December 18, 1960 |
|Field||Monetarism, Japanese economic theory, financial theory, theory of economic policy|
|Alma mater||University of Tokyo|
|Influences||John Maynard Keynes, Milton Friedman|
|Awards||23rd Tanzan Ishibashi award (2002)|
Kazuhide Uekusa (植草 一秀 Uekusa Kazuhide?, born December 18, 1960) is a Japanese economist, economic analyst, former senior economist at Nomura Research Institute, and chairman of the Three-Nations Research Institute. He was arrested in 2004 and 2006 for sex offences.
Life and career
In 1979, he entered the University of Tokyo and majored in economics. Uekusa joined Nomura Research Institute in April 1983 after graduating from University of Tokyo in March 1983. He obtained positions as a researcher of Fiscal and Monetary Policy Institute at the Ministry of Finance in July 1985, an assistant professor at the Economic Research Institute at Kyoto University in June 1991, an honorary fellow of the Hoover Institution at Stanford University in October 1993, a senior economist at Nomura Research Institute in April 2002, and became a professor at the graduate school in Waseda University from April 2003, until he was dismissed in April 2004. Afterwards, he established the Three-Nations Research Institute, and became a chairman of the company on April 1, 2005. In April 2006, he made a career comeback in an academic position as a visiting professor at Nagoya University of Commerce & Business graduate school in Nagoya. He lectured on "national economic strategy" until the arrest in September of the year.
On April 8, 2004, Uekusa was arrested for trying to peep under a high school girl's skirt using his hand mirror on an escalator at Shinagawa Station of East Japan Railway Company in Minato, Tokyo. Immediately after the arrest, Uekusa admitted his guilt, and he apologized. He was dismissed from being a professor on May 7, 2004 because of the arrest, despite denying the charges.
His trial opened at the Tokyo District Court on March 23, 2005, and the Chief Justice fined him 500,000 yen and confiscated his hand mirror. He insisted that it was an "unfair judgement" and intended to appeal. The ruling was established however as he did not make the appeal by the deadline on April 6, 2005.
Uekusa was arrested again at Keikyū Kamata Station for molesting a girl in a Keikyu train on September 13, 2006, at around 10:10 p.m. On September 27, 2006, Nagoya University of Commerce & Business announced that they had dismissed him from his duties as a visiting professor. Uekusa claimed to be innocent, saying that he was drunk when he was arrested, so he does not remember what happened that night. He was indicted for chikan on October 4, 2006.
On January 22, 2007, Uekusa was released from the Tokyo Detention Center on bail of 6 million yen.
On October 16, 2007, Uekusa was sentenced to four months in prison by Presiding Judge Sho Kamisaka of the Tokyo District Court. He repeated his earlier denials, but fabric traces on his suit in addition to witness testimony were enough to convince the court that he had groped under the victim's skirt. In handing down the sentence, Kamisaka noted that "The court cannot anticipate that the accused will be rehabilitated" on his own recognizance. Uekusa vowed to appeal, in a statement saying "the truth will always prevail." On April 16, 2008, The Tokyo High Court upheld a four-month prison term for Uekusa. On June 25, 2009, The Supreme Court turned down Uekusa's final appeal.
In an interview with journalist Benjamin Fulford on June 19, 2008, he stated that he had been arrested in the national policy investigation after criticizing an economic policy by Junichiro Koizumi and Heizō Takenaka on a television program.
