Bernardo at the Candy Style Awards, May 2013
|Born||Kathryn Chandria Manuel Bernardo
26 March 1996
Cabanatuan City, Nueva Ecija, Philippines
|Occupation||Actress, Host, Endorser, Model, Recording Artist, Dancer, Singer|
|Known for||Mara Clara|
|Religion||Iglesia ni Cristo|
|Star Magic's official site|
Kathryn Chandria Manuel Bernardo, known as Kathryn Bernardo (born 26 March 1996 in Cabanatuan City, Philippines), is a Filipina actress. She is best known for her role as Mara in the primetime Filipino drama, Mara Clara. Bernardo is currently[when?] a contract artist of Star Magic and ABS-CBN and most recently starred as Ana Bartolome in the 2011 drama film, Way Back Home. She also played the main protagonist Mikay in the primetime series Princess and I.
Bernardo began acting in 2003, appearing as the young Cielo in It Might Be You. She went on to play different roles in other ABS-CBN shows like Krystala,Super Inggo and Vietnam Rose before landing a permanent spot in the hit kiddie show, Goin' Bulilit.
2010–11: Mara Clara / Growing Up
In 2010, Bernardo went on to dramatic roles by landing the role of the young Victoria in ABS-CBN's Magkaribal and in GMA's Endless Love as the young Jenny. Coincidentally, both premiered in the same day of 28 June 2010.
Her breakthrough role was Mara in the remake of Mara Clara with her co-star and real life bestfriend Julia Montes. Since its premiere, the teleserye was a consistent leader in primetime ratings. Affirming its success, the show was nominated in the 2011 Banff World Media Festival in the "Telenovelas & Soap Operas" category.
After the primetime teleserye finished, Bernardo soon began appearing in the Sunday afternoon teen show, Growing Up. Together again with Julia Montes, the show starred other up and coming ABS-CBN teen stars like Kiray Celis, Diego Loyzaga and Daniel Padilla. In the show, Bernardo played the role of 15-year old Ella, who lives with her single mother. The show premiered strongly ranking number 2 overall in the afternoon block.
2012–13: Princess and I and Got to Believe
The actress starred in Princess and I, a romance-drama royalty-themed television series, following the success of the youth-oriented show, Growing Up in 2011. Playing the role of Mikay/Princess Areeyah, the teleserye is touted as one of the grandest, being the first Philippine show to be shot in Bhutan. In this show, Bernardo is paired once again to her Growing Up partner, Daniel Padilla. Aside from Padilla, Bernardo also has two other leading men, Enrique Gil and Pilipinas Got Talent Season 3 former contestant Khalil Ramos. Other veteran actors like Gretchen Barretto and Albert Martinez join the cast.
The show enjoyed success as the number one primetime show in September 2012. In August 2013, she and Daniel Padilla were scheduled to have another television series,Got To Believe,
Bernardo's film career started in 2004 with the movie Gagamboy. However, it was only in 2011 where she, together with her Mara Clara co-star Julia Montes, was launched as lead role in the movie Way Back Home. The film opened at first place with an estimated P18 million within its first week surpassing other foreign films shown the same week in Philippine cinemas, like The Smurfs and Conan the Barbarian according to Box Office Mojo.
In that same year, Bernardo joined Regal Film's Metro Manila Film Festival entry, Shake, Rattle & Roll 13. From being known as a young dramatic actress, Bernardo tried the horror genre by taking one of the lead roles in the second story, Parola. Her performance received positive reviews. In a review for ClickTheCity.com, Philbert Dy called Bernardo's performance "fantastic". He said in his review, "A fantastic performance from Kathryn Bernardo ties it all together. It might just be one of the best things that has ever come out of Shake Rattle and Roll." Together with Padilla, they both starred in an all-star cast Filipino rom-com movie entitled, 24/7 in love and was released at 21 November 2012.
In 1st quarter of 2013, Bernardo alongside with his loveteam partner Daniel Padilla had their first solo project film from Star Cinema entitled Must Be... Love that showned last March 13 of the said year.
In December 2013, Bernardo and Padilla will be having their film (an entry for 2013 Metro Manila Film Festival) produced by Skylight Films and Regal Films entitled Pagpag, which will be showned on Christmas Day.
For Princess and I, Bernardo released a single for the show's soundtrack. The single is titled "Mula Noon Hanggang Ngayon", originally sung by Lea Salonga. The album reached Gold status as of September 2012.
- "Kathryn Bernardo's official fansite". KKBusddies. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- . Bench. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "‘Princess and I’ Stars Release "Love Songs from Princess and I" Album". showbiznest.com. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "Featured Actress : Kathryn Bernardo". GEOtayo Philippines. Geotayo Philippines. 2009. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Quintos, Napoleon (11 May 2011). "Kathryn Bernardo feels pressured about her launching movie with Star Cinema". Push.
- Almo, Nerisa (4 August 2011). "Enrique Gil thankful to have been chosen as a replacement in Way Back Home". Philippe Entertainment Portal.
- Santiago, Erwin (25 June 2010). "Endless Love stars Kristoffer Martin and Kathryn Bernardo: The next Joshua Dionisio and Barbie Forteza?". Pep. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- Villagomez, Kaye (24 April 2011). "'Mara Clara' scores int'l award body's nod". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Montealegre, Lyn Luna (1 September 2011). "Diego Loyzaga, Julia Montes, Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla reveal their growing-up insecurities". Pep.ph. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Santiago, Erwin (6 September 2011). "Kantar Media-TNS National Household Ratings (Sept. 2-5): Kapamilya shows rule primetime race; 100 Days To Heaven leads ABS-CBN campaign". Pep.ph. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Santos, Rhea Manila (22 March 2012). "Kathryn Bernardo shares her experience shooting ‘The Princess and I’ in Bhutan". Push.
- Montealegre, Lyn Luna (9 April 2012). "Daniel Padilla opens up about his feelings for Kathryn Bernardo". Pep. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- Franco, Bernie (23 September 2012). "Gretchen Barretto’s advice to Kathryn Bernardo: ‘Nagkamali ako in the past, wag n’yong gagayahin’". Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Sancon, Allan (4 August 2012). "Kathryn Bernardo and Julia Montes tagged as "future superstars"". Pep. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- Way Back Home first week gross retrieved 7 October 2012
- Mendoza, Abby (5 December 2011). "Kathryn Bernardo shifts from drama to horror in Shake Rattle and Roll 13". Pep.ph. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Dy, Philbert. "A Worthy Anthology". Movie Review for Shake Rattle And Roll XIII. Clickthecity.com. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Almo, Nerisa (12 August 2012). "Daniel Padilla and Kathryn Bernardo will join Vice Ganda and Kris Aquino in Sisteraka". Pep. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- "Daniel Padilla and Kathryn Bernardo in Star Cinema's "Must Be Love"". Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- "Daniel Padilla,Kathryn Bernardo "Must Be… Love"". Retrieved February 27, 2013.
- "Pagpag Starring Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla".
- "Mother Lily pahinga na sa Shake… pero may sosyo sa Pagpag".
- Sunio-Granali, Demai (14 September 2012). "Stars shine at the Bench Universe fashion show". Pep. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Santos, Rhea (11 February 2012). "Enchong Dee admits he will miss working on ‘Maria la Del Barrio’". Pep. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Magaru, Rod. "(MUSIC) OST ALBUM "Love Songs from Princess and I, Turned GOLD in Two Months". http://rodmagaru.com. Retrieved 7 October 2012.