Location in Hawaii County and the state of Hawaii
|• Total||2.5 sq mi (6.3 km2)|
|• Land||2.5 sq mi (6.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||341 ft (104 m)|
|• Density||901.2/sq mi (352.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Hawaii-Aleutian (UTC-10)|
|GNIS feature ID||0360892|
Keaau (also written as Keaʻau) is a census-designated place (CDP) in Hawaii County, Hawaii, United States located in the District of Puna. The population was 2,010 at the 2000 census. The population increased by 12.1% to 2,253 at the 2010 census.
2010 Census data
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,253 people in 701 households residing in the CDP. The population density was 901.2 people per square mile (352.0/km²). There were 757 housing units at an average density of 302.8 per square mile (118.3/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 12.38% White, 0.22% African American, 0.18% American Indian & Alaska Native, 52.02% Asian, 7.50% Native Hawaiian & Pacific Islander, 0.44% from other races, and 27.25% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.74% of the population.
There were 701 households out of which 28.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them. The average household size was 3.21.
In the Keaau CDP the population was spread out with 23.7% under the age of 18, 9.5% from 18 to 24, 9.6% from 25 to 34, 19.6 from 35 to 49, 20.4% from 50 to 64, and 17.2% who were 65 years of age or older. For every 100 females there were 99.6 males. For every 100 males there were 100.4 females.
The median income for a household in the CDP at the 2000 census was $39,722, and the median income for a family in 2000 was $43,347. Males had a median income in 2000 of $27,344 versus $23,287 for females. The per capita income for the CDP in 2000 was $14,657. About 9.6% of families and 12.3% of the population were below the poverty line in 2000, including 14.9% of those under age 18 and 9.0% of those age 65 or over.
Points of interest
- Hi'iaka's Healing Herb Garden
- Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Corporation visitors center between Hilo and Keaau
- US Census Bureau - 2010 Population Finder - Keaau CDP
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- cf. U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Keaʻau
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory & Visitors Center". on GoHawaii.Com official state tourism web site. Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau. Retrieved 2009-08-25.