Bernardo at the Candy Style Awards, May 2013
|Born||Kathryn Chandria Manuel Bernardo
26 March 1996
Cabanatuan City Nueva Ecija, Philippines
|Occupation||Actress, model, recording artist|
|Agent||Star Magic 2003–present|
|Known for||Mara Clara, Princess and I, Got to Believe|
|Religion||Iglesia ni Cristo|
Kathryn Chandria Manuel Bernardo (born 26 March 1996 in Cabanatuan City, Philippines), known as Kathryn Bernardo, is a Filipina actress. She is best known for her role as Mara in the primetime Filipino drama Mara Clara. Bernardo has been a contract artist of Star Magic and ABS-CBN since 2010 and most recently starred as Ana Bartolome in the 2011 drama film Way Back Home. She also played the main protagonist Mikay in the primetime series Princess and I. Known as the reigning "Teen Queen" of the Philippines due to her numerous successes and prominent beauty, FHM UK placed her on "The Top 10 Hottest Nations in the World" list, representing the country at fifth place alongside French-Filipina actress Solenn Heussaff in July 2014.
Kathryn Chandria Manuel Bernardo was born on March 26, 1996 in Cabanatuan City, Nueva Ecija, Philippines. She is the youngest of four children of Teodore C. Bernardo and Luzviminda M. Bernardo. Bernardo studied at the OB Montessori Center Inc. before making her acting debut in 2003. She was home schooled, and currently attends Enderun Colleges, Taguig, where she studies marketing. She is in a relationship with her on-screen love partner Daniel Padilla.
Bernardo began acting in 2003, appearing as the young Cielo on ABS-CBN's It Might Be You. She then continued to play different roles in other ABS-CBN shows such as Krystala, Super Inggo and Vietnam Rose before landing a permanent spot on the hit kiddie show Goin' Bulilit.
Bernardo's breakthrough role was her as Mara Davis/Mara Del Valle in the remake of 1992 television drama Mara Clara with her co-star and off-screen best friend Julia Montes. Since its premiere, the TV series remained a consistent leader in primetime ratings. Affirming its success, the show was nominated in the 2011 Banff World Media Festival's "Telenovelas & Soap Operas" category and marked Bernardo's future as a distinguished actress.
After the primetime teleserye ended Bernardo soon began appearing in the Sunday afternoon teen show Growing Up. Re-partnering with Julia Montes, the show starred other up and coming ABS-CBN teen stars such as Kiray Celis, Diego Loyzaga and Daniel Padilla. On the show, Bernardo played the role of 15-year old Ella who lives with her single mother. The show premiered strongly, ranking at number 2 overall on the afternoon block of primetime television.
Bernardo's film career started in 2004 with the movie Gagamboy. However, it was only in 2011 when she, together with her Mara Clara co-star Julia Montes, received a lead role in the movie Way Back Home. The film opened at first place with an estimated PHP 18 million (US $428,571) in its first week that then surpassed other foreign film showings at the time, such as The Smurfs and Conan the Barbarian according to Box Office Mojo.
In that same year, Bernardo was included in Regal Film's Metro Manila Film Festival entry Shake, Rattle & Roll 13. Bernardo took on the horror genre by snagging one of the lead roles of the film's second story called Parola. Her performance received positive reviews. In a review for ClickTheCity.com, Philbert Dy praised Bernardo's acting: "A fantastic performance from Kathryn Bernardo ties it all together. It might just be one of the best things that has ever come out of Shake Rattle and Roll."
The actress starred in Princess and I, a romance/drama royalty-themed television series, following the success of Growing Up. With a cast flanked by Daniel Padilla as Gino Dela Rosa, Enrique Gil as Prince Jao and Bernardo as Mikay/Princess Areeyah, the teleserye is touted as one of the grandest, being the first Philippine show to be shot in Bhutan. Aside from Padilla and Gil as Bernardo's leading men on the show, Pilipinas Got Talent Season 3 former contestant Khalil Ramos played Mikay's unrequited lover and best friend Kiko. Other veteran actors like Gretchen Barretto and Albert Martinez joined the star-studded cast.