- The Political Economics of Interest rates, Foreign Exchanges, and Stock Prices (金利・為替・株価の政治経済学 Kinri kawase kabuka no seiji keizaigaku?). Iwanami Shoten Publishing, Tokyo 1992, ISBN 4-00-004173-8
- The Future Japanese Economy: Resolutions for the Prosperity (これからの日本経済 景気回復への方策 Korekara no nihon keizai: Keiki kaifuku e no hosaku?) with Kentaro Hasegawa. Gattkyusha, Tokyo 1993, ISBN 4051056368
- Japan's Bottom Line (日本の総決算 Nihon no sōkessan?). Kodansha, Tokyo 1999, ISBN 4-06-206330-1
- Modern Japanese Economic Policy Theory (現代日本経済政策論 Gendai Nihon keizai seisakuron?). Iwanami Shoten, Tokyo 2001, ISBN 4-00-026268-8
- Idealized Financing: Regeneration needs Marketing the Risks (あるべき金融 リスクの市場化なくして再生なし Arubeki kinnyu: Risuku no shijoka nakushite saisei nashi?) with Taichi Sakaiya and Takeaki Kariya. Toyo keizai shinposha, Tokyo 2003, ISBN 4492653341
- The Uekusa Report: Factors Defining FY2006 (ウエクサ・レポート 2006年を規定するファクター Uekusa Repōto Nisenroku nen o Kitei suru Fakutā?). Shisei Bungaku, Tokyo 2006 ISBN 4-902995-01-8
- Untold Truth - At The Detention Center (知られざる真実－勾留地にて－ Shirarezaru Shinjitsu - Koryuchi nite?). Epushiron Publishing Project, Tokyo 2007, ISBN 490314528X
- Traitor's Last Days (売国者たちの末路 Baikokushatachi no Matsuro?) with Takahiko Soejima. Shodensha, Tokyo 2009 ISBN 4-396-61334-2
- Independence of Japan From The Continued U.S. Occupation Since World War Two (日本の独立 Nihon no Dokuritsu?). Asukashinshya, Tokyo 2010, ISBN 4864100489
- Regeneration of Japan: Breaking Away from the Declining Slavish Economy to the U.S. (日本の再生 機能不全に陥った対米隷属経済からの脱却 Nihon no saisei: Kino fuzen ni ochiitta taibei reizoku kara no dakkyaku?). Seishisha, Tokyo 2011, ISBN 4905042321
- Increasing Consumption Taxes destroy the Country: Revise The Three Political Deception (消費増税亡国論 三つの政治ペテンを糺す! Shohi zozei bokokuron: mitsu no seiji peten o tadasu?). Asukashinsha, Tokyo 2012, ISBN 4864101639
- Miscarriage of justice: How the Government makes the Innocent Guilty (国家は「有罪(えんざい)」をこうして創る Kokka wa enzai o koushite tsukuru?) with Takahiko Soejima and Hirohiko Takahashi. Shodensha, Tokyo 2012 ISBN 439661425X
- Interest Rates・Foreign Exchange・Stock Prices' Changes: In Search of the Trap of Leading Towards Inflation (金利・為替・株価大躍動 ~インフレ誘導の罠を読み抜く Kinri, Kawase, Kabukahendo: Infure yudo o yomitoku?). Businesssha, Tokyo 2013, ISBN 4828417044
- The Cursed Plague of The Slavish Obedience to the United States (鳩山由紀夫 孫崎享 植草一秀 「対米従属」という宿痾(しゅくあ) Taibei juzoku toiu shukua?) with Ukeru Magosaki and Yukio Hatoyama. Asukashinsha, Tokyo 2013, ISBN 4864102546
- Abenorisk:The Seven Sins that Meltdown Japan (アベノリスク 日本を融解させる7つの大罪 Abenorisk: Nihon o yukai saseru nanatsu no taizai?). Kodansha, Tokyo 2013, ISBN 4062184656
- 20 Intelligentsia approaching The Truth of Ozawa Incident: Question of the Conspiracy of authorities and the media (20人の識者がみた「小沢事件」の真実―捜査権力とメディアの共犯関係を問う！ Nijunin no shikisha ga mita Ozawa jiken no shinjitsu: Sosakenryoku to medhia no kyohan kankei o tou?). Nihonbungeisha, Tokyo 2013, ISBN 4537260521
- The Collapse of Japanese Economy:The Terror of Reactionary Policy (日本経済撃墜 -恐怖の政策逆噴射- Nihon keizai gekitsui: Kyofu no seisaku gyakufunsha?). Businesssha, Tokyo 2013, ISBN 4828417346
- Uekusa, Kazuhide (2010-11-13). 「ウィキペディア植草一秀」に含まれる重大虚偽情報 [False information contained on the Kazuhide Uekusa Wikipedia article] (in Japanese). Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- past award winners
- Kazuhide Uekusa (2007). 知られざる真実 勾留地にて [Untold Truth: At the Detention Center] (in Japanese). Tokyo: Epushiron Publishing Project. pp. 209–269. ISBN 490314528X.
