Katie (talk show)
|Created by||Katie Couric|
|Developed by||Jeff Zucker|
|Directed by||Joseph Terry
|Presented by||Katie Couric|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||327|
|Running time||42 minutes|
|Production company(s)||KAC Productions
Times Square Studios
|Distributor||Disney–ABC Domestic Television|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||September 10, 2012– May 2014|
Katie is an American talk show that airs on syndication. It is hosted by former ABC News correspondent and current Yahoo News anchor Katie Couric. It premiered on September 10, 2012, with the second season debut on September 9, 2013.
Katie covers news and topics "that people care about". It is essentially a lifestyle show, but with news components to reflect Couric’s background and interests. During an interview on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno in 2011, Couric said that she expected the show to cover various issues and be a mixture of The Oprah Winfrey Show and Today.
Since launching the show, Couric has incorporated her affiliation with the ABC News division into her talk show. She has had colleagues Christianne Amanpour, Deborah Roberts, Sam Champion, Matt Gutman, Richard Besser, Marci Gonzalez, Jim Avila, Dan Abrams, Josh Elliot, Brian Ross, and ABC World News Anchor Diane Sawyer correspond on her show for important news events. On the domestic end of her affiliations, Couric has had The View co-host Whoopi Goldberg, Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan of Live! with Kelly and Michael, as well as some cast members of the soap opera General Hospital.
On June 6, 2011, it was announced that Katie Couric had signed up a deal with Disney–ABC Television Group for a syndicated talk show that would premiere in September 2012 and be distributed by Disney-ABC Domestic Television. In the process, ABC announced intentions to relinquish to its affiliates the final hour of its daytime programming lineup (3-4 p.m. Eastern time), occupied at the time by the soap opera General Hospital, to make room for the new program. The decision was made due to resistance from ABC affiliates to air Katie at 4:00 p.m. (ET) because many of them expanded their local newscasts during the timeslot after The Oprah Winfrey Show went off the air in 2011.
In March 2012, Couric and Zucker reportedly expressed concern to ABC executives about having the ABC Daytime talk show The Revolution as a possible lead-in to Katie due to the program's stagnant ratings and concerns of potential fan outcry should the launch of Katie result in the cancellation of General Hospital. On April 11, 2012, ABC decided to keep General Hospital on the air, while effectively cancelling The Revolution. ABC later announced that General Hospital would be moving to the 2 p.m. (ET) timeslot starting September 10, 2012, thus making it the lead-in for Katie on most of the ABC stations carrying the program. The first official promo for the show was released on June 14, 2012.
Katie premiered on Monday, September 10, 2012. The show airs at 3:00 p.m. (ET) on all eight ABC owned-and-operated stations, as part of their local schedules. Approximately 96 percent of the affiliates that carry the show in the 50 top U.S markets are ABC stations. Although affiliates are encouraged to air Katie during the 3:00 p.m. timeslot (ET), the actual airtime of the program varies from one market to another. The executive producer of the program was former NBCUniversal CEO and former executive producer of Today, Jeff Zucker. He left the show on January 2013 to join CNN.
On January 30, 2013, Katie was renewed for a second season.
On December 19, 2013, it was announced that Katie was canceled. In a statement, Disney-ABC and Couric said: "We've mutually agreed that there will not be a third season of the show. We're very proud of everyone’s contributions to making Katie the No. 1 new syndicated talk show of 2012-13, and we look forward to the rest of the season."
Awards and nominations
|2013||39th People's Choice Awards||Favorite New Talk Show Host||Nominated|
|40th Daytime Emmy Awards||Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Talk Show Informative||Nominated|
- Official website
- Katie at the Internet Movie Database
- Katie (talk show) at TV Guide
- Katie on Twitter
- Guthrie, Marisa (June 10, 2013). "Two More Producers Exit Katie". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Katie on Syndication". TV Guide. Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- Fernandez, Sofia (August 22, 2011). "Katie Couric Talk Show Will Be Called Katie". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Lacey Rose; Marisa Guthrie (June 6, 2011). "It's Official: Katie Couric Will Host Syndicated Talk Show at ABC". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Albiniak, Paige (March 15, 2012). "Katie to Premiere Sept. 10". Broadcasting & Cable.
- Bibel, Sara (September 5, 2013). "Li'l Wayne to Appear on the 'Katie' Season 2 Premiere, Monday, September 9". TV by the Numbers (Press release).
- Kondolojy, Amanda (December 19, 2013). "'Katie' Canceled After Two Seasons by Disney-ABC". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (December 19, 2013). "It's Official: Katie Couric's Syndicated Talk Show To End After Two Seasons". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- Carter, Bill (December 19, 2013). "Katie to End Production in June After Two Seasons". The New York Times. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- Rose, Lacey (June 6, 2011). "Katie Couric Opens Up About Her New Talk Show (Q&A)". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "ABC Renews 'General Hospital' and 'The Chew,' Cancels 'The Revolution'". The Hollywood Reporter. April 11, 2012.
- Castina (June 7, 2011). "What Does Katie Couric’s Talk Show Mean For “General Hospital?”". Pop Crunch.
- "Will Katie Couric Save General Hospital?". TV Guide. March 9, 2012. Retrieved April 11, 2012.
- "ABC's The Revolution Cancelled, General Hospital Renewed". Deadline. April 11, 2012. Retrieved April 11, 2012.
- "BREAKING NEWS! Abc Renews General Hospital". Soap Opera Digest. April 11, 2012. Retrieved April 11, 2012.
- "ABC'S GENERAL HOSPITAL TIME PERIOD CHANGE BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 10, 2012". ABC Medianet. June 26, 2012. Retrieved June 26, 2012.
- "First promo for Katie Couric talk show — VIDEO". Entertainment Weekly. June 14, 2012. Retrieved June 16, 2012.
- Lewis, Errol (June 6, 2011). "Clearing Up the Statements: What Will ABC Daytime Look Like in Fall 2012?". Soap Opera Network.
- Gorman, Bill (October 24, 2011). "Katie Couric's Daytime Show 'Katie' Cleared In Over 60% Of The Country In Just Six Weeks". TV by the Numbers (Press release).
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 17, 2012). "Katie Couric’s Syndicated Talk Show Seeks Executive Producer As Jeff Zucker Eyes Exit". Deadline Hollywood.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 29, 2012). "‘Katie’ Prepares For Life After Jeff Zucker". Deadline Hollywood.
- "Better. Every. Day. Citytv Unveils Strongest Prime-Time Schedule for 2012-13 Season". Canada Newswire. May 29, 2012. Retrieved September 14, 2012.
- "Katie — citytv.com". Citytv. Retrieved September 15, 2012.
- Andreeva, Andreeva (January 30, 2013). "‘Katie’ Officially Renewed For Season 2". Deadline Hollywood.