April 21, 1964 |
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
|Other names||The Punisher, Queen of Mean, Princess of Pain|
|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Height||5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)|
|Fighting out of||Los Angeles, California|
|Rank||Kung Fu San Soo
8th degree black belt in |
1st degree black belt in Aikido
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Long was born in St. Louis, Missouri, and was raised in Sunny Mead, California. Later, she moved to Bakersfield where she trained in martial arts under Eric Nolan, who was her manager and trainer throughout her kickboxing career.
Long has acted in numerous movies, and was Michelle Pfeiffer's stunt double in Batman Returns. Long provided commentary at the first Ultimate Fighting Championship event. On August 15, 2009 she made her debut in mixed martial arts, defeating Avery Vilche.
Long currently lives in Los Angeles where she teaches martial arts at Azteca Training Center, which she co-owns.
Long is a practitioner of the martial arts. She began her training in the Japanese art of Aikido, eventually earning a black belt in the system. Long would go on to earn a black belt in Chinese Kung Fu San Soo, eventually reaching the level of master in the style. She would train in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu with the Machado family, as well as in Kali, and Wing Chun Kung Fu.
In the 1990s, Long was inducted into several sports halls of fame. These would include the Bob Elias' Sports Hall of Fame, Inside Kung Fu Hall of Fame ("Female of the Year"), and the Black Belt Magazine Black Belt Hall of Fame (1991 "Women of the Year"). She has appeared on the cover of 35 magazines. Between 1994 and 1998, Long authored a monthly column in Black Belt Magazine.
Long currently teaches at Tapout LA
Long became a professional kickboxer, and one of the top female fighters in the sport's history. She compiled an impressive 18-1 record, winning 5 world titles in the process, and earning several nicknames including the "Queen of Mean", "Princess of Pain", and "The Punisher".
Some of her ring career highlights include wins over Ramona Gatto, Bonnie Canino, Japanese star Kyoko "Kamikaze" Miyazaki, French champion Dani Rocard, Canadian champion Nora Daigle and two defeats over Denise Taylor. Her only loss as a professional kickboxer came in a Muay Thai match with Britain's Lisa Howarth at Pickett's Lock near London in February 1990.
Mixed Martial Arts
On August 15, 2009, almost 16 years after she provided commentary for the very first Ultimate Fighting Championship, Long made her MMA debut defeating fighter Avery Vilche by decision at Call to Arms promotions Called Out event in Ontario, California.
In preparation for her debut Long trained with Betiss Mansouri and Romie Aram at Millennia MMA, Gokor Chivichyan and Gene LeBell at the Hayastan Academy, Ahmad Reese and Lisa Twight of Gym Jones, Javier Vazquez at Universal Martial Arts Center, and with Muay Thai and strength conditioning coach Maria Morales.
Titles and Honors
Hall of Fames
- Black Belt Hall of Fame (1991 Woman of the Year)
- Black Belt Hall of Fame (1992 Full Contact Fighter of the Year)
- Inside Kung Fu Hall of Fame (1992 Female of the Year)
- Bob Ellas Kern County Sports Hall of Fame (1996)
- 2x KICK World Kickboxing Champion
- 1x WKA World Kickboxing Champion
- 1x ISKA World Kickboxing Champion
- 1x WMAC World Kickboxing Champion
|Professional record breakdown|
|1 match||1 win||0 losses|
|Win||1-0||Avery Vilche||Decision (unanimous)||Called Out MMA 1||August 15, 2009||3||3:00||Ontario, California, United States|
- Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1995) .... Kickboxing Instructor
- Under the Gun (1995) .... Lisa Krause
- Walker, Texas Ranger (TV) Episode:Deep Cover (1995) .... Jane Cousins
- The Stranger (1995) .... The Stranger
- Natural Born Killers (1994) ....Female deputy kicking Mickey
- Knights (1993) .... Nea
- Street Justice (TV) Episode:Desperate (1993) ...Lisa J Hansen
- Rage and Honor (1992)...Fros-T
- Natural Born Killers (1994)
- Batman Returns (1992)
- USA Dojo >> Kathy Long Biography URL accessed on October 7, 2010.
- "MOVIES The Next Action Hero? Kathy Long is a champion kickboxer whose movie moves remind some of Norris and Van Damme". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2010-12-21.
- Coleman, Jim (1992). "Kathy Long is Catwoman". Black Belt 30 (8): 24–26.
- Gentry, III, Clyde (2005). No Holds Barred: Ultimate Fighting and the Martial Arts Revolution. Milo Books. ISBN 978-1-903854-30-3.
- "Kathy Long Profile". International Kickboxing Federation. Retrieved 2010 October 7.
- Kathy Long vs Lisa Howarth Part One Accessed on October 7, 2010.
- Kathy Long vs Lisa Howarth Part Two URL accessed on October 7, 2010.
- Convicted Artist >> Kathy Long Profile URL accessed on October 7, 2010