The show garnered unprecedented ratings and appraisal as the number one primetime show in September 2012, opening many more doors for Bernardo's shining career. August 2013 saw she and Daniel Padilla announcing another television series: Got to Believe in which Bernardo plays Chichay Tampipi, a teenage girl who reunites with her childhood friend Joaquin Manansala (Padilla) after many years; Chichay falls for the rich boy despite their economic differences and family pasts, encountering difficult obstacles that put their love to the test. Got to Believe was also a primetime television hit, gathering 38.6% percent in ratings during the broadcast of the show's final episode and placing at #2 on Kantar Media's nationwide TV ranking list.
Together with Padilla, they both starred in a Filipino romantic-comedy movie entitled 24/7 in love that was released on 21 November 2012. She then starred alongside comedian Vice Ganda together with Daniel Padilla in the 2012 MMFF entry, Sisterakas; in the 1st quarter of 2013, Bernardo, with co-star Daniel Padilla, released her first solo project film from Star Cinema entitled Must Be... Love that was broadcast on 13 March.
In December 2013, Bernardo and Padilla starred in the film (an entry for 2013 Metro Manila Film Festival) Pagpag (produced by Skylight Films and Regal Films) which was broadcast on Christmas Day.
They once again headlined a movie adaptation of Bianca Bernardino's best-selling novel named She's Dating the Gangster as part of Star Cinema's 20th anniversary in July 2014. The movie was produced by Star Cinema, co-produced by Summit Media and directed by Cathy Garcia-Molina. This is the 5th movie in which Bernardo and Padilla are paired on the big screen after the success of their romantic comedy television series Got to Believe (which was also directed by Garcia-Molina). According to Star Cinema Advertising Manager Mico del Rosario the film was a financial success, gathering PHP 15 million (US $340,000) on its first day of showing. On its 4th week (3 August 2014), the movie reportedly grossed PHP 230 million (US $5,476,190).
The Teen Queen, Kathryn Bernardo had already given numerous singing projects such as her guesting in Daniel Padilla’s concert “DOS” and ABS-CBN Summer Station ID “Pinasmile” which she performed with Daniel Padilla.
Bernardo already released a single before for her show in Princess and I. The single is titled “Mula Noon Hanggang Ngayon”, originally sung by Lea Salonga. Her singing voice was also featured in the song “Ikaw Na Nga” which was used in the local airing of the Korean series Pretty Man.
According to Kathryn on her previous interviews with ABS-CBN, she cited as inspirations American pop stars Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande in terms of her musical career. Locally, Bernardo said she considers Sarah Geronimo and Yeng Constantino as her music idols.
Kathryn’s album under Star Music is slated for release later this month of November. It contained six songs and a number of bonus tracks.
|2003||It Might Be You||Cielo San Carlos||ABS-CBN|||
|2005||Vietnam Rose||Carina Mojica dela Cerna|
|2006||Gulong ng Palad||Mimi Sandoval|
|Komiks Presents: Agua Bendita||Agua Cristi / Bendita Cristi|||
|Komiks Presents: Bandanang Itim||Juliana|
|Super Inggo||Maya Guevarra|||
|2007||Pangarap na Bituin||Chorva Ayala Gomez|
|Prinsesa ng Banyera||Mayumi Burgos|
|2008||Maalaala Mo Kaya: Bracelet||Zorayda|
|2009||Your Song Presents: You Know It's Christmas||Stephanie|
|Maalaala Mo Kaya: Blusa||Nympha|
|Super Inggo at ang Super Tropa||Maya Guevarra|
|2010||Endless Love||Young Jenny Dizon / Jenny Cruz||GMA|
|Magkaribal||Victoria Valera / Anna Abella||ABS-CBN|
|Mara Clara (2010 TV series)||Mara David / Mara del Valle|
|2011||Wansapanataym: Apir Disapir||Jenny||Season 2, Episode 42|
|Growing Up||Mikaella "Ella" Dimalanta / Cassandra|
|2012||Maalaala Mo Kaya: Ensaymada||Dang||Season 20, Episode 5|||
|Princess and I||Maria Mikaela "Mikay" Maghirang-Dela Rosa /
Princess Areeyah Wangchuk-Rinpoche
|2013||Got to Believe||Cristina Carlotta "Chichay" Tampipi|||
|2014||Be Careful With My Heart||Young Felicidad|||
|Wansapanataym: Puppy ko si Papi||Iris||Season 3, Episode 215|
|2005||Nasaan Ka Man||Pilar|
|2006||Tatlong Baraha||Inah Valiente|||
|2011||Way Back Home||Joanna Santiago / Ana Bartolome|
|Shake, Rattle & Roll 13||Lucy||Part 2: Parola|
|2012||24/7 in Love||Jane Dela Cuesta|
|Sisterakas||Katherine "Kathy" Maningas|
|2013||Must Be... Love||Patricia "Patchot" Espinosa|||
|Pagpag: Siyam na Buhay||Leni dela Torre|||
|2014||She's Dating the Gangster||Athena Dizon / Kelay Dizon|||
- . Bench. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- "‘Princess and I’ Stars Release "Love Songs from Princess and I" Album". showbiznest.com. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "Featured Actress : Kathryn Bernardo". GEOtayo Philippines. Geotayo Philippines. 2009. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Quintos, Napoleon (11 May 2011). "Kathryn Bernardo feels pressured about her launching movie with Star Cinema". Push.
