The Kayaderosseras Creek, usually shortened to Kaydeross, is the largest river that lies completely within Saratoga County, New York State. It originates in the northern part of the county, passes through the Town of Greenfield and the Town of Milton, and serves as the boundary between the City of Saratoga Springs and the Town of Malta before emptying into Saratoga Lake.
The Mohawk tribe of the Iroquois five nations utilized the Kayaderosseras Valley as a summer hunting and fishing destination. They named the creek Kayaderosseras (which translates into "Valley of the Crooked Stream") due to its tortuous course and dramatic drop in elevation. One source derives the name from the French, a corruption of either pay arrosé, a watered country, or pay des ruisseaux, a country of streams, adapted by the Mohawks when they pushed out the previous inhabitants, the Mahicans, in the 1600s.:p.10
The creek is best known for providing water power to a host of paper mills and a hard edge tool factory in the 19th century. "Paper Bag King" George West established his paper bag empire on the banks of the Kayaderosseras Creek in Rock City Falls in 1862. Of the dozen paper mills situated along the creek in the late 19th century, only the Cottrell Paper Company survives today.
From 1898 to 1929, a small, 12 mile long electric trolley railroad closely followed the banks of the creek to serve the paper mills and the hard edge tool factory of Isaiah Blood. The Ballston Terminal Railroad was unique in that it was one of the few trolley railroads with the primary purpose of hauling freight.
Over-logging caused the flow of the creek to decrease dramatically in the late 19th century and early 20th century. However, today the creek possesses several popular fishing spots, especially in Rock City Falls, Milton Center, and Craneville.
1. Lost Industries of the Kaydeross Valley, 2007
2. The Ballston Terminal Railroad And Its Successors, 2007
- Weise, Arthur James (1887). History of Round Lake, Saratoga County, N.Y.. New York: Douglas Taylor.
- Lost Industries of the Kaydeross Valley
- The Ballston Terminal Railroad
- Friends of the Kayaderosseras
- Ballston Spa History - Industries and Railroads
- Town of Milton, Saratoga County, NY
- Taff, Conor. Geologic History of the Kayaderosseras Watershed
- Kayaderosseras Creek Canoe and Kayak Trail