||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
Her first released recordings were on the album Intuition, a collection of songs by various South Yorkshire folk artists which also included her friend Kate Rusby. Roberts went on to record the critically acclaimed album Kate Rusby & Kathryn Roberts with her in 1995.
Roberts and Rusby decided to form the band Equation, along with the Devon-based Lakeman brothers (Sean, Sam and Seth), recording an EP CD during 1995. Rusby and Roberts shared lead vocals. This led to the group being signed to Warners by Geoff Travis. Rusby left soon after, to be replaced with Cara Dillon. Dillon also left after one album, leaving Roberts as the sole lead singer. Equation made four albums and two EPs. They toured throughout the UK, Europe and extensively through the USA.
Equation have enjoyed considerable success in the USA, but also have a following back in England. The band is currently on hiatus. Kathryn Roberts and Sean Lakeman toured as a duo in 2006 and returned to touring in 2011. Kathryn appeared on Seth Lakeman's albums Kitty Jay, Freedom Fields and Poor Man's Heaven (Album).
Kathryn took part in the Cecil Sharp Project in March 2011, a multi-artist residential project organised by the Shrewsbury Folk Festival to create new works based on the life, work and collecting of Cecil Sharp.
Kathryn Roberts and Sean Lakeman are the parents of twin girls, Poppy and Lily, born 1 July 2007.
- Intuition (1993)
- Kate Rusby & Kathryn Roberts (1995)
- Equation - In Session (1995)
- Equation - Return To Me (1996, released 2003)
- Equation - Hazy Daze (1998)
- Equation - The Lucky Few (1999)
- Equation - Dark Ages (EP) (2001)
- Equation - First Name Terms (2002)
- Kathryn Roberts & Sean Lakeman - 1 (2003)
- Kathryn Roberts & Sean Lakeman - 2 (2004)
- Kathryn Roberts & Sean Lakeman - Hidden People (2012)