|This article does not cite any references or sources. (May 2009)|
Kazimierz Brandys (27 October 1916 – 11 March 2000) was a Polish essayist and writer of film scripts.
Brandys was born in Łódź. He was the brother of the writer Marian Brandys and husband of the translator Maria Zenowicz. He completed a law degree at the University of Warsaw. He was first published in 1935 as a theatrical critic, in the literary monthly ""Kuźnia Młodych". Between 1945 and 1950 he was a member of the editorial board of the weekly "Kuźnica". In 1946 he joined the Polish Workers' Party. Beginning in 1956 he was the spokesperson for the party's program of "renewal" and "moral cleansing". Between 1956 and 1960 he was on the editorial board of the weekly "Nowa Kultura". In 1966 he left the communist party as a protest against repressions against Leszek Kołakowski. In 1970 and 1971 he taught Slavistics at the Sorbonne. In 1976 he signed the Letter of 59, a protest against changes to the constitution of the People's Republic of Poland. Between 1977 and 1980 he was on the editorial board of "Zapis". After 1981 he lived outside of Poland. He died in 2000, in Paris.
- Drewniany koń (The Wooden Horse), Warsaw: Czytelnik, 1946.
- Między wojnami (Between the Wars):
- Samson, Warsaw: Czytelnik, 1948.
- Antygona (Antygone), Warsaw: Czytelnik, 1948.
- Troja, miasto otwarte (Troy: Open City), Warsaw: Czytelnik, 1949.
- Człowiek nie umiera (Man Does Not Die), Warsaw: Czytelnik, 1951.
- Obywatele (Citizens), Warsaw: Czytelnik, 1954.
- Matka Królów (Mother of the Kings), Warsaw: Czytelnik, 1957.
- Romantyczność (Romanticism), stories, Warsaw: Czytelnik, 1960.
- Sposób bycia (Ways of Behaving), Warsaw: Czytelnik, 1963.
- Jak być kochaną i inne opowiadania (How to be Loved and Other Stories), Warsaw: Czytelnik, 1970.
- Wariacje pocztowe (Postal Variations), Warsaw: Czytelnik, 1972.
- Pomysł (The Idea), Warsaw: PIW, 1974.
- Nierzeczywistość (Unreality), Warsaw: NOWA, 1977.
- Rondo', Warsaw: Czytelnik, 1982.
Memoirs, journals, essays
- Miesiące (Months), Warsaw-Paris: Instytut Literacki, 1978–1987.
- Sztuka konwersacji (The Art of Conversation), London: Aneks, 1990.
- Charaktery i pisma (Character and Writing), London: Aneks, 1991.
- Zapamiętane (Remembered), Cracow: WL, 1995.
- Przygody Robinsona (Robinson's Adventures), Warsaw: Iskry, 1999.