||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (November 2010)|
|Born||Jackson, Michigan, United StatesNovember 11, 1933 in|
|Co-Founder, Precept Ministries (1968)|
Kay Arthur (born November 11, 1933 in Jackson, Michigan) is an international Bible teacher, four-time ECPA Christian Book Award winning author, and co-CEO of Precept Ministries International. Kay has systematized studying the Bible, developing a set of steps to follow so as to "mine" the details of the given book under study. Being systematized, it is accessible to lay persons, rather than scholars only. Her method has been used by thousands, being taught and utilized in small to medium sized home study groups. This method does not teach anything as to what the book under study teaches, but guides the process of the student discovering what is within it. This method relies heavily on inductive study, the process of building the picture from the details. Her method of Bible study, as well as her Bible teaching, her championing of the Inductive Bible Study Method, and her national and international media broadcasts have inspired many others to study the Bible methodically.
Kay and her second husband, Jack, were serving as missionaries in Mexico in the late 1960s when medical problems forced them to leave the mission field. They returned to their home base in Chattanooga, Tennessee, confident that the Lord had further plans for them. Jack became the station manager of a local Christian radio station, and Kay taught the Bible to teens in their living room.
The number of teens attending Kay’s bible study group steadily grew, and a 32-acre farm was purchased to accommodate the expanding ministry, which was named Reach Out Ranch. The radio station was sold in 1972, and Jack became full-time administrator for Reach Out Ranch. The ministry’s name was eventually changed to Precept Ministries International (PMI), in order to more clearly communicate the organization’s focus of establishing people in God’s Word.
Precept Ministries International
Since co-founding Precept Ministries International, Kay has written more than 100 books and Bible studies, with over 11 million in print. Her inductive Bible studies are available in nearly 150 countries in approximately 70 languages. Precept Inductive Bible Study groups meet in all 50 states of the USA.
Kay is a conference speaker who speaks extensively, both nationally and internationally, teaching the Word of God and the Inductive Bible Study Method. She was awarded the NRB Hall of Fame Award at the 2011 National Religious Broadcasters (NRB) Convention & Exposition.“The paramount concern Kay Arthur has is for the sheep to follow the Good Shepherd,” said NRB President and CEO, Dr. Frank Wright. “Kay and Jack have dedicated four decades to equip Christians with the tools necessary to mine the Scriptures on their own.”
Precepts for Life
Kay hosts a daily radio, television and online (www.PreceptsForLife.com) Bible Study Teaching program called Precepts for Life, which walks listeners through the Bible, book-by-book and verse-by-verse, using the Inductive Bible Study Method. Precepts for Life has an audience reach of over 75 million households and broadcasts to over 30 countries. Precepts for Life was voted Best Television Teaching Program for 2004 and 2009 by the National Religious Broadcasters.
Transform Student Ministries
Kay Arthur is the founder of Transform Student Ministries www.TransformStudent.org, which is the generational equipping arm of Precept Ministries International. The mission for both Precept Ministries and Transform Student Ministries is to come alongside teens, college students, and leaders to root them in God’s Word. The ministries’ focus is three-fold: 1) to challenge youths to know God and walk obediently by instructing on how to study His Word inductively; 2) to train them to lead others in the power of the Holy Spirit; and 3) to provide biblical discipleship through Bible study materials, conferences, seminars, and camps.
Kay was awarded the NRB Hall of Fame Award at the National Religious Broadcasters (NRB) Convention and Exposition in 2011. Kay Arthur, Lois Crawford, and Aimee Semple McPherson are the only female recipients of this prestigious award. Other Hall of Fame Award winners included: Billy Graham, Chuck Colson, William Bright, James Dobson, Larry Burkett and a host of additional Christians; all Christian communicators who have exhibited the highest standard of faithfulness in Christian service.
Kay received a Doctor of Humane Letters from Tennessee Temple University in Chattanooga, Tennessee in 2007. She currently serves as Executive Vice President of Precept Ministries, and she and Jack share the office of CEO.
Kay is active in social media outreach and has currently more than 100,000 Facebook fans and builds community on Twitter.
In November 2009, Arthur signed an ecumenical statement known as the Manhattan Declaration calling on evangelicals, Catholics and Orthodox not to comply with rules and laws permitting abortion, same-sex marriage and other matters that go against their religious consciences.
- Lord, Teach Me to Pray, video teaching series ISBN 978-1-4158-3212-7
- A Marriage Without Regrets, Gold Medallion Book Award Winner, ISBN 0-7369-2075-7
- The New Inductive Study Bible, Gold Medallion Book Award Winner, ISBN 0-7369-0016-0
- His Imprint My Expression, Gold Medallion Book Award Winner, ISBN 1-56507-399-1
- Lord, I Need Grace to Make It Today, Gold Medallion Book Award Winner, ISBN 1-57856-441-7
- How To Study Your Bible, ISBN 0-7369-0544-8
- "Kay Arthur". Christianbook.com. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- Our History, Precept Ministries International
- "Kay Arthur to Receive Prestigious NRB Hall of Fame Award". NRB. 2011-03-01. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- Random House, Inc., author spotlight
- "Going Beyond Ministries". Goingbeyond.com. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- Simpson, Amy (2007-01-05). "Kyria's Gifted for Leadership: Kay Arthur". Blog.christianitytoday.com. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- Manhattan Declaration: A Call of Christian Conscience
- "2001 Gold Medallion Book Awards Winners". Christian Book Expo. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "Gold, Platinum & Diamond Sales Awards presented in 2010". Christian Book Expo. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "1991 Gold Medallion Book Awards Winners". Christian Book Expo. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- Kay Arthur's FaceBook
- Kay Arthur's Twitter
- Precept Ministries International
- Precepts for Life Video Broadcast
- Transform Student Ministries