Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List
|Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List|
Season 1 DVD Cover
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||6|
|No. of episodes||48 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Bryan Scott
|Running time||46 minutes
|Production company(s)||Picture This Television|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||August 3, 2005– August 3, 2010|
Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List is an American reality television series on Bravo. The series debuted on August 3, 2005. The series follows the struggle of self-proclaimed "D-list" celebrity Kathy Griffin to climb the Hollywood ladder. This often includes scheming for publicity with staffers Jessica, Tiffany, and Tom. Her relationships with her parents and her now ex-husband have also been heavily featured.
Background and Production history
Griffin had titled her first Bravo comedy special The D-List (2004), to imply that her pull as a bottom-feeder celebrity was so low, she didn't even make the "C-list." The special was so popular that the network later approached Griffin to film a reality series based on her celebrity-bashing comedy.
All six seasons of the program were nominated for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Reality Program, with seasons 2 and 3 winning in 2007 and 2008. Season 3 (2007) premiered with the highest ratings for the show, with approximately one million viewers. Season 4 (2008) was the first expanded season, with ten episodes.
Season 5 (2009) premiered with almost one million viewers, making it Bravo's highest rated Monday original series telecast ever in all demographics, at the time. The premiere was also up double digits among adults 18–49 versus the Season 4 premiere. Production began on Season 6, shooting eight episodes of the new season in January 2010. According to Griffin's official website filming wrapped in April. The season included, "An estate sale with Maggie, a pap smear in public and standing up in D.C. for the rights of our troops". It aired June 15, 2010, preceded by a new comedy special that was taped in Knoxville. Liza Minnelli gave Griffin acting lessons in one episode just before her guest appearance on season 11 of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. Jane Fonda wanted to do an episode but her schedule was not free until October. The sixth season premiered on June 15, 2010 and concluded on August 3, 2010.
It was announced that the show would not be renewed for a seventh season.
|Season premiere||Season finale|
|1||6||August 3, 2005||September 7, 2005|
|2||6||June 6, 2006||July 18, 2006|
|3||7||June 5, 2007||July 24, 2007|
|4||10||June 12, 2008||August 14, 2008|
|5||10||June 8, 2009||August 10, 2009|
|6||8||June 15, 2010||August 3, 2010|
- On March 16, 2007, Universal announced that Season 1 of "D-List" would be released onto DVD on June 12, 2007, a week after the premiere of the third season. Special features include a Season 2 Sneak Peek and the special "Kathy Griffin Is... Not Nicole Kidman."
- On April 6, 2010, Target announced that it had partnered with cable channel Bravo to exclusively distribute its line of reality TV series on DVD, starting with Season 2 of "D-List", which was released on April 13, 2010, and includes webisodes as a special feature.
- Season 3 of "D-List" was released exclusively by Target in July 2010, as part of its partnership with Bravo. Bonus features include extended scenes, stand-up from Kathy, and video blogs from her assistants.
- Season 4 was also released exclusively at Target in October 2010. It includes all 10 episodes and unseen content.
Awards and nominations
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010)|
|2006||Primetime Emmy Award||Outstanding Reality Program||Season 1||Nominated|
|19th GLAAD Media Awards||Best Reality Program||Won|||
|Producers Guild of America Awards||Best Non-Fiction Programming||Nominated|
|Primetime Emmy Award||Outstanding Reality Program||Nominated|
|20th GLAAD Media Awards||Best Reality Program||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Show: Reality/Variety||Nominated|
|2010||Primetime Emmy Award||Outstanding Reality Program||Season 5||Nominated|||
|21st GLAAD Media Awards||Best Reality Program||Nominated|
|Hollywood Teen TV Awards||"Teen Pick Show: Reality Show "||Season 6||Nominated|
|2011||Primetime Emmy Award||Outstanding Reality Program||Nominated|
- "Bravo Inks Deal with Kathy Griffin for Unscripted Series to Document the Comic's Life on the D-List". Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- Andy Denhart (2010-12-11). "Kathy Griffin Cancelled, won't be back". realityblurred.com.
- Denhart, Andy (2007-12-11). Fourth season of My Life on the D-List starts production Dec. 31, will air in June. Reality Blurred. Retrieved on 2008-02-15.
- Rocchio, Christopher (2007-12-11). Kathy Griffin: Fourth 'D-List' season to begin taping, premiere in June. Reality TV World. Retrieved on 2008-02-13.
- Gorman, Bill (9 June 2009). "My Life On The D-List Delivers Bravo's Highest Rated Monday Original Series Telecast Ever". Retrieved 2012-08-18.
- Chiu, Alexis (November 10, 2009). "Season 6 begins shooting January 2010". TV Watch (People). Retrieved November 11, 2009.
- "That's a Rap! Filming Ends". KathyGriffin.net. Retrieved April 25, 2010.
- Huver, Scott (April 27, 2010). "Kathy Griffin Returns to the D-List". TV Guide Magazine (OpenGate Capital). Retrieved April 30, 2010.
- "Bravo Confirms End of the Road for 'Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List'". Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- David Lambert (2007-03-16). "Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List — Kathy's Show Heads from Bravo to DVD". TVShowsOnDVD.com.
- David Lambert (2007-04-06). "Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List — Menu Screens Show Extras for 1st Season DVDs". TVShowsOnDVD.com.
- Erik Gruenwedel (2010-04-07). "Target to Sell Bravo Reality TV DVDs". Home Media Magazine.
- Target (2010-08-13). "Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List — Purchase page on Target.com". Target.com.
- Hale, Mike (June 12, 2008). "Four Years On, Clinging to Lower Status". The New York Times.
- Orloff, Brian (13 September 2008). "Kathy Griffin, Cynthia Nixon Win Creative Arts Emmys". People. Retrieved 2012-08-18.
- "Bravo's 'Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List' Wins Glaad Award to Air June 27". thefutoncritic.com. 28 April 2008. Retrieved 2012-08-18.
- Heller, Corinne (8 July 2010). "Emmy Awards 2010: Get the full list of nominations!". ontheredcarpet.com. Retrieved 2012-08-18.
- Hollywood Teen TV Awards hollywoodtentv.com. Accessed 2010-07-13.
- Official website
- Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List at the Internet Movie Database
- Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List at TV.com
- My Life on the D-List - TV Locations - Virtual Globetrotting