. Lexington, Ky: University Press of Kentucky, 2001. pgs: 48,51,55.
- Katherine Corri Harris at the Internet Movie Database
- Katherine Corri Harris at the Internet Broadway Database
- Katherine Harris playing indoor golf in 1915
- Katherine Corri Harris playing indoor golf (front shot) in 1915
- New York Times article from 1913 with portrait of Katherine Corri Harris. (This is in PDf)
- Katherine and Jack circa 1915