Bernardo at the Candy Style Awards,
Rockwell Tent in Makati, 10 May 2013
|Born||Kathryn Chandria Bernardo
March 26, 1996
Cabanatuan City, Nueva Ecija, Philippines
|Occupation||Actress, Singer, Endorser, Model, Recording Artist |
|Agent||Star Magic 2003 –present
Star Music 2014 –present 
ASAP Artists 2012 –present
|Known for||Mara Clara, Growing Up, Princess and I, Got to Believe, Pangako Sa 'yo|
|Religion||Iglesia ni Cristo |
Kathryn Chandria Manuel Bernardo (born 26 March 1996 in Cabanatuan City, Philippines), known as Kathryn Bernardo, is a Filipina actress. She is best known for her role as Mara in the primetime Filipino drama Mara Clara. Bernardo has been a contract artist of Star Magic and ABS-CBN since 2010 and most recently starred as Ana Bartolome in the 2011 drama film Way Back Home. She also played the main protagonist Mikay in the primetime series Princess and I. Known as the reigning "Teen Queen" of the Philippines due to her numerous successes and prominent beauty, FHM UK placed her on "The Top 10 Hottest Nations in the World" list, representing the country at fifth place alongside French-Filipina actress Solenn Heussaff in July 2014.
Kathryn Chandria Manuel Bernardo was born on March 26, 1996 in Cabanatuan City, Nueva Ecija, Philippines. She is the youngest of four children and the daughter of Teodore C. Bernardo and Luzviminda M. Bernardo. Bernardo studied at OB Montessori Center Inc. before her acting debut in 2003. She was home schooled, and currently attends Enderun Colleges, Taguig, where she studies marketing.
Bernardo began acting in 2003, appearing as the young Cielo on ABS-CBN's It Might Be You. She then continued to play different roles in other ABS-CBN shows such as Krystala, Super Inggo and Vietnam Rose before landing a permanent spot on the hit kiddie show Goin' Bulilit.
Bernardo's breakthrough role was her as Mara David/Mara Del Valle in the remake of 1992 television drama Mara Clara with her co-star and off-screen best friend Julia Montes. Since its premiere, the TV series remained a consistent leader in primetime ratings. Affirming its success, the show was nominated in the 2011 Banff World Media Festival's "Telenovelas & Soap Operas" category and marked Bernardo's future as a distinguished actress.
After the primetime teleserye ended, Bernardo soon began appearing in the Sunday afternoon teen show Growing Up. Re-partnering with Julia Montes, the show starred other up and coming ABS-CBN teen stars such as Kiray Celis, Diego Loyzaga and Daniel Padilla. On the show, Bernardo played the role of 15-year old Ella who lives with her single mother. The show premiered strongly, ranking at number 2 overall on the afternoon block of primetime television.
Bernardo's film career started in 2004 with the movie Gagamboy. However, it was only in 2011 when she, together with her Mara Clara co-star Julia Montes, received a lead role in the movie Way Back Home. The film opened at first place with an estimated PHP 18 million (US $428,571) in its first week that then surpassed other foreign film showings at the time, such as The Smurfs and Conan the Barbarian according to Box Office Mojo.
In that same year, Bernardo was included in Regal Film's Metro Manila Film Festival entry Shake, Rattle & Roll 13. Bernardo took on the horror genre by snagging one of the lead roles of the film's second story called Parola. Her performance received positive reviews. In a review for ClickTheCity.com, Philbert Dy praised Bernardo's acting: "A fantastic performance from Kathryn Bernardo ties it all together. It might just be one of the best things that has ever come out of Shake Rattle and Roll."
The actress starred in Princess and I, a romance/drama royalty-themed television series, following the success of Growing Up. With a cast flanked by Daniel Padilla as Gino Dela Rosa, Enrique Gil as Prince Jao and Bernardo as Mikay/Princess Areeyah, the teleserye is touted as one of the grandest, being the first Philippine show to be shot in Bhutan. Aside from Padilla and Gil as Bernardo's leading men on the show, Pilipinas Got Talent Season 3 former contestant Khalil Ramos played Mikay's unrequited lover and best friend Kiko. Other veteran actors like Gretchen Barretto and Albert Martinez joined the star-studded cast.
