The Kavšek Bridge (Slovene: Kavškov most) or Kauschegg Bridge (Slovene: Kauscheggov most; the historical Slovene name inscribed on the bridge), sometimes listed as the Karchegger Bridge (Karcheggerjev most), is a one-arch stone bridge crossing Glinščica Creek in Podutik, a neighbourhood in Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia. It was built by the board of the first district road and named after Franz Kauschegg (Franc Kavšek), who led the works. It is part of Podutik Street (Podutiška cesta) and is used as a walkway and for a bicycle lane; a new bridge for motorised traffic has been built next to it.
The bridge has low stone walls on both sides built from Glinica limestone blocks in two rows. On its southern wall stands a column with a relief of the Madonna and Child in a shrine on its top. On its base, an intercession to Mary in four verses has been carved. Also written are the year of construction of the bridge and the name of the stonemason, Alojzij Vodnik. The relief is a faithful copy of the original one and was restored by Julijan Renko. The base is original, whereas the upper part of the column with the shrine was made as part of the rebuilding by the Vodnik family from Kamna Gorica near Podutik. The north wall had a stone cross, which was demolished after World War II.
The bridge was built in 1901 from local limestone under the direction of Franc Kauschegg, road committee member, and was used for road traffic until the 1960s. It collapsed on 29 May 1985. In 1993, it was rebuilt in its original form and opened for public use on 19 May 1993. Since August 2001, it has been protected as local cultural heritage.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kavšek Bridge.|
- Kuntarič Hribar, Irena (May 2008). "Kratka kronika dela v lanskem letu" [A Short Chronicle of Work in the Last Year]. Ljubljana: glasilo Mestne občine Ljubljana [Ljubljana: The Bulletin of the City Municipality of Ljubljana] (in Slovenian) XV (4/5): 37. ISSN 1318-797X.
- "Sklep o razglasitvi mostu čez Glinščico pri Podutiku za kulturni spomenik lokalnega pomena" [Resolution on Declaring the Bridge across the Glinščica at Podutik a Cultural Monument of Local Significance]. Official Gazettee (in Slovenian). 20 July 2001.
- "Ljubljana - Most čez Glinščico pri Podutiku" [Ljubljana – Bridge across the Glinščica at Podutik]. Registry of Immovable Cultural Heritage (in Slovenian). Ministry of Culture, Slovenia. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- Inscription on the northern side. (in Slovene) Kavšek Bridge, Podutik District, Ljubljana. Board of the first district road. 6 January 2012.
- Anton Ramovš (20 May 1993). "Podutiški most je obnovljen" [The Podutik Bridge Has Been Renovated]. Delo (in Slovenian). Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- "Znamenja v župniji" [Signs in the Parish] (in Slovenian). Parish of Ljubljana Podutik. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- Čurin, Jože (19 February 1988). "Po sledeh mnogih obljub" [Following the Trails of Numerous Promises] (in Slovenian) 27. Javna tribuna. p. 5. ISSN 0351-9902.