|Motto: "Progress, Tradition"|
Location of Kaufman in Kaufman County, Texas
|• Total||6.8 sq mi (17.7 km2)|
|• Land||6.6 sq mi (17.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||459 ft (140 m)|
|• Density||977.9/sq mi (377.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1338964|
Kaufman is located at (32.585395, -96.307673).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.8 square miles (18 km2), of which, 6.6 square miles (17 km2) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2) of it (2.64%) is water.
As of 2010 Kaufman had a population of 6,703. The median age was 32. The ethnic and racial composition of the population was 55.4% non-Hispanic white, 9.4% non-Hispanic black, 0.9% Native American, 0.9% Asian, 13.6% reporting some other race and 3.5% from two or more races. 32.6% of the population was Hispanic or Latino of any race.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,490 people, 2,179 households, and 1,579 families residing in the city. The population density was 977.9 people per square mile (377.4/km²). There were 2,310 housing units at an average density of 348.1 per square mile (134.3/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 47.83% White, 12.87% African American, 0.66% Native American, 0.42% Asian, 15.92% from other races, and 2.31% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 39.74% of the population.
There were 2,179 households out of which 40.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.1% were married couples living together, 15.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.5% were non-families. 24.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.86 and the average family size was 3.39.
In the city the population was spread out with 30.4% under the age of 18, 11.0% from 18 to 24, 30.1% from 25 to 44, 16.4% from 45 to 64, and 12.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 94.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $32,250, and the median income for a family was $38,983. Males had a median income of $29,637 versus $23,695 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,024. About 12.4% of families and 15.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.2% of those under age 18 and 14.1% of those age 65 or over.
In addition, Kaufman Christian School (KCS), a church-run primary school with classes from pre-kindergarten to sixth grades, also serves the area.
Colleges and universities
Trinity Valley Community College operates its Health Science Center in Kaufman (however, the Center does not offer general education courses; these must be taken at one of the other TVCC campuses).
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Kaufman has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "City of Kauffman Texas". City of Kauffman Texas. Retrieved October 3, 2012.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Profile for Kaufman, Texas, TX". ePodunk. Retrieved October 3, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- 2010 general profile of population and housing characteristics for Kaufman, Texas
- "Kaufman Independent School District". Kaufman Independent School District. Retrieved October 3, 2012.
- "Home." Legacy Academy. Retrieved on September 6, 2011. "Legacy Academy * 607 South Madison Street * Kaufman, TX 75142"
- Climate Summary for Kaufman, Texas
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kaufman, Texas.|
- City Of Kaufman website
- Kaufman Chamber of Commerce Online
- Kaufman, Texas from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Kaufman Independent School District