Cover page of the Katzmann Report
The Katzmann Report (or the Final Report by Katzmann) is one of the most important testimonies relating to the Holocaust in Poland and the extermination of Polish Jews during World War II. It was used as evidence in Nuremberg Trials (USA No. L-18, Exhibit-277) and numerous other proceedings against war criminals abroad. It is a leather-bound report by SS-Gruppenführer Fritz Katzmann, Commander of the German SS and Police in the District of Galicia, entitled "Lösung der Judenfrage im Distrikt Galizien" (The Solution of the Jewish Question in the District of Galicia), submitted on June 30, 1943 to the SS and Police Chief Friedrich Krüger. It describes part of the Operation Reinhard.
The Report was published in German and illustrated with photographs of the systems of persecution. A Polish translation of the report had been published in the 1950s, but was subject to the communist censorship and it did not have an accompanying scholarly analysis that came with the more recent edition by the Institute of National Remembrance. Full not censored text of "Katzman report" was published in 2009.
Report as an artifact
Modern historians consider the report to be of limited value in terms of evidence because of its intentional distortion of facts meant to cover up the wholesale theft of gold and money by various German officials. The 62-page book attempts to present the extermination of Jews as an orderly operation. It begins with the photo collection titled “The Solution of the Jewish Problem in East Galicia”, which is followed by the cost and benefit analysis. The report provides only a window into the scale of plunder. The totals are never rounded off. They are meant to lead the reader into believing in their authenticity.
- Wendy Lower (2011). "Katzmann Report". The Diary of Samuel Golfard and the Holocaust in Galicia. Rowman Altamira. p. 101. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- Claudia Koonz (November 2, 2005). "SS Man Katzmann’s “Solution of the Jewish Question in the District of Galicia”". The Raul Hilberg Lecture (University of Vermont): 2, 16–18. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- Fritz Katzmann, "Rozwiązanie kwestii żydowskiej w dystrykcie Galicja", Instytut Pamięci Narodowej 2009, EAN: 9788391598306, ISBN 83-915983-0-6
- Dariusz Libionka "AKCJA REINHARDT -Zagłada Żydów w Generalnym Gubernatorstwie", Warszawa, 2004, wydanie I, Instytut Pamięci Narodowej, ISBN 83-89078-68-6
- Institute of National Remembrance, Extermination of Jews by Nazis in the Polish Territories Research Programme, last accessed on 25 April 2007
- Institute of National Remembrance, Solving the Jewish Question in the District of Galicia publication, last accessed on 25 April 2007
- The Katzmann Report. Excerpt in English YadVashem.org
- Galicia District JewishGen.or