The show garnered unprecedented ratings and appraisal as the number one primetime show in September 2012, opening more doors for Bernardo's shining career. August 2013 saw she and Daniel Padilla announcing another television series: Got to Believe in which Bernardo plays Chichay Tampipi, a teenage girl who reunites with her childhood friend Joaquin Manansala (Padilla) after many years; Chichay falls for the rich boy despite their economic differences and family pasts, encountering difficult obstacles that put their love to the test. Got to Believe was also a primetime television hit, gathering 38.6% percent in ratings during the broadcast of the show's final episode and placing at #2 on Kantar Media's nationwide TV ranking list.
Together with Padilla, they both starred in a Filipino romantic-comedy movie entitled 24/7 in love that was released on 21 November 2012. She then starred alongside comedian Vice Ganda together with Daniel Padilla in the 2012 MMFF entry, Sisterakas; in the 1st quarter of 2013, Bernardo, with co-star Daniel Padilla, released her first solo project film from Star Cinema entitled Must Be... Love that was broadcast on 13 March.
In December 2013, Bernardo and Padilla starred in the film (an entry for 2013 Metro Manila Film Festival) Pagpag (produced by Skylight Films and Regal Films) which was broadcast on Christmas Day.
Bernardo and Padilla once again headlined a movie adaptation of Bianca Bernardino's best-selling novel named She's Dating the Gangster as part of Star Cinema's 20th anniversary in July 2014. The movie was produced by Star Cinema, co-produced by Summit Media and directed by Cathy Garcia-Molina. This is the 5th movie in which Kathryn and Padilla are paired on the big screen after the success of their romantic comedy television series Got to Believe (which was also directed by Garcia-Molina). According to Star Cinema Advertising Manager Mico del Rosario the film was a financial success, gathering PHP 15 million (US $340,000) on its first day of showing. On its 4th week (3 August 2014), the movie reportedly grossed PHP 230 million (US $5,476,190).
Bernardo has been involved in numerous singing ventures, such as her guest appearances for Daniel Padilla’s concert “DOS” and her participation in the soundtrack albums of her primetime television shows.
Bernardo recorded her first solo material “Mula Noon Hanggang Ngayon” as part of the soundtrack for Princess and I in 2012 and was originally sung by Lea Salonga. In 2013, she recorded a cover of David Pomeranz's "Got to Believe in Magic" with Padilla for their primetime television Got 2 Believe.
In 2014, she began to venture into music by recording various original songs and releasing her first studio album titled Kathryn. A duet with Padilla titled was used as the theme song for ABS-CBN's Summer Station. Bernardo also released her first solo original song titled “Ikaw Na Nga Yata”, which was used in the local airing of the Korean series Pretty Man. On November 6, she released the lead single to her debut album titled "You Don't Know Me" which was written by Marion Aunor and is about a blooming relationship that fails to take off because of the lack of effort of one of those involved to genuinely get to know the other. The album was released on November 30 under Star Music, consisting of eleven songs in total.
|2014||PinaSmile||with Daniel Padilla|||
|You Don’t Know Me||Herself||December 24, 2014|||
|Mr. Dj||March 8, 2015|
|2012||Mula Noon Hanggang Ngayon||Herself|
|2013||Pagdating ng Panahon|||
|Got to Believe in Magic||with Daniel Padilla|
|2014||Ikaw Na Nga Yata||Herself|||
|2003||It Might Be You||Young Cielo San Carlos||ABS-CBN|||
|2005||Vietnam Rose||Young Carina Mojica dela Cerna|||
|2006||Gulong ng Palad||Mimi Sandoval|
|Komiks Presents: Agua Bendita||Agua Cristi / Bendita Cristi|||
|Komiks Presents: Bandanang Itim||Juliana|
|Super Inggo||Maya Guevarra|||
|2007||Pangarap na Bituin||Chorva Ayala Gomez|
|Prinsesa ng Banyera||Mayumi Burgos|
|2008||Maalaala Mo Kaya: Bracelet||Zorayda|
|2009||Your Song Presents: You Know It's Christmas||Stephanie|
|Maalaala Mo Kaya: Blusa||Nympha|
|Super Inggo at ang Super Tropa||Maya Guevarra|
