|Dame Kay Davies|
Kay Davies in 2008
|Born||Kay Elizabeth Partridge
1 April 1951
|Institutions||University of Oxford|
|Alma mater||Somerville College;
Wolfson College, Oxford
|Known for||Duchenne muscular dystrophy research|
She is the Dr Lee's Professor of Anatomy at Oxford University and a fellow of Hertford College. She is director of the MRC functional genetics unit, a governor of the Wellcome Trust and a director of the Oxford Centre for Gene Function. Her research group has an international reputation for work on Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD). In the 1980s, she developed a test which allowed for the screening of foetuses whose mothers have a high risk of carrying DMD.
Davies' research group has an international reputation for work on Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD). In the 1980s, she developed a test which allowed for the screening of foetuses whose mothers have a high risk of carrying DMD. DMD occurs when the dystrophin protein fails to express in muscle cells due to a mutation in the gene which codes for the protein. In 1989 Davies discovered that the utrophin protein has similar properties to dystrophin and has since shown in mouse models that up regulation of the former protein in muscle cells can compensate for the absence of latter.
Davies is currently collaborating with ERC fellow Dr Peter Oliver investigating neurodegenerative and movement disorders.
Davies is director of the MRC functional genetics unit, a governor of the Wellcome Trust  and, with Frances Ashcroft and Peter Donnelly is a director of the Oxford Centre for Gene Function. She is an Executive Editor of the journal Human Molecular Genetics.
Davies was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 2003. Already a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE), she was advanced to Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) in the 2008 New Year Honours.
She is an Honorary Fellow, Somerville College, University of Oxford. She gave the inaugural Rose Lecture at Kingston University in 2012 and delivered the Harveian Oration at the Royal College of Physicians in 2013.
- Oxford University Scientific Society (Senior Member)
- Who's who 2014. 2013. p. 576. ISBN 9781408181195.
- "Kay E Davies". www.mrcfgu.ox.ac.uk. MRC Functional Genomics. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Professor Dame Kay Davies CBE, FRS, FMedSci". Wellcome Trust.
- "Human Molecular Genetics Editorial Board". Oxford Journals. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Harveian Oration 2013". Royal College of Physicians. Retrieved 7 April 2014.
- "Desert Island Discs with Kay Davies". Desert Island Discs. 2009-02-15. BBC. Radio 4. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/desertislanddiscs_20090215.shtml.
|Library resources about
|By Kay Davies|
- Kay E. Davies homepage in the MRC Functional Genetics Unit
- Research of Kay E. Davies on the molecular analysis of neuromuscular and neurological disorders