Kathie Sarachild, born Kathie Amatniek in 1943, is an American feminist writer and campaigner. In 1968 she took the last name Sarachild (after her mother Sara), coined the phrase Sisterhood is Powerful in a flier she wrote for the keynote speech she gave for New York Radical Women's first public action at the convocation of the Jeannette Rankin Brigade, was one of four women who held the Women's Liberation banner at the Miss America protest, and had her paper "A Program for Radical Feminist Consciousness-Raising" presented at the First National Women's Liberation Conference outside Chicago on November 27, 1968 (it was later published in Notes from the Second Year in 1970.)  She was a member of New York Radical Women. In February 1969 she led Redstockings in their disruption of the New York State Abortion Reform Hearing, at which women first demanded to testify about their own abortions.
She played a leading part in the consciousness-raising movement in the 1960s and 1970s. She wrote "Consciousness-Raising: A Radical Weapon", which was presented to the First National Conference of Stewardesses for Women's Rights in 1973 in New York city.
She was also the founding co-editor of Woman's World newspaper in 1971, and the chief editor for and an author for the Redstockings' anthology Feminist Revolution (published in 1975). As of 2006 she is the director of the Redstockings Women's Liberation Archive for Action, a position she has held since 1989. She has four stepchildren.
- "Sarachild, Kathie". Civil Rights Digital Library. Retrieved 2011-08-06.
- Feminists who Changed America, 1963-1975 - Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- Love, Barbara (2006). Feminists who changed America, 1963-1975. Urbana: University of Illinois Press. ISBN 9780252031892.
- Faludi, Susan. "Susan Faludi: How Shulamith Firestone Shaped Feminism". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Consciousness-Raising: A Radical Weapon". Documents from the Women's Liberation Movement, Special Collections Library, Duke University. Retrieved 2011-08-06.
- Sarachild, Kathie (1978). Feminist revolution. New York: Random House. ISBN 0394408217.
|This article about an American writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|