|Birth name||Kathyrn Valentine|
|Born||January 7, 1959|
|Genres||Pop rock, pop punk|
|Associated acts||The Violaters, The Textones, The Go-Go's, The Impossible, Blue Bonnets, Johnny Goudie|
Valentine began playing at age 16 in her hometown of Austin, and joined a fledgling Girlschool in London, England in 1975. In 1978, Valentine relocated to Los Angeles, California and co-founded The Textones with Carla Olson.
She joined the Go-Go's on New Year's Eve 1980, as a substitute for an ailing bassist, but was asked to remain as a permanent member shortly thereafter. She wrote "Can't Stop the World" on the Go-Go's debut album, and co-wrote the hit singles, "Vacation", "Head over Heels", and "The Whole World Lost Its Head" which appeared on subsequent releases. After the Go-Go's disbanded for the first time in 1985, Valentine played guitar in the World's Cutest Killers with former Girlschool guitarist Kelly Johnson.
In 2005, she released a solo recording, Light Years, that she co-produced, wrote, arranged and performed the guitar and vocal tracks. She now resides in her hometown of Austin with her daughter. Valentine played with the Go-Go's for 31 years, had a solo band; the Impossible, played guitar in the Delphines with Dominique Davalos and different drummers. She now plays with a new line-up of BlueBonnets, is a student majoring in English, working as a writer, and has taken opportunities to be a public speaker at a variety of events.
On March 8, 2013, the Go-Go's official website said "irreconcilable differences" had led to the departure of bassist Kathy Valentine. On May 24, Valentine sued her former bandmates for "breach of fiduciary duty and abuse of control...in an attempt to deprive [her] of her position and interest in the group, including her right to receive her full one-fifth, 20% share of the benefits and revenues generated by the group substantial reputation, fame, and goodwill."
Kathy is divorced from, and has a daughter with Steven Weisburd, who was a drummer with Los Angeles rock bands such as Fields Laughing, Pop Art, Breakfast and Grady before becoming an attorney. In 2007 they sold their home in Studio City, California to move back to Austin, Texas.
- Biography from IMDb
- "The Go-Go's Biography". Musicianguide.com. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- Go-Go's Biography[dead link]
- "Update from Go-Go's HQ". 8 March 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-18.
- "Valentine v. Carlisle et al". Case BC510027, Los Angeles County Superior Court. The Hollywood Reporter. 24 May 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-21.
- Couch, Aaron (25 May 2013). "Kathy Valentine alleges the other members of the iconic girl band are attempting to reduce her share in the group.". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2013-06-21.
- "Go-Go’s bassist Kathy Valentine sells home in Studio City". BergProperties.com. Retrieved 2011-08-19.