|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||820 ♂/♀|
Kaul is a panchayat village in the Pundri sub-tehsil of Kaithal district of Haryana, India. Earlier it formed part of the Kurukshetra and Karnal districts. Kaul is 38 km by road northwest of the city of Karnal, 32 km by road southwest of the town of Kurukshetra and 5 km by road southeast of the village of Dhandh, where the nearest railway station is located.
The population of Kaul village was 12,826 in 2011, which was almost five times the average size for villages in the district. The primary landowning group is the Ror community. Kaul is relatively well-developed and often thought of as a town. The infrastructure is well-developed, including a nearby power station. Kaul has a lot of Mohallas but the gotra of all the Rors in these Mohallas is still the same, Sagwal. Budda Patti, Tunda Patti, Bola Patti and Johad Patti are four of the main Mohallas in the village.
An old fort survives in a now-uninhabited part of the village and ascetics and saints stay there. Folklore has it that the wheel of Karna's chariot got stuck at that spot during his final fight with Arjuna in Mahabharat. Historically, Kaul was a major center of learning. A famous Sanskrit Mahavidyalaya joined the ashram of Kapil Muni, one of the most learned and revered Hindu sages of ancient India. Kapil Muni was mentioned by Krishna during the sermon of Gita to Arjuna in Mahabharat. The village has a Surya Kund (a sacred tank dedicated to the Sun God) just like several other villages of the Suryavanshi Ror people.
Kaul has many schools and two colleges. The Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University (CCSHAU) is a College of Agriculture in the village. The Kaul campus of the CCSHAU focuses its research on wheat and rice. Apart from agricultural education, Babu Anant Ram Janta College confers degrees.
- Balwant Singh "Ballu", an Indian Volleyball player, was born and raised in Kaul
- Chaudhary Ishwar Singh, former Haryana Vidhan Sabha Speaker
- Chaudhry Makhan Singh, Former M.L.A and former Chairman, Housing Board, Haryana
- Lt. Amar Singh Dhanday, former M.L.A of Haryana Vidhan Sabha and former Chairman of Harijan Kalyan Nigam, Haryana
- Sh. G.K. Dhanday, H.C.S (J) Senior Magistrate at present in Haryana Judiciary
- Sh. S.M Dhanday, H.V.S-1 belongs to Kaul
- Col Satpal Sagwal
- Babu anant ram janta college kaul
- CAPTAIN HIMANEESH SAGWAL (PILOT), JET AIRWAYS.
- Advocate Engineer Din Dayal, former General Manager , Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited.
- Sh.RAJ KUMAR , Jail suprintendent in haryana jail (H.P.S) 1.
- SH.Ram PAL ,junior lecturer ,cheeka kaithal.
- SH.BALBIR singh(bira), farmer
220 kv hvpnl kaul kuldeep sa
- 2011 Village Panchayat Code = 26354, "Reports of National Panchayat Directory: Village Panchayat Names of Pundri, Kaithal, Haryana". Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India.
- Mahabali Karna's chariot is known to have got stuck and rendered immobile in the marshy area presently covered by the Kaul village (kasba), Page 80, Folkloristics of Mahābhārata, by Vijneshu Mohan, Publisher B.R. Pub. Corp., 2003 ISBN 81-7646-331-0, ISBN 978-81-7646-331-7
- In Kurukshetra district, we find so many important places attached with the Sun God. Moreover in this area, we have many Surya-Kundas (tanks dedicated to Surya) e.g., at Habri, Kaul...., Page 81, Proceedings, Volume 6 by Punjabi University. Dept. of Punjab Historical Studies, Publisher Punjabi University, 1981, Original from the University of Virginia, Digitized 14 May 2009
- Janta College website