Katja Rahlwes left Germany at the age of 16 for London and then moved to Paris in 1988 to study fashion design at Studio Berçot, Paris.
In 1995-2004, Rahlwes set out for a career as a freelance fashion stylist. She met Olivier Zahm and Elein Fleiss, co-founders and publishers of Purple Prose, later called Purple fashion, in 1996. Rahlwes has been collaborating with Purple ever since and took part of a new movement of visual language in the publication world. In 1998-2001, Rahlwes became chief-fashion editor and photo-editor at BIBA, a major market fashion magazine in Paris.
Throughout those years she would live a parallel life as a professional stylist and part-time photographer. She said it was, “like having a husband and a lover.” In 2003, she eventually chose photography over her styling career.
UltraMegalore, Group exhibition curated by Hannelore Knuts at Modemuseum Hasselt, Belgium, 2010
RxART, Benefit Auction at Phillips de Pury & Company, New York, USA, 2007
Maison Martin Margiela, Group exhibition,Paris,France, 2007
Concrete Castle, Group Exhibition at Confort Moderne, Poitier, France, 2007
2001/2010:les années fatales, Group Exhibition for Céline & Libération Style, Paris, France, 2004
Indigestible Correctness, Group Exhibition at Participant Inc, New York, USA, 2004
Violence the True Way, Group Exhibition at Peter Kilchmann Gallery, Zurich, Switzerland, 2003
- Ezra Petronio and Suzanne Koller: Selected Works, Subjective Inventory, JRP|Ringier, 2008, ISBN 978-3-905829-54-9
- Purple Anthology, Rizzoli, 2008, ISBN 978-0-8478-3020-6
- Butt Book, Taschen, 2006, ISBN 978-3-8228-3021-5
- Larocca, Amy (2007-08-19). "Cindy Crawford Models This Season's Chunky Knits - Fall Fashion 2007 - New York Magazine". Nymag.com. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Confort Moderne - Rupture des évidences". Confort-moderne.fr. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "ART IN REVIEW; 'Indigestible Correctness' - New York Times". Nytimes.com. 2004-04-23. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- Katja Rahlwes official website
- Interview with Katja Rahlwes
- Katja Rahlwes–Photographer Profile/Models.com