- Kazuhide Uekusa; Takahiko Soejima; Hirohiko Takahashi (2012). 国家は「有罪(えんざい)」をこうして創る 「植草事件」裁判記録 [Miscarriage of Justice: How the Government Makes the Innocent Guilty] (in Japanese). Tokyo: Shodensha. pp. 195–216. ISBN 439661425X.
- Anil Aggrawal (2009). Forensic and Medico-legal Aspects of Sexual Crimes and Unusual Sexual Practices. CRC Press. pp. 134, 185. ISBN 9781420043082.
- Japundit » Nagoya U hires perv prof
- Kamijo, Masashi (July 2004). 植草教授の奇妙な行動 [The strange behaviour of Professor Uekusa]. Asia X (in Japanese). Media Japan PTE Ltd. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- "Peeping economist nabbed in groping". The Japan Times. 2006-09-15.
- "植草一秀教授、のぞきの疑い JR品川駅で現行犯逮捕" [Professor Kazuhide Uekusa arrested at JR Shinagawa Station on suspicion of peeping]. Asahi Shimbun (in Japanese). 2004-04-12.
- "Economist denies looking up skirt". The Japan Times. 2004-06-18.
- "TV economist held over peek up dress". The Japan Times. 2004-04-13.
- "Scholar denies peeping up skirt". The Japan Times. 2004-08-31.
- "植草元教授に有罪判決 手鏡事件" [Guilty verdict for Professor Kazuhide Uekusa hand mirror case]. Asahi Shimbun (in Japanese). 2005-03-23.
- "植草被告の有罪確定 手鏡事件" [Uekusa's guilty verdict confirmed in hand mirror case]. Asahi Shimbun. 2005-04-07.
- "Peeping Tom to pay fine, lose mirror". The Japan Times. 2005-04-08.
- Ryann Connell (2006-09-22). "Third strike for naughty number cruncher Kazuhide Uekusa". Mainichi Daily News.
- "植草教授、また逮捕 女子高生に痴漢の疑い" [Professor Uekusa arrested again - on suspicion of groping high-school girl]. Asahi Shimbun (in Japanese). 2006-09-14.
- "女子高生に痴漢、植草容疑者起訴" [Uekusa prosecuted for groping high-school girl]. Asahi Shimbun (in Japanese). 2006-10-05.
- "植草元教授に6か月求刑 電車痴漢事件 東京地裁" [6-month sentence requested for former professor Uekusa in Tokyo groping case at Tokyo District Court]. Asahi Shimbun (in Japanese). 2007-07-18.
- "植草被告、実刑4カ月 痴漢の罪で東京地裁判決" [Uekusa receives 4-month prison sentence at Tokyo District Court in groping case]. Asahi Shimbun (in Japanese). 2007-10-16.
- Jun Hongo (2007-10-17). "Groping economist gets four-month prison term". The Japan Times.
- "Man sentenced to life for 28 rapes, attempted sexual assaults". The Japan Times. 2008-04-17.
- "Uekusa prison term upheld by top court". The Japan Times. 2009-06-28.
- "植草一秀ＶＳベンジャミン・フルフォード対談" [Kazuhide Uekusa talks with Benjamin Fulford]. Youtube.com. 2008-07-20. Retrieved 2013-01-04.
- Three-Nations Research Institute website (Japanese)
- Official blog (Japanese)
- Kazuhide Uekusa on Twitter