|2010||Endless Love||Young Jenny Dizon / Jenny Cruz||GMA|
|Magkaribal||Victoria Valera / Anna Abella||ABS-CBN|||
|Mara Clara||Mara David / Mara del Valle|||
|2011||Wansapanataym: Apir Disapir||Jenny||Season 2, Episode 42|
|Growing Up||Mikaella "Ella" Dimalanta / Cassandra|
|2012||Maalaala Mo Kaya: Ensaymada||Dang||Season 20, Episode 5|||
|Princess and I||Maria Mikaela "Mikay" Maghirang-Dela Rosa /
Princess Areeyah Wangchuk-Rinpoche
|2013||Got to Believe||Cristina Carlotta "Chichay" Tampipi - Manansala|||
|2014||Be Careful With My Heart||Young Felicidad|||
|Wansapanataym: Puppy ko si Papi||Iris||Season 5, Episode 225|||
|2015||Maalaala Mo Kaya: Parol||Daisy Ravelo||Season 21, Episode 204|||
|Pangako Sa 'Yo||Yna Macaspac|||
& Regal Entertainment
|2005||Nasaan Ka Man||Pilar||Star Cinema|
|2006||Tatlong Baraha||Inah Valiente||Violett Films|||
|2011||Way Back Home||Joanna Santiago / Ana Bartolome|
|Shake, Rattle & Roll 13||Lucy||Regal Entertainment, Inc.
& Regal Multimedia, Inc.
|Part 2: Parola|
|2012||24/7 in Love||Jane Dela Cuesta||Star Cinema|
|Sisterakas||Katherine "Kathy" Maningas||Star Cinema & Viva Films|
|2013||Must Be... Love||Patricia "Patchot" Espinosa||Star Cinema|||
|Pagpag: Siyam na Buhay||Leni dela Torre||Star Cinema & Regal Films|||
|2014||She's Dating the Gangster||Athena Dizon / Kelay Dizon||Star Cinema & Summit Media|||
|2015||Crazy Beautiful You||Jacqueline "Jackie" Serrano||Star Cinema|||
- . Bench. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- "‘Princess and I’ Stars Release "Love Songs from Princess and I" Album". showbiznest.com. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- Kathryn Bernardo Official Star Music Artist Profile.
- Kathryn Bernardo Official ASAP Artist Profile.
- "Being an Iglesia ni Cristo (INC) member, Kathryn Bernardo shared that she can only commit to a relationship if the person is also a member of her church.". push.abs-cbn.com. 18 March 2014.
- "Featured Actress : Kathryn Bernardo". GEOtayo Philippines. Geotayo Philippines. 2009. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Quintos, Napoleon (11 May 2011). "Kathryn Bernardo feels pressured about her launching movie with Star Cinema". Push.
- Almo, Nerisa (4 August 2011). "Enrique Gil thankful to have been chosen as a replacement in Way Back Home". Philippe Entertainment Portal.
- "Kathryn Bernardo, Solenn placed Philippines as world’s sexiest country". angmalaya.net. 25 July 2014. Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "Kathryn Bernardo on going back to school: 'Nagiging normal college girl ako'".
- "Kathryn, Daniel now 'exclusively dating'".
- "Kathryn Bernardo on relationship with Daniel Padilla: 'Hindi official pero very special'".
- Santiago, Erwin (25 June 2010). "Endless Love stars Kristoffer Martin and Kathryn Bernardo: The next Joshua Dionisio and Barbie Forteza?". Pep. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- Villagomez, Kaye (24 April 2011). "'Mara Clara' scores int'l award body's nod". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Montealegre, Lyn Luna (1 September 2011). "Diego Loyzaga, Julia Montes, Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla reveal their growing-up insecurities". Pep.ph. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Santiago, Erwin (6 September 2011). "Kantar Media-TNS National Household Ratings (Sept. 2-5): Kapamilya shows rule primetime race; 100 Days To Heaven leads ABS-CBN campaign". Pep.ph. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Sancon, Allan (4 August 2012). "Kathryn Bernardo and Julia Montes tagged as "future superstars"". Pep. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- Way Back Home first week gross retrieved 7 October 2012
- Mendoza, Abby (5 December 2011). "Kathryn Bernardo shifts from drama to horror in Shake Rattle and Roll 13". Pep.ph. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Dy, Philbert. "A Worthy Anthology". Movie Review for Shake Rattle And Roll XIII. Clickthecity.com. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Santos, Rhea Manila (22 March 2012). "Kathryn Bernardo shares her experience shooting ‘The Princess and I’ in Bhutan". Push.
