Kay S. Hymowitz
Kay Hymowitz is an American author. Born in Philadelphia in 1948, she earned her B.A. at Brandeis University, and her M.A. in English literature from Tufts University. She taught English literature and composition at Brooklyn College and at the Parsons School of Design. As of 2010 she was the William E. Simon fellow at the Manhattan Institute and a contributing editor of City Journal. Her writing has appeared in the Wall Street Journal. She lives in Brooklyn with her husband and three children.
- Ready or not: why treating children as small adults endangers their future--and ours (1999)
- Liberation's children: parents and kids in a postmodern age (2003)
- Marriage and caste in America: separate and unequal families in a post-marital age (2006)
- Manning Up: How the Rise of Women Has Turned Men Into Boys (2011)
Views and reception
In a Wall Street Journal editorial, Hymowitz argues that the widely reported marriage crisis is more evident than real. "[M]arital breakdown is not rampant across the land. It is concentrated among low-income and black couples. Americans seem to have a lot of trouble grasping this fact, probably because so much public space is taken up by politicians, celebrities and journalists with marriages on the skids". She argues that divorce is declining among well educated Caucasians, and that couples are registering increased marital satisfaction, rather than divorcing, once the children leave the nest.
According to Scripps News Service, however, Hymowitz perceives a gap between the education, accomplishments and aspirations of young women and men in today's society. "Hymowitz paints a mass portrait of 20-something men getting drunk and sitting in front of their Play Stations, while 20-something women get great jobs and make families on their own." 
Ilya Somin offers a libertarian critique of Hymowitz: "My main criticism of Hymowitz’s essay was that she falsely conflates libertarians’ opposition to government regulation of personal choices with an indiscriminate embrace of 1960s style lifestyle excesses."
- Kay Hymowitz, '"Losing Confidence in Marriage'", The Wall Street Journal, December 21, 2010 http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124658294270189935.html
- Bonnie Erbe, "Kay Hymowitz talks about boys and girls and how they mature", Scripps News Service, February 23, 2011 http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/59876
- Rob Asghar, "'Where Are the Good Men'? Perhaps You Need Glasses", The Huffington Post, February 21, 2011 http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rob-asghar/where-are-the-good-men-pe_b_826250.html
- Lisa Schiffrin, "Review of 'Marriage and Caste in America", Commentary Magazine, March 2007 http://www.commentarymagazine.com/article/marriage-and-caste-in-america-by-kay-s-hymowitz/ Accessed February 24, 2011
- Ilya Somin, "Kay Hymowitz’s Response to Her Libertarian Critics", The Volokh Conspiracy September 28, 2007 http://volokh.com/2007/09/28/kay-hymowitzs-response-to-her-libertarian-critics/