|Nickname(s): Home of Hospitality|
Location of Katsina State in Nigeria
|Date created||23 September 1987|
| • Governor
|Ibrahim Shema (PDP)|
|• Total||24,192 km2 (9,341 sq mi)|
|Area rank||17th of 36|
|Population (1991 census)|
|• Estimate (2005)||6,483,429|
|• Rank||5th of 36|
|• Density||160/km2 (420/sq mi)|
|• Total||$6.02 billion|
|• Per capita||$1,017|
|Time zone||WAT (UTC+01)|
|ISO 3166 code||NG-KT|
Katsina State is a state in northern Nigeria. Its capital is Katsina, and its Governor is Ibrahim Shema, a member of the People's Democratic Party. In 1987, Katsina State was formed from part of Kaduna State.
The state is predominantly Muslim, and Gobarau Minaret is an important building. Sharia is valid in the entire state. The Church of Nigeria has a Diocese of Katsina. The Redeemed Christian Church of God and the Roman Catholic Church are fairly present in the state.
Local Government Areas
Of Nigeria's 774 Local Government Areas, 34 are in Katsina State. They are:
Notable People from Katsina State
- Muhammadu Dikko, Emir of Katsina 1906-1944.
- Ibrahim Coomassie, Inspector General of Police 1993-1999
- Mohammed Bello, former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court
- Muhammadu Buhari, Military Head of State 1983-1985
- Shehu Musa Yar'Adua, politician, major general and Military Vice President 1976-1979
- Umaru Musa Yar'Adua, Governor of the State 1999-2007, and President of Nigeria 2007-2010; brother of Shehu
- Musa Yar'Adua, Federal Minister of Nigeria and later of Lagos Affairs in the First Republic; father of Shehu and Umaru.
- Hamza Rafindadi Zayyad, former head of the Technical Committee on Privatization and Commercialization
- Abdulmuminu Kabir Usman, Emir of Katsina
- Isa Kaita, first northern Nigeria minister of education and speaker of the house of parliament
- Hassan Usman Katsina, Military governor of the northern region 1966-1967.
- Mohammed Tukur Liman former majority leader of the Nigerian Senate.
- Alhaji (Dr) Mamman Shata a well-known Hausa griot/musician among the Hausa people of West and North-east Africa.
- Umaru Faruk Abdullahi former president of the Nigerian court of appeal
- Aminu Bello Masari former speaker house of representatives 2003 to 2007
- Abdullahi Dikko Inde, Comptroller-General Nigerian Customs Service
- Mahmud Kanti Bello, Former Chief Whip of the Senate
- Mamman Nasir, the first Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Northern Nigeria, Under Sir Ahmadu Bello
- Muhammadu Bashar, Minister of Economic Development, Northern Nigeria and later Emir of Daura
- Muhammadu Dikko Yusufu Inspector General of Police from 1975 to 1979
- Abba Musa Rimi, Governor of Kaduna State 1980 - 1983
- Lawal Kaita, Governor of Kaduna State 1983
- Garba Ja Abdulkadir, the first Secretary to Military Government, North Central State later renamed Kaduna State
- Ummaru Abdulmutallab, Federal Commissioner of Cooperative and Supply
- Amina Lawal, woman sentenced to death for giving birth to a child outside of wedlock (the sentence was overturned)
- Umar Faruk Abdulmutallab, sentenced to life imprisonment in the United States of America for attempting to bomb Northwest Airlines Flight 253 on Christmas Day, 2009.
- Sama'ila Mamman Kurfi, Former Minister of Agric under Ibrahim Babangida Former Senate Leader (PDP), 1999.
- Dahiru Barau Mangal,Chairman Max Air,Afdin Group of Companies
- "C-GIDD (Canback Global Income Distribution Database)". Canback Dangel. Retrieved 2008-08-20.
- Nkromah, Gamal. "Nigeria fastened with nails". Al-Ahram Weekly Online. Al-Ahram Weekly. Retrieved 2007-04-24.
- Two churches destroyed in Bauchi State, Nigeria