- Montealegre, Lyn Luna (9 April 2012). "Daniel Padilla opens up about his feelings for Kathryn Bernardo". Pep. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- Franco, Bernie (23 September 2012). "Gretchen Barretto’s advice to Kathryn Bernardo: ‘Nagkamali ako in the past, wag n’yong gagayahin’". Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Almo, Nerisa (12 August 2012). "Daniel Padilla and Kathryn Bernardo will join Vice Ganda and Kris Aquino in Sisteraka". Pep. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- "Daniel Padilla and Kathryn Bernardo in Star Cinema's "Must Be Love"". Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "Daniel Padilla,Kathryn Bernardo "Must Be… Love"". Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Pagpag Starring Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla".
- "Mother Lily pahinga na sa Shake… pero may sosyo sa Pagpag".
- "She's Dating the Gangster earns 260 million in 4 weeks". Rod Magaru Show. 5 August 2014. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "She's Dating the Gangster (2014)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- ABS-CBN officially launched its 2014 summer station ID on Sunday, 30 March 2014. ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- Kathryn Bernardo ventures into music. ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2014-08-21.
- "LISTEN: Kathryn's new song 'You Don't Know Me'". ABS-CBN News. 6 October 2014. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- #SNAPSHOTS: Kathryn Bernardo talks about her upcoming music videos. Star Cinema. Retrieved 2014-11-21.
- Teen Queen Kathryn Bernardo is now dominating the recording industry. Star Cinema. Retrieved 2014-12-01.
- Kathryn’s feel-good musical surprise. philstar.com. Retrieved 2014-11-29.
- Kathryn Album on ABS-CBN's Star Music.
- "Kathryn Bags Gold Record Award". Star Music. ABS-CBN. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- ABS-CBN Summer Station ID 2014 Recording Sessions. ABS-CBN Entertainment. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- ABS-CBN Summer Station ID 2010 Summer Ang Simula. ABS-CBN Entertainment. Retrieved 2010-03-21.
- ABS-CBN releases Ulan Station ID 2012. ABS-CBN Entertainment. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- Nasa Iyo Na Ang Lahat by Daniel Padilla (Official MV). ABS-CBN Star Music. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- DANIEL PADILLA - Simpleng Tulad Mo (Official MV). ABS-CBN Star Music. Retrieved 2014-08-29.
- Got to Believe Official Sountrack Album on iTunes.
- VIDEO: Kathryn Bernardo: The Teen Queen of Drama. ABS-CBN.com. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- Kathryn Bernardo graduates from "the young" roles; she plays Mara, the part which gave Judy Ann Santos her biggest break. Pep.ph. Retrieved 2011-01-26.
- List of Komiks episodes
- Where on earth is Super Inggo's Maya? ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2010-04-10.
- List of Maalaala Mo Kaya episodes#Season 20
- Kathryn Bernardo brings life to a young girl who discovers that she is a princess who has been separated from her royal family. Pep.ph. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- What happened to Kathryn and Daniel's 'Got to Believe'? ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- SILIPIN: KathNiel sa 'Be Careful with My Heart'. ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2014-09-14.
- List of Wansapanataym episodes
- Kathryn Bernardo I MMK January 3, 2015 Teaser. ABS-CBN Entertainment. Retrieved 2014-12-27.
- Pangako Sa'yo 2015 Remake Teaser. ABS-CBN Entertainment. Retrieved 2014-12-02.
- Mga bagong programa ng ABS-CBN, ipinasilip sa Kapamilya Trade Event. ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2014-12-03.
- "Kathryn Bernardo as part of the cast of Baraha (2006 film)". IMDb. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- Tatlong Baraha of Violett Films brought home three awards, namely Best Visual Effects, Best Festival Float and Best Make Up. Retrieved 2010-11-13.
- Supahpapalicious Cast on IMDB.
- Must Be... Love Official Page on Star Cinema.
- Pagpag: Siyam na Buhay Official Page on Star Cinema
- She's Dating the Gangster Official Page on Star Cinema
- Crazy Beautiful You Official Page on Star Cinema.