|Full name||Kathleen Elizabeth Hersey|
February 21, 1990 |
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||165 lb (75 kg)|
|Stroke(s)||Butterfly, individual medley|
|College team||University of Texas|
Early years and education
Hersey was born in Athens, Georgia. Hersey is the daughter of Brian and Regina Hersey, who adopted her when she was three days old. Regina Hersey, a former freelance editor, died in January 2012 after a battle with colon cancer. Hersey says she draws inspiration from her father, a financial consultant, who has used a wheelchair since the 1980s after a spinal cord aneurysm, but still maintains an active lifestyle. She is a 2008 graduate of Marist School in Atlanta, where she set national high school records in the 100-yard butterfly and 200-yard individual medley.
Hersey was a public relations major at the University of Texas, where she swam for the Texas Longhorns swimming and diving team in 2009 and 2010. During her two years as a Longhorn swimmer, she won eleven Big 12 Conference championships, and was a seven-time All-American. Hersey left the Lady Longhorns swim team after the 2009–10 school year to train individually under Longhorn Aquatics head coach Eddie Reese.
Hersey competed in the 2007 Pan American Games, where she won gold medals in the 100-meter butterfly, 200-meter butterfly, 400-meter individual medley, and 4x100-meter medley relay. Also in 2007, at the U.S. Short Course Nationals, Hersey won the 400-meter individual medley. and placed second in the 200 butterfly and 200 IM.
Hersey qualified for the 2008 Olympic Games by placing second in the 200-meter butterfly, her signature event, at the U.S. Olympic Team Trials in Omaha, Nebraska. Additionally, she placed fifth in the final of the 400 m individual medley in Omaha with a career best time of 4:42.07. At the Olympics, Hersey finished eighth in the 200-meter butterfly finals with a time of 2:08.23. She had swum a then career best 2:06.96 in the semifinals of this event a day earlier.
At the 2009 USA Swimming National Championships, Hersey won the 200-meter butterfly in a new career best time of 2:06.44, earning a place on the 2009 World Championships roster. Hersey also placed fifth in the 100 m butterfly in 58.36. At the 2009 World Aquatics Championships in Rome, Hersey placed ninth overall in 2:06.89, barely missing a place in the final.
Hersey won a bronze medal in the 200-meter butterfly at the 2010 Pan Pacific Swimming Championships.
In 2011, Hersey won the 200-meter butterfly at the USA Swimming National Championships. She also placed first in the event at the 2011 Duel in the Pool.
2012 Summer Olympic Games
At the 2012 United States Olympic Trials in Omaha, Nebraska, the U.S. qualifying meet for the Olympics, Hersey made the U.S. Olympic team for the second time by finishing second in the 200-meter butterfly behind Cammile Adams with a time of 2:07.72. Hersey also competed in the 200-meter freestyle but did not advance past the semi-finals, and placed third in the 100-meter butterfly final.
- List of United States records in swimming
- List of University of Texas at Austin alumni
- Texas Longhorns
- Mike Tierney (July 10, 2008). "Hersey, 18, finding success at the right time". NBCOlympics.com.
- Kevin Robbins (November 27, 2008). "Horns' Hersey lives life in her own lane". Austin American-Statesman.
- Jill Vejnoska (August 3, 3008). "OLYMPICS 2008: Super teen in the water". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Check date values in:
- "2007 US Short Course Nationals results: Women's 400 IM final". November 30, 2007.
- "2007 US Short Course Nationals results: Women's 200 butterfly final". December 1, 2007.
- "2007 US Short Course Nationals results: Women's 200 IM final". November 29, 2007.
- "2008 US Olympic Team Trials results: Women's 200m butterfly final". July 3, 2008.
- "2008 US Olympic Team Trials results: Women's 400m IM final". June 29, 2008.
- "2009 USA National Championships results: Women's 200m butterfly final". July 10, 2009.
- "2009 USA National Championships results: Women's 100m butterfly finals". July 8, 2009.
- "2009 World Championships results: Women's 200m butterfly semifinals". July 29, 2009.
- Kathleen Hersey – National Team swimmer profile at USASwimming.org
- Kathleen Hersey – University of Texas athlete profile at TexasSports.com