- Almo, Nerisa (4 August 2011). "Enrique Gil thankful to have been chosen as a replacement in Way Back Home". Philippe Entertainment Portal.
- "Kathryn Bernardo, Solenn placed Philippines as world’s sexiest country". angmalaya.net. 25 July 2014. Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "Kathryn Bernardo on going back to school: 'Nagiging normal college girl ako'".
- "Kathryn, Daniel now 'exclusively dating'".
- "Kathryn Bernardo on relationship with Daniel Padilla: 'Hindi official pero very special'".
- Santiago, Erwin (25 June 2010). "Endless Love stars Kristoffer Martin and Kathryn Bernardo: The next Joshua Dionisio and Barbie Forteza?". Pep. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- Villagomez, Kaye (24 April 2011). "'Mara Clara' scores int'l award body's nod". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Montealegre, Lyn Luna (1 September 2011). "Diego Loyzaga, Julia Montes, Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla reveal their growing-up insecurities". Pep.ph. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Santiago, Erwin (6 September 2011). "Kantar Media-TNS National Household Ratings (Sept. 2-5): Kapamilya shows rule primetime race; 100 Days To Heaven leads ABS-CBN campaign". Pep.ph. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Sancon, Allan (4 August 2012). "Kathryn Bernardo and Julia Montes tagged as "future superstars"". Pep. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- Way Back Home first week gross retrieved 7 October 2012
- Mendoza, Abby (5 December 2011). "Kathryn Bernardo shifts from drama to horror in Shake Rattle and Roll 13". Pep.ph. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Dy, Philbert. "A Worthy Anthology". Movie Review for Shake Rattle And Roll XIII. Clickthecity.com. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Santos, Rhea Manila (22 March 2012). "Kathryn Bernardo shares her experience shooting ‘The Princess and I’ in Bhutan". Push.
- Montealegre, Lyn Luna (9 April 2012). "Daniel Padilla opens up about his feelings for Kathryn Bernardo". Pep. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- Franco, Bernie (23 September 2012). "Gretchen Barretto’s advice to Kathryn Bernardo: ‘Nagkamali ako in the past, wag n’yong gagayahin’". Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Almo, Nerisa (12 August 2012). "Daniel Padilla and Kathryn Bernardo will join Vice Ganda and Kris Aquino in Sisteraka". Pep. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- "Daniel Padilla and Kathryn Bernardo in Star Cinema's "Must Be Love"". Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "Daniel Padilla,Kathryn Bernardo "Must Be… Love"". Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Pagpag Starring Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla".
- "Mother Lily pahinga na sa Shake… pero may sosyo sa Pagpag".
- "She's Dating the Gangster earns 260 million in 4 weeks". Rod Magaru Show. 5 August 2014. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "She's Dating the Gangster (2014)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- List of Komiks episodes
- List of Maalaala Mo Kaya episodes #Season 20
- "Kathryn Bernardo as part of the cast of Baraha (2006 film)". IMDb. Retrieved 1 December 2012.