Katra, Jammu and Kashmir
|State||Jammu and Kashmir|
|Elevation||754 m (2,474 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Katra or Katra Vaishno Devi, as it is popularly known, is a small town in Reasi district of the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir situated in the foothills of the Trikuta Mountains, where the holy shrine of Vaishno Devi is located. It is located 42 km from the city of Jammu. Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University, one of the leading technical universities of India, is also located here.
As of 2011[update] India census, Katra along with Ban-Ganga had a population of 37569. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Katra has an average literacy rate of 70%, higher than the national average of 59.%: male literacy is 77%, and female literacy is 65%. In Katra, 14% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Katra serves as the base camp for pilgrims who visit Vaishno Devi. It has a thriving tourism industry that offers plenty of hotels, guest houses, restaurants, dhabas, fast-food joints that fit all kinds of budgets. Free accommodation is provided by some registered trusts in the form of Sarais for the poor. The number of pilgrims that visit the shrine every year has increased from 1.4 million in 1986 to 8.2 million in 2009. Over the years, a lot has changed, but one should not miss the opportunity to walk through the main bazaar (market) for buying (do not forget/hesitate to negotiate a bit) souvenirs, dryfruits, woolen garments, hosiery, leather jackets, etc.
To reach Vaishno Devi temple the pilgrims have to register at the Katra before starting the trek. By registering, the pilgrims get accidental insurance while on the trek for 1 lakh INR. It is a trek of 14 km.
There is another trek (1.5 km) from Vaishno Devi temple for Baba Bhaironnath. It is said that the pilgrimage is not complete until you visit this temple at last. The scenery throughout the trek is picturesque.
Environment-friendly auto rickshaws and helicopter services also have started now-a-days to make the journey a pleasant one.
Town has been connected by the roads and state highways since a long time but recently it has also been connected by Indian Railways. Jammu Udhampur Srinagar Baramulla Railway Link connects the Katra railway station of Northern Railways to the rest of Indian railways network. It had been inaugurated by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on July 4, 2014.
- Jammu tavi
- Talab Tillo
- Samba, Jammu
- Jammu Cantonment
- Chenab River Railway Bridge - a tall railway bridge under construction.
- Baghe-Bahu Kali Mata Temple and Park Jammu
- Sham Prasad Kesar, CPI(M) leader, from this place.
- FallingRain Map - elevation 753m
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Katra.|
- All Trains at Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra Railway Station
- Official website of the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board
- Complete Information Website on Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine
- Katra, Jammu and Kashmir travel guide from Wikivoyage