|• Total||55.36 km2 (21.37 sq mi)|
|• Density||7,400/km2 (19,000/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||98.4%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Postal code (street)||1431|
Katlehong is a township located 35 km east of Johannesburg and south of Germiston between two other townships of Thokoza and Vosloorus next to the N3 highway in the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality of Gauteng Province of South Africa.
Katlehong (place of success) was established in 1945 and has become a high-density area in Gauteng with 6 informal settlements in its southern part. There is serious overcrowding e.g. in each tiny yard, shacks are set up for rent - one toilet often serves five to six families. Despite being surrounded by an industrial area, there is a high level of unemployment. Katlehong is one of the most poorly served areas in Gauteng in terms of community development. Together with Thokoza and Vosloorus it forms the second biggest black township after Soweto.
Katlehong is home and gave birth to some of the South Africa's celebrated personalities and sports players, notably:
- Emmanuel Ngobese, professional soccer player
- Sibusiso Khumalo, professional soccer player
- Simon Mthimkhulu, professional soccer player
- "Main Place Katlehong". Census 2011.
- Township Vibes Taking The Townships To Another Level
- South Africa Today A YouTube Channel giving news updates on SA's high crime situation for tourists, business and media.
- Katlehong Resource Centre
|This Gauteng location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|