Kawal Wildlife Sanctuary
|Kawal Wildlife Sanctuary
|wild life sanctuary|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
It is spread over an area of 893 km2. It is increasingly getting threatened by growing human encroachments, rampant poaching, illegal wood felling and habitat loss.
The sanctuary is one of the richest Teak forests in the State with dense pristine areas free of human disturbance. The River Kadam flows through this area. Dry Deciduous Teak Forests mixed with Bamboo, Terminalia, Pterocarpus, Anogeisus and Cassias.
Mammal species that have been sighted include tiger, leopard, gaur, cheetal, sambar, nilgai, barking deer, chowsingha, sloth bear. Several species of birds & reptiles are also found in the sanctuary.
Accessible from Mancherial 50 kilometres (31 mi). and from Hyderabad 270 kilometres (170 mi). by road. Nearest Airport in Hyderabad.
Tiger reserve status
It was notified as tiger reserve in April 2012. In this regard habitat development is undertaken with release of 150 cheetals as prey population. To check poaching new check posts have been created. Traditional sources of water were improved.
- "Kawal to be developed as eco-tourism centre". The Times of India. 2011-11-04. Retrieved 2012-03-17.
- "Zoo park stripped of striped beauty - South India - Hyderabad - ibnlive". Ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 2012-03-17.
- "Andhra Pradesh / Hyderabad News : ‘Carry on Heaven’ play to be staged tomorrow". The Hindu. 2007-10-06. Retrieved 2012-03-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kawal Wildlife Sanctuary.|
- Official website
- Kawal wildlife sanctuary from Tourism Department of Andhra Pradesh (India) State Government website
- Forest Department of Andhra Pradesh (India) State Government website
|This article about a location in Andhra Pradesh is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about protected